2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
for those nuclear musical scientists out there, I'm thrilled to submit this new advanced class on playing outside the changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUj-a29mzI

Thank you all for your kind messages, and not-so kind messages:)

Blessings and keep swingin

Your pal

Dave Frank

Last edited by davefrank; 05/12/12 10:25 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
See you next year!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
What wonderfully inventive stuff, Mr. Frank! You have another winner here.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for posting the lesson. I feel like one of the biggest problem with playing outside is using it in such a way that it's actually musical. I've noticed that a lot of people(myself included) have learned about outside playing from our teachers and/or from transcribing, but I feel like most of us struggle to use them in such a way that it's musically meaningful... For me the effort to play outside too contrived or forced. I also feel the same way about playing polyrhythms too.

I am saying this as someone who has probably done over 400+ pages of transcription in my lifetime and spent considerable time learning many solos note by note. It's one thing to learn the concept, but being able to do them and own these concept as yours seems like something else. For me it doesn't seem like learning any more concepts or transcribing will change the fact that I am not satisfied with how I play these ideas.

I guess my question is, what did it take your for these things to be your own musical language, rather than some concept you are trying to execute, and feeling like it's not really working like you intended?

Edit: Btw here are some superimpositions I use on F Blues

First four Bars

F-Locrian
F7sus Eb7sus|Db7sus B7sus|
F7sus Ab7sus|F#min7 B7sus|

Last 8 bars

Gmin7|Bb-7 Eb7|Dbmin7 F#7|Gmin7 C7
Gmin7|Bb-7 Eb7|Abmin7 Db7|Amin7 D7|

Last edited by etcetra; 05/18/12 04:40 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
It took 6 months behind bars (pun) at the Iowa Correctional Facility for Women.

Playing outside seems to work best I notice as a question of WHEN to go into it. That little guy in your head will give you the signal, after usually improvising normally for awhile, to head outside and play. If I catch the signal correctly, it seems to fit at that point..almost any outside system should work theoretically, and then you get the signal to go back inside..

DF

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I would not presume to answer any question directed to Mr. Frank, but here is another observation, for whatever it might be worth:
One can "get away with" playing outside the chords more gracefully if the actual underlying harmonies are not as complex. Indeed, someone like Tyner makes great use of the technique where the basic chord changes are a little more static, to add additional interest.

This is one reason why a BASIC 12-bar blues seems an excellent place to learn the technique. I have a feeling if one is also adding complex alternate chords at the same time, we are going to lose "home base".
Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by davefrank
It took 6 months behind bars (pun) at the Iowa Correctional Facility for Women.

Playing outside seems to work best I notice as a question of WHEN to go into it. That little guy in your head will give you the signal, after usually improvising normally for awhile, to head outside and play. If I catch the signal correctly, it seems to fit at that point..almost any outside system should work theoretically, and then you get the signal to go back inside..

DF

Dave, thanks for the feedback. I think you have a great point. I do agree that it works best when it's spontaneous and the little guy in your head is telling you to go there naturally. It doesn't work so well when you force it to happen. I think part of the problem for me is becoming too excited/overly tense mentally.. I go too far and miss my signal to go back.

I guess it all comes down to doing(screwing up) enough on gigs until you can do it more fluently smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dave,

I want to ask about those (block) chord clusters you played during uour Lennie Tristano workshop video. You plaid chord clusters over "What Is This Thing Called Love"
It sounds to me that you are usually playing 4 note close voicings. For example on the G-7b5 with a Db in the melody, you play the following chord tones F G Bb Db .
And when the the melody is a tension note (11,9 ,13) you still play the bottom 3 notes notes using G-7b5 chord tones rather than a diminished voicing like George Shearing would.
Am I correct?

Thank
rtc

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
yes. Shearing would use the diminished on the non-chord melody notes, it's also possible to play the bottom notes of the basic 7th/voicing and futz around with the melodies/tensions based on what sounds good. Using the basic 7th tones /basic inversions is a good place to start. A good exercise is to take 4 meas. of a tune and try out as many possible combinations of melodies/chord clusters as you can think of, without playing in time. The top note/melody leads the thing.

DF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks again, Dave.

Which way were you doing it in the video over "What Is This Thing Called Love"

Were you moving the top note over the basic chord tones or were you alternating between the chord tone voicings and dim 7th vocings?

The "Shearing" method sounds more old fashioned to me.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
the first few minutes reminded me of nelson riddle's route 66 tv theme.. smile

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
exactly, I agree, the diminished thing is a bit old fashioned..

DF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks again, Dave. Out to the woodshed!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
you and me both

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission