2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (ambrozy, Bruce In Philly, c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, 20 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 610 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I just got the latest (Oct/Nov) Pianist magazine and there's some great beginner/intermediate scores in this edition. There's a very attractive sonatina movement by Dussek (which sounds much harder than it actually is), a nice jazzy sounding prelude by Ravel (which is new to me), a Massenet nocturne, and the Romance from Schumann's Faschingsswank aus Wien (which is also very accessible) and lots of other good stuff. There's also a nice (and easy) piece by John Maul called Theme for Constanze on which he gives a video lesson (linked to on the Pianist website but here's a direct link)

[video:youtube]Xva9vzuq8Ho[/video]

Highly recommended - if you've never tried this magazine, this month is a good one to give it a go.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ooh... I like that "Theme for Constanze." I'll have to check it out. Thanks, KeemaNan!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I have an issue of Pianist on my iPad and I really like it (the magazine, not the app, which has frequent hiccups). Some of the beginner pieces are actually feasible even for me. I also enjoy reading the How to play... articles even if probably I will never be able to play most of those pieces.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm still waiting for the Oct/Nov issue. We American subscribers have to be a little more patient.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Ugh. I'm so jealous! Here in Canada we have to wait an entire month after it's released in the UK before it hits our book stores.

It's a good thing I still have 6 back issues to go through in the mean time!

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
M
M
Is the magazine mail order only (other than iPad as I don't own one), I've never seen it on sale before?

Ferry & Foster upright

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks very must for posting the video and informing us about the Pianist magazine.

I got excited. Phoned the local book/magazine store - learned they had an aug/sept copy and jumped on transit to retreive a copy.

I looked at the magazine and thought it was quite interesting. The oct/nov issue isn't in yet and will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive. I will wait until it arrives and take look. I appreciated that a magazine would cost more if it had n cd attached but was surprised that it cost 14.95 plus taxes, so about 20.00 in Vancouver - so I will see if the local library or university library might have a copy to read.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I have a paper version of the pianist magazine. I am considering to change it to online version. it's great. Thank you for posting it.

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MonkeyMark
Is the magazine mail order only (other than iPad as I don't own one), I've never seen it on sale before?

It's sold in WH Smith's, amongst other places.

Originally Posted by Michael_99
I appreciated that a magazine would cost more if it had n cd attached but was surprised that it cost 14.95 plus taxes, so about 20.00 in Vancouver

Wow, that's expensive. Over here it's 5 pound something (I forget exactly) which I think is good value including the CD. 20 Canadian dollars is about 12.50 sterling.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
The digital edition for the iPad is €5.49 or $6.99. It has embedded sound files so you can listen to the pieces while looking at the scores. Nice.

Originally Posted by Michael_99
I appreciated that a magazine would cost more if it had a cd attached but was surprised that it cost 14.95 plus taxes, so about 20.00 in Vancouver - so I will see if the local library or university library might have a copy to read.

I have the Chapters in Metrotown reserve me a copy of each issue as they only bring in about 5 copies of it. It's only $14.95Cdn for a new issue, but we have to wait a month later than the UK release date. I've ordered many back issues, and they actually work out, with shipping, to be about $9.95Cdn. The cool thing about this is that even the most recent issue is considered a 'back issue' when the new one comes out and you can pick it up for that much less. You just have to wait a little longer with the shipping being involved. Erica Worth, the editor, is awesome to deal with if you send in inquiries about certain back issues.

I've found Pianist to be much better than the 'other' one Chapters carries, as there is a lot more sheet music (for varying skill levels), and the reviews/interviews are more positive. The only thing I find to be a little difficult is they use the British names for things, like notes, not the names we use for them over here.

Ok, that's my plug for an awesome mag! thumb Just go buy it! You know you want to. grin

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
At PianistMagazine.com, it says:

"Rather than just telling you how good our digital editions are we thought it would be much easier to just show you! We’ve produced a free taster so you can see what you think before parting with any pennies. Simply download our app for free and then view the sampler edition." But the link for downloading the PC app, just takes you here, http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=684&title=Pianist, with no apps for downloading.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I downloaded the app for my iPod Touch, but it isn't actually readable on that device.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I take it back -- if you download the app and an actual issue (I downloaded the sample issue), you can magnify and read the text, but it's very inconvenient.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
The iPhone and iPod Touch are good enough for reading books on-the-go, but for magazines and PDF's nothing beats the iPad.

Nothing to do with piano, but I just love the National Geographic magazine on the iPad, it's gorgeous, interactive, and cheap too.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,134
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission