2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
New recording at the Kawai CA95:

https://www.box.com/s/fvu9sin08661g6b5xytc

Performed using the the default "Concert Grand" sound with the default reverb setting of "Small Hall" and a 50% volume setting (four increments) on the piano, and, recorded with a single stereo audio cable into Audacity.

K
K
Well played. The piano sound however is somewhat not as I expected to. The main melody line sounds not ringing enough to me, and somewhat "hollow".

Bosendorfer 185CS, Roland FP-7F, Yamaha PSR530
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by SIG77
Well played. The piano sound however is somewhat not as I expected to. The main melody line sounds not ringing enough to me, and somewhat "hollow".

Yes, I do agree that the recording sounds the way you have described, although it really comes across much better when hearing it through the open speakers and soundboard. Also, this was recorded using only the "default" settings across the board as it were, and, all of this can be enhanced with the "Virtual Technician" features.

You can also increase the decay time, string resonance, voicing, and, add more reverb, as well. All of these things make the CA95 come "alive" and project more harmonic resonance.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pv88, why not use the instrument's onboard MP3 recorder?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
pv88, why not use the instrument's onboard MP3 recorder?

Kind regards,
James
x

Didn't have to use the feature you mention, as it was simple enough just to run an audio cable from the piano the computer and record into Audacity, which works quite well, by the way.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Here is my 2nd recording at the CA95, this time adding three "Virtual Technician" settings, which are; decay time (7), string resonance (10), reverb ("Live Hall"), as this should greatly improve upon the default settings:

https://www.box.com/s/u12ptnjs3ayyl4o465cv

The CA95 sounds much better through its speakers / soundboard as compared with hearing playback on the recording. Anyway, there is no doubt the CA95 is a fine piano to play, with very nice "EX" concert grand samples.

The onboard MP3/WAV recorder is pure digital, which should ensure a perfect recording.
In addition, the onboard MP3 recorder encodes at a higher quality (192 kbits, not 128 kbits).

But hey, if you're happy with the computer+Audacity method, that's fine.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Here is a third recording, using the same "Virtual Technician" settings as in the 2nd recording, and, it was performed with no sustain pedal which highlights the superb reverb effects in the CA95:

https://www.box.com/s/v6m1reh8uxq5t6e15lki

It is in the slightly more staccato notes that the reverb really shines, and, playing Mozart on this piano is a blast!

Originally Posted by pv88

It is in the slightly more staccato notes that the reverb really shines, and, playing Mozart on this piano is a blast!

Wow! It is like Mitshuko Uchida piano. Great singing sound for Mozart, I agree.

Kawai CA99
Still would like a little more body/richness and can't seem to find a setting configuration that im happy with. As you say, perfect for Mozart but the deep rich tones in the upper half of the keys isnt there yet for me.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
An experiment, easy to do.

Layer the Concert Grand upon Concert Grand. Then, use a 6-4 or 4-6 mix. Leave your other settings as-is.

It may give you a sound you might like.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
Thanks, will have a play later

P
P
I know CA95 has more Virtual Technician features than my CA93, but when I play without headphones, I use Mellow Grand with Damper Resonance, String Resonance and Key-off Effect at 7 and it sounds great. No reverb needed (although using reverb or not depends of where the piano is placed).
Concert Grand sounds good with those settings too.

But for recordings and playing with headphones, I find the dual voice preset Steinway Grand Devotion perfect -using NORMAL voicing instead of mellow-

So I think it should be posible to achieve a better sound with CA95.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pelota
I know CA95 has more Virtual Technician features than my CA93, ...

@Pelota,

Yes, and, one of the best settings is the one called "Decay time." It vastly improves upon the length of the sustain, and, improves the sounds when used along with "String resonance."

I wouldn't go higher than "7" with the decay time, otherwise it becomes rather unrealistic with very long prolonged sounds. Strike a loud bass note with the decay time set at "10" as you will see what it can do!

The "Concert Grand" samples are already pretty long with the default decay time setting of "5" although it can be enhanced easily with a higher number, etc.

You would really like the CA95, I am sure of it.

P
P
Originally Posted by pv88
You would really like the CA95, I am sure of it.

I'm sure I would.
And I trust the words of most of the people here, but before buying my CA93 I did a very extensive research in order to decide if the CA93 was good or not for me.
That's why I haven't decided yet.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Pelota,

Also, the Roland V-Piano (which I also own) would be an excellent choice, as you will find that it has one of the best actions in any digital available, and, the connectivity (or, response) to the sounds in regards to the overall dynamic range (from "pp" to "ffff") is unparalleled. You are not constrained to limitations in the dynamics of your playing (as in sampled digitals) compared with the V-Piano's modeled sounds.

The V-Piano is obviously far more expensive than the CA95 (i.e., about 2K more) although you have to try and play one for yourself to determine if it is the right piano, for you.

Also if one digital doesn't do what another does, then just buy both of them (if you can), as I did.

P
P
@pv88
Problem is, in my country there are no CA series and V-Pianos available.

Another thing is, I know Roland's Ivory Feel is great, but I just can't stand plastic keys.

But as you say, it would be far more easy to decide if I could try them myself, but there's no way to do that in my country.

Again, I trust your words, but I can not do a blind choice without deep research and clear evidence that the V-Piano is more suitable for me.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Pelota,

Okay, I do understand... therefore, I wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do. I have bought all of my digital pianos "sight unseen" thus far, and, you definitely learn some things as you go along.

Best regards,

pv88

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission