2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1957431 09/11/12 12:22 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I am the very happy owner of a Kawai RX2, but am likely to have to sell it when I downsize the house. cry

I am looking for:

1. The best action consistent with the other requirements.
2. Ability to take it for playing elsewhere a few times a year.
3. Ability to record mp3 files.
4. Plain and simple, but as good as possible, piano sound. In other words no bells and whistles needed. (unless there is a DP with a credible harpsichord sound - I haven't heard one yet, but then I did own - a couple of decades ago - one of the best harpsichords you could buy, so I'm picky here)

So far, bearing in mind my Kawai preference, the ES7 or MP10 may fit the bill, but any input on other possibilities welcome.

One further request for UK members - where in the South of England might I be able try a good selection of DPs? Google trawls result in very thin pickings.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I can't help you with your other requests, but if you're looking for DP stores/showrooms in SE England, there're plenty in London. Let me know if London is accessible, and I'll give you their addresses/websites. And there's a good one in Guildford which stocks Roland, Nord, Yamaha, Korg, which was where I bought my V-Piano from.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content
sandalhome, I'm sorry to read that you may have to part with your RX-2.

Regarding Kawai dealers in the South of England, please try the dealer locator on the Kawai UK website.

Best of luck with your search!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Dorset I don't know. There are stores in Fareham (Kimbers), Portsmouth (Nevada and Musicroom), Haslemere (Chamberlain), Guildford (Andertons), Eastbourne (Bonners) and Southampton (Becketts). London has Rose Morris and Chappells. There are probably more that I don't know about.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 09/11/12 06:06 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I think you are on the right track with either the MP10 or ES7, given what you've said here.

Though you should try out a few higher end Yamahas (CP5 maybe) and Rolands (fp7f) for comparison. It's not necessarily the case that you will like Kawai's digitals best just because you like their acoustics best.

Last edited by gvfarns; 09/11/12 09:06 PM.
Online Content
gvfarns, good call, however I don't believe the Yamaha CP5 or Roland FP-7F support MP3 recording.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I enjoyed my first go around on the ES7 very much...maybe just under a half hour.

Nice sound through the speakers and a good player connection with the action. Made for one of the more pleasurable experiences in playing one of these things.

I can say exactly the same for the less expensive Kawai EP3 (which I just purchased from Sweetwater recently), and, even though it is a lower end model, the sounds and action are very good.

K
K
Originally Posted by sandalholme
...unless there is a DP with a credible harpsichord sound - I haven't heard one yet, but then I did own - a couple of decades ago - one of the best harpsichords you could buy, so I'm picky here

If money is no object, you might want to look into the Roland digital harpsichords as well (http://www.roland.co.uk/C30/). They certainly do have credible harpsichord sounds (and a harpsichord feel to the action), as well as baroque chamber organ sounds. I've never tried one, but they look pretty neat (in terms of features and sound that is, physically they look a bit gaudy).

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. Re London addresses, bennevis, I will PM you. Re recording to mp3: I presently record the RX2 to a MD recorder, then convert to .wav via a gizmo, thence to Audacity for shaping (I have poor mics and a very bright room) and then output to mp3. So I guess output to .wav or other format that Audacity can read would be fine. Not sure which DPs equivalent to ES7/MP10 or higher that would then include.
Re the Roland digital harpsichord, I have looked at it (on paper only!), apart from the money it will also take up what will be precious space. I had to sell the (Rubio) harpsichord to fund a 9' grand as I was playing my old Danemann upright piano more than the harpsichord as I gradually returned to my pianistic roots. Sadly, the 9 footer had to go when we downsized then due to redundancy. (The 9 footer went into storage just before the new owners moved in, then had to sold at auction. Ouch!) Now we are looking to move down again having crept into our 70's and the large garden and still sizable house will soon be beyond our physical capacity. (Takes over an hour to do the lawn even with a ride-on mower)
So the move to a DP is not only important from a playing point of view - I really would like something which is halfway towards the RX2 in responsiveness and subtlety if possible - but replacing the wrong choice of DP would be domestically difficult. I have been something of a serial instrument buyer, not to mention hi-fi and camera interests.

K
K
Not wishing to hijack the thread but is Bonners (Eastbourne) an authorised Kawai dealer? There name doesn't seem to appear on the dealer locator section of the Kawai website. Thanks.

Kanov #2012348 01/10/13 05:23 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kanov
Not wishing to hijack the thread but is Bonners (Eastbourne) an authorised Kawai dealer? There name doesn't seem to appear on the dealer locator section of the Kawai website. Thanks.

I assume so as they sell them, and often have them on display for testing. (I have play tested several Kawai DP's there). The young blonde lady (name forgotten) is very helpful.

Edit to add, you can ask public questions on their Facebook page.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 01/10/13 05:23 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Dorset I don't know. There are stores in Fareham (Kimbers), Portsmouth (Nevada and Musicroom), Haslemere (Chamberlain), Guildford (Andertons), Eastbourne (Bonners) and Southampton (Becketts). London has Rose Morris and Chappells. There are probably more that I don't know about.

Funny you should mention Kimbers, I was there this very afternoon trying without success to get my own bearings on a DP decision. Kimbers is surprisingly well stocked. Even so probably better to phone before arriving if wanting to audition a particular piano. I was hoping to check out the ES7 there today but was told they wouldn't have it until mid Feb.

For Dorset, you've also got Absolute music near Poole but I think you'd be restricted to Roland/Yamaha only...not sure.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission