2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
dsch Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed to death. I haven't found what I am looking for by using the search box.

I am interested to know what serious performers actually buy for home use excluding those who have inherited wealth or other sources of high income.

I should rephrase that: I am particularly interested in the sorts of compromises people make when they are serious performers with limited budgets.

Thanks in advance!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are we talking about pianos, music, furniture, ???

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think he means pianos.

Any professional concert pianist, famous or not, probably has at least a large Yamaha in their home.

Most pianists I know have used instruments - often a decent brand like Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Baldwin, Mason&Hamlin, etc... Often they're older, rebuilt instruments. Some have 2nd pianos for teaching, a good upright - Yamaha U series.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I guess Kreisler nailed it...I'm one of those with a used, rebuilt instrument.

Back in the 1980s I found a 1917 Weber (old American make) 7 foot grand that was not rebuilt but had been restrung. It was a quality piano, and I played it into the ground, and at some point I had to decide whether to rebuild it or move on to something else.

Around 2000, I found a 9 foot Mason from 1928 that had been competently rebuilt in 1985. I wasn't looking for something that big, but it "appeared" and I did have the room for it. It's all the piano I need and then some. Needs some work now, but I've been playing it for 10 years.

But I must say that I know a fair number of pianists here in NYC who own Steinways. Some were bought new, and they are Steinway artists. Others are vintage instruments, often rebuilt.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A rebuilt vintage is perfection.

Originally Posted by mazurkajoe
A rebuilt vintage is perfection.

Depends a great deal on who did the work, what parts they used, and what definition of "rebuilt" they go by.

www.pianoped.com
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Schimmel upright. I don't have a large income or enough space for a grand, but I needed an instrument with the capability to handle virtuoso literature. That was the best compromise I found and it cost a lot less than a comparable Steinway.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The only professional I know is a Steinway artist who couldn't afford a Steinway. She has a Yamaha.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Any professional concert pianist, famous or not, probably has at least a large Yamaha in their home.
That is just plain dumb.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/10/12 07:07 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
The only professional I know is a Steinway artist who couldn't afford a Steinway. She has a Yamaha.

I thought one of the requirements to be a Steinway artist is that they must have Steinway piano at home.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
That is just plain dumb.

Ha-ha, PL'us! laugh Are you picking up stores' mantle? crazy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
That is just plain dumb.

I think what mazurkajoe may have meant (though incorrectly worded) is that a serious pianist would have A PIANO OF AT LEAST THE SAME QUALITY AS a large Yamaha.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

I thought one of the requirements to be a Steinway artist is that they must have Steinway piano at home.

My understanding is that the Steinway artist designation relates specifically to the pianos they choose to perform on. What they have at home may be another matter.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by carey

My understanding is that the Steinway artist designation relates specifically to the pianos they choose to perform on. What they have at home may be another matter.
I haven't read the Steinway website very recently, but I'm quite sure their literature/site said all Steinway artists must first own a Steinway before they can be designated as a Steinway artist.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I haven't read the Steinway website very recently, but I'm quite sure their literature/site said all Steinway artists must first own a Steinway before they can be designated as a Steinway artist.

As far as I know, they have to own a Steinway. I wonder if they send someone to your home or apartment to check? And does an old or rebuilt Steinway fill the bill?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RealPlayer

As far as I know, they have to own a Steinway. I wonder if they send someone to your home or apartment to check? And does an old or rebuilt Steinway fill the bill?

Yes, old rebuilt Steinway is OK. My teacher is a Steinway artist, and he has 1937 Steinway.

Yes - I found it.....

"Often a formal affiliation with Steinway & Sons has not been possible for an emerging artist, since all Steinway Artists must personally own a Steinway piano. The financial realities of developing a career can often make that requirement difficult for many otherwise deserving young musicians. Steinway & Sons has always taken pride in its role of nurturing talent and promoting the art of piano playing. In that spirit, Steinway has developed a new program in an effort to reach out to young pianists at an early point in burgeoning careers. This program, "Young Steinway Artist", confers upon a select group of talented musicians the distinction of affiliation with the Steinway Artist family, and access to the worldwide resources of Steinway & Sons and its exclusive network of dealers.

The Young Steinway Artist program will consider all pianists who own an instrument from the Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos, which include not only the Steinway Piano, but the Boston and Essex lines as well."

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That is just plain dumb.

There are neither enough faces nor palms in the observable universe to create a mass 'facepalm' at the level of magnitude of which your comprehension deserves.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

This is my understanding as well and it had been years since this individual actually concertized so older rules may have applied.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission