2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Thanks Rich,

That's how I pronounce it and have heard the same from dealers when W&L was available. It sounds more British than Germanic to me. I.e.; fVen-del und Luung.

Thanks for possibly ending some useless sniping.

Uummm.... actually you are correct in the German pronunciation, Marty. I was giving you the typical Americans pronunciation.

Sorry about that.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
elil #1947782 08/23/12 11:19 AM
G
G
Check out this link. You can type the text (deactivate the translate checkbox) and a speaker will pronounce it on German, English or whatever you want. Lot of fun! BTW, most of my customers thought that Wendl is the Austrian and Lung the Chinese grin

http://imtranslator.net/translate-and-speak/

Gregor

piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
But Eric,

In English speaking countries, how is Wendl & Lung pronounced? That is what ando is all bent out of shape about. Not me!

Not bent out of shape, Marty, it's just that your comments about English pronunciation are simply irrelevant. There is anglicised pronunciation of most foreign names, but that doesn't change the fact that Wendl & Lung is of Germanic origin, hence your belief in its innate Englishness being your own fantasy. You saying "not to me" doesn't factor into it.

ando #1947853 08/23/12 01:18 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
But Eric,

In English speaking countries, how is Wendl & Lung pronounced? That is what ando is all bent out of shape about. Not me!

Not bent out of shape, Marty, it's just that your comments about English pronunciation are simply irrelevant. There is anglicised pronunciation of most foreign names, but that doesn't change the fact that Wendl & Lung is of Germanic origin, hence your belief in its innate Englishness being your own fantasy. You saying "not to me" doesn't factor into it.

Yes, IT DOES!

My only experience with the piano is in the United States of America and not in Germany, or Austria, as translated by a Chinese manufacturer. What I hear when I see the name is what I heard from the sales staff at PianoForte in Chicago and it certainly was not Germanic in sound. Period.

IT DOES FACTOR INTO IT - THAT IS THE POINT

Shouting is necessary to penetrate very thick substances.

When I started a thread about members treating each other with civility and manners, your behavior is exactly one of the the rude and annoying practices I mentioned. Apparently the only way to get through your self-assumed superiority and judgement is to decend to the level of the responses which I was trying to diminish.

I can only assume that you are on the "let's get Marty" tirade is because you recognize in yourself what I was attempting to avert. Or, maybe you are totally clueless.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
elil #1947886 08/23/12 02:03 PM
S
S
Marty,

Many of the regulars and pros here know Eric well. he has forgotten more than many of us know, and he is a true gentleman. That is not solely my opinion, but that of every single person he and I know in common.

You are way off base here.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
But Eric,

Yes, IT DOES!

My only experience with the piano is in the United States of America and not in Germany, or Austria, as translated by a Chinese manufacturer. What I hear when I see the name is what I heard from the sales staff at PianoForte in Chicago and it certainly was not Germanic in sound. Period.

It's very clear from the spelling. "Wendl" or "Lung" looks English to you?

Ok, so you want it to be a matter of opinion? Fine, I can accept that. But if I came to you and said, "I love the good old-fashioned American sound of 'Ying Tang's BBQ dumplings', I'd have to expect my opinion to be challenged by you - regardless of how much I insist that it sounds American to me.

IT DOES FACTOR INTO IT - THAT IS THE POINT

Shouting is necessary to penetrate very thick substances.

When I started a thread about members treating each other with civility and manners, your behavior is exactly one of the the rude and annoying practices I mentioned. Apparently the only way to get through your self-assumed superiority and judgement is to decend to the level of the responses which I was trying to diminish.

Actually that's just hypocritical. You are doing what you claim to be unacceptable.

But you do amuse me, Marty. Your need to have the last word in every situation. In another thread you're disputing facts with people with qualifications in air-conditioning, but it doesn't stop you from arguing in your own inimitable way "but for me it works this way..." In this thread it's the same, you are using ignorance of German language as a defence. "For me it's English..." It's the same situation.

I can only assume that you are on the "let's get Marty" tirade is because you recognize in yourself what I was attempting to avert. Or, maybe you are totally clueless.

I could handle your rantings if you weren't constantly commenting on how other people should behave. Speaking as though you are above all that, yet descending into it anyway - but decrying how you were driven to it by savage members bent on defaming you. You are not the embodiment of the ideals you espouse in your "let's be lovely to one another thread". It's becoming a problem on this forum. How can I put this delicately for you? People are talking about you, Marty. I honestly don't believe you can stop yourself. You are a posting machine. (550+ posts in 3 months). Just as you like to have your opinions, you have to let others have theirs too. Let's just see if you can leave this post alone, shall we?

elil #1947907 08/23/12 02:39 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the props, Steve, but I don't think I'm the target. (And people wonder why more manufacturers don't post on PW!)

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Eric,

I'm sorry if I offended you or you took it that way. I was doing nothing more than asking about the way that Wendl & Lung was pronounced. Nothing more.

You have my full respect and I thought that if anyone knew it would be you!

I just commented that I am saddened by the demise of the name as I had thought of it as a rather elegant moniker. Nothing more. Since my experience with the brand was only through a Chicago dealership, mine was a very "English" pronounciation. It had nothing to do with Feurich as a brand. I liked the W&L's and I like the present Feurichs.

Again, I am sorry.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Marty,

Many of the regulars and pros here know Eric well. he has forgotten more than many of us know, and he is a true gentleman. That is not solely my opinion, but that of every single person he and I know in common.

You are way off base here.

Steve, let me assure you that Eric has my full respect.

My comments were solely about ando harranguing at me because I understood the pronounciation Wendl & Lung as pronounced in English. I have never ever even considered it in German. I asked which was correct based on my familiarity with how it was pronounced.

It was not directed at Eric at all.

Marty in Minnesota

elil #1947990 08/23/12 05:05 PM
Online Content
Gentlemen, I must confess that I have not been following this thread, but please do not let it get too far out of hand.

Marty’s posts are valuable, ando’s posts are valuable and BoseEric’s posts are valuable (and Steve’s posts are valuable smile )

Why don’t we all back off and cool off a little…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
elil #1947999 08/23/12 05:17 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
All I can say is "boy was I pronouncing Feurich wrong!" Most Rock musicians are familiar with the brand Behringer, but I would bet that nearly 100% of them pronounce it with a "soft" G - like you would use in bridge, but technically it should be pronounced with a "hard" g like in gold. You know what? If I ever get a Feurich I think I will just go on pronouncing it "wrong" because that sounds right to me. That's the same thing I do with Behringer.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

More specifically, Eric's work for Feurich including his writinga on his own web site and what he has written for Feurich's web site in the US, has been completely upfront in revealing the Ningbo connection. It's a far cry from Perzina's claims of European manufacture or W & L and Brodmann's claims to some vague European heritage. If I had any doubts about Feurich, it would be about its capability to manufacuture pianos in Germany, not whether it could possibly beat Hailun at its own game. Mother Hailun has had a lot of distributor problems in NA and can't seem to get out of its own way in establishing a dealer network with good coverage and minimum standards of service and prep. It's not the gold standard by any means.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
elil #1948047 08/23/12 07:07 PM
Mother Hailun has had a lot of distributor problems in NA and can't seem to get out of its own way in establishing a dealer network with good coverage and minimum standards of service and prep. It's not the gold standard by any means.

At the expense of sounding defensive I don't know what is meant by that. Also don't know what the 'gold standard' is.

Small point but worth elaborating perhaps?

Does any of this have any impact on the quality and value of pianos on market?

Norbert

elil #1948067 08/23/12 07:45 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well, I have a "real" Feurich from WWI era, completely restored by the Feurich factory, and it is phenomenal, but I still do not know how to properly pronounce the name. frown

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
elil #1948077 08/23/12 08:08 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Well BoseEric just told you how to pronounce it about 15 posts above.

This is your lucky day.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I still can't get it right. Pronouncing non-English words with the proper inflection has never been my strong suit.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by rocket88

I still can't get it right. Pronouncing non-English words with the proper inflection has never been my strong suit.

You must be British. They refuse to even try.

"Paella" becomes "Pay-ella"

"Don Quixote" they pronounce "Don Kwixett"

You gotta love 'em.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
ando #1948103 08/23/12 08:44 PM
Ando, you cannot possibly know anything about me. Don't assume you do.

I expressed a light hearted quip, and you decided to attack.

You are so sensitive to quips from others, telling people how to behave, what's insulting. etc. but when you do it, it's just light-hearted. You are becoming a parody of yourself, Marty.

[Irony Alert: Readers with an irony deficiency may find the following unsuitable to their sensibilities.]

Dear Ando,

Welcome to Springfield!!! In 'M in M', PW has its very own Ned Flanders, and while I admit that our singular Minnesotan has been all over the PW forum like a rash in recent times, I would submit that we must be tolerant to diversity and accept his presence and contributions for what they often are--comedy. That said, I don't think Flanders doubled up as the local cop, so maybe the analogy is imperfect.

Yours in hybrid amusement/consternation,

P.
[End of Swiftian intervention]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Originally Posted by rocket88

You must be British. They refuse to even try.

Nope, not even close.

elil #1948124 08/23/12 09:48 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Turandot, you are forcing me to re-evaluate my whole web strategy. Who would have thought people would read the stuff!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission