2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (Adagiette, anotherscott, 36251, beeboss, Alfred La Fleur, Bill McKaig,RPT, AndyOnThePiano, A. Lucato, 18 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Schroeter
Hi Nillabean,
Sorry. It just occurred to me that Yamaha's silent system has a letoff compensation rail meaning there is a second jack toe that is tripped by a rail that drops down and takes the place of the regular letoff button when the system is engaged. Still, check the letoff in both acoustic and silent modes.

Scott and nillabean:

This is true in the case of the Yamaha Silent grands, but not so with the upright models (nillabean has a YUS5SG upright) which have a conventional upright action but fitted with a hammer shank stopper. This means the upright action is factory- regulated so that even when in non silent mode, the set-off is at least twice the usual distance - ie instead of the hammer escaping at around 2mm before the string in the mid section it has to be regulated to set off between 5-6mm. This, to a tech, is quite a compromise in terms of touch and repetition, but surprisingly not noticed by most players.

Nillabean: regarding having your silent system checked at the post delivery tuning, Yamaha's SG system rarely needs any adjustment. Highly unlikely, but if anything, it's the basic piano regulation which may need adjusting. After what you said earlier regarding your tech's technical background, I am sure he will be more than capable of doing these checks.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
R
R
I am curious what the ratio of Yamaha Silent model piano (like the YUS5SG vs my YUS5) sales are vs the standard models.

Is it a close margin or more like 20 regular for every silent?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
And I was "right" as you can read in the dealer posts answering the questions in this post you made. You not only misunderstood the situation with Yamaha and what I said, you also misunderstood your own words.

Well, I did see your post. Having come to understand there's more post-factory voicing going on than I had believed, (thus, they may have sounded the same to me but apparently they don't sound the same), so you've made that point. At this point . . .

I'm simply trying to learn.

You're trying to win an argument.

Let's both say you won. Hopefully that will make you happy.

As for me, I'm back to trying to learn something here (and as a post above indicated, I've already picked up a few pieces of information I had indeed been ignorant of). We are only talking pianos here, not politics, religion, or dietary changes.

S
S
Thanks Chris,
That's exactly what I was referring to in my earlier post before I confused the vert system with the grand.

Scott Schroeter
Artist Pianos Ltd.
Manager
Technical Service Mgr.
www.artist-pianos.com
Yamaha - Kawai - Mason & Hamlin
N
OP Offline
N
Here's what the technician comp'd by the music store wrote me:

"All pianos should be prepped before leaving the store. With that said, you purchased the nicest upright Yamaha produces. This means it received a fair amount of prepping attention before it left the factory. There's still a small amount of prep that can be done in the home on the YUS5 but not nearly as much as the entry level pianos.

As far as the tuning goes, any piano that is delivered out of the box is going to be really out of tune as the last time it was tuned was in Japan. It then travels in a box across the ocean, sits in a warehouse at Yamaha USA, gets delivered to the dealers warehouse, sits there for awhile, and finally winds up at your house. All this traveling takes it's toll on the tuning. Yamaha recommends waiting at least 4 weeks before having your piano tuned so it can acclimate to it's new environment.

Two of the reasons I think your piano sounds different than the ones on the floor is it's out of tune and the acoustics are completely different in your house. Are you finding it too bright or too mellow?

Normally my hourly prep rate is $50 but I'd be willing to give you the same rate as I charge xxxxx xxxxxxxx which is $35. After I tune it in a few weeks I will have a better idea as to what kind of additional prep it might benefit from. "

N
OP Offline
N
So the technician is coming tomorrow, and I'm very excited. After discussing the prep issue with the dealer, they agreed to not only give me an additional tuning, but the have now included "prep" on my initial invoice. What this means is that the technician will evaluate the piano for necessary prep, and bill to the dealer accordingly.
He told me that he will need at least 4 hours tomorrow, so I assume that means about 2 hours for tuning and at least 2 hours for going over any necessary prep.
I'm not sure how much to hang out with him and see what he's doing/checking/etc., and how much to leave him alone and let him do his thing.
Either way, I am so excited to get my YUS5 tuned, as it has some obvious issues in that regard. Also, I assume he will do a standard twice over check for any other issues that may be present from lack of prepping--I assume there are some other adjustments that can be made.

R
R
Just make it a pleasant environment for him to work and leave him alone. He will call out to you when he needs your input.

I treat my tech like royalty. I get whatever he wants from Dunkin Donuts or elsewhere.

I have a feeling you are going to be posting a day / night post change after he gets done.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great advice, Rafterman. You've got a lucky tech!!

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Yay, nillabean. I think this is a great outcome. Plus this has been a great thread.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upgrading my Roland KR-570(!) (c.1997 AD)
by ClemFandango - 09/28/21 06:15 PM
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,336
Posts3,135,891
Members102,848
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission