2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bluoh Offline OP
OP Offline
Should piano teachers be able to play all or most of the pieces that their students play (or the pieces that they teach)? Why or why not?

---

Personally, I think this depends on the level of their students; no one is expected to be able to play all of Liszt's etudes and all of Beethoven's sonatas perfectly at any given time, so it's impossible to be 'prepared' to perform any piece for students who might walk in the door unexpectedly.

With that being said, you're usually more comfortable teaching pieces which you've played before, simply because of the familiarity and the interpretation which you've experienced firsthand.
But that shouldn't limit you to merely teaching within your own repertoire (and you'll probably get bored listening to ten students play the same pieces over and over again).

P
P
At the "easier" levels, I say yes, a teacher should be able to play any piece a student is learning - that is, be able to.

I don't know all of my students' pieces perfectly but I have either played them or am technically able to play them.

At higher levels, it is more about musical coaching and making sure technique is appropriate. At this point, there is a limit to what every teacher can teach. Remember, most teachers aren't teaching all the Liszt etudes or the like. By this level, many students know what they are doing.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bluoh
Should piano teachers be able to play all or most of the pieces that their students play (or the pieces that they teach)? Why or why not?

As a general rule, I would answer YES. Speaking as a teacher who works with elementary through mid-advanced level students (generally enrolled in primary and secondary public/private schools or the home school equivalent). Study music at the Elementary and Intermediate levels, without question, and even early Advanced ought to be well-prepared by the teacher before using it as part of his or her teaching curriculum. If a teacher has a physical infirmary which no longer permits playing, but previously had mastered the material, I have no problems with them teaching it. Over all, though, I find it really helps the student when I can both discuss and illustrate points I'm making.

As you move into the Intermediate level, technical problems begin to rise, and it behooves the teacher to review these periodically, at the piano. I often find new solutions to old problems when I do a concentrated review.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I look at it as coaching like in my daughter's sport. Her coach can't do a triple Axel, but is perfectly able to teach it. Her knowledge is about technique, artistry and skill. Many coaches are older and don't even put on skates anymore.

So no, I would not expect at high levels for a teacher to play just as well or better than the student.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I teach quite a few advanced students and it is impossible to play everything they are studying at the moment. Could I, with practice? Mostly. Some things are just not suited to my hands, however. That doesn't mean I don't understand how the technique or musicianship should function, however.

I have a student who plays Liszt's Mephisto Waltz and tosses it off as if it were nothing. He has trouble playing Mozart. I can play Mozart until the cows come home, but Mephisto is too big for my hands. Did I teach it successfully? Yes. Ask the judges of the competitions he has won, if you don't believe me.

I demonstrate principles and ideas and I do play pretty well, but I don't have to be able to play all the rep.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
But I'll bet you don't have any problem being able to play what you're illustrating. It may not be totally up to tempo or polished. I suspect what the OP is referring to is a teacher who cannot play, under any circumstance, easier Chopin nocturnes, or even Beethoven's Op 49, but is trying to teach way beyond this upper intermediate level.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
True enough.

M.M., Piano
D
D
I think teachers should be able to play at least part of their students pieces reasonably well. A few stumbles are okay but they should not have to sit try and sight read the piece then butcher it. I also believe that teachers should be able to play all technique, and sight reading exercises that a student is asked to do. I have heard of teachers that need to look up key signatures and the notes in the chords. I have gone through all of the RCM books Gr 1 - 8 and made sure that I can play through the pieces.
As a teacher I often play the first 2 - 3 lines of pieces for students to give them an idea of how it sounds.
Grade 8 - 10 they can sight read for themselves in most circumstances.

B
B
I would not teach a student who approached my level of competence at the piano. I already plan to pass those students on to a teacher better prepared and qualified to teach the upper levels. At this point, I'm thinking I'll take students up to the upper intermediate level and then refer them to a different teacher. The thought of teaching a student who could play Liszt like it was nothing terrifies me.

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Mozart and (most) teenage boys don't mix. I also have an advanced student who will butcher Mozart. There's always Haydn and Beethoven.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
But I'll bet you don't have any problem being able to play what you're illustrating. It may not be totally up to tempo or polished. I suspect what the OP is referring to is a teacher who cannot play, under any circumstance, easier Chopin nocturnes, or even Beethoven's Op 49, but is trying to teach way beyond this upper intermediate level.

There are teachers in my neck of the woods who aren't even piano majors, and they have students lining out the door. I've never seen them play one note in public, either.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, we have the same here, but do the students actually learn to play, or are they just pressing the right key at the right time (more or less)? We can bequeath them some of those out-of-tune pianos we hear so much about!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Mozart and (most) teenage boys don't mix. I also have an advanced student who will butcher Mozart. There's always Haydn and Beethoven.

Oh, I'll disagree. I have several teenage male students who love Mozart and play it very well. Different temperament.

M.M., Piano
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Brinestone
The thought of teaching a student who could play Liszt like it was nothing terrifies me.

It used to scare me, too, but I've grown into it. smile

Teaching students at this level has truly stretched me in every way. I am a much better pianist and musician AND teacher because of it. But I didn't just jump up to that level, I worked up to it. It was a gradual process.

M.M., Piano
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Why would anyone try to teach beyond their own level of playing?

Piano Teacher
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860

Why would anyone try to teach beyond their own level of playing?
Money?
Ambition?
Insanity?

grin

For example, I did get to play some rather difficult works in the past (including the Prokofiev Tocatta and the Ravel concerto, and Waldstein, and the 2nd Chopin Ballad, for example). But this was back in 2001-2003 period. I doubt that I'm able to play any of these at any rate of success. It should take me tons of practice to pull it off.

So, if I come at works that I don't know, or that would seem beyond me, I can still use my analytical thought and former piano knowledge (still applied today as knowledge, but not as a skill anymore) and teach...

That said, I don't think that a teacher who's NEVER played works after a certain level should be teaching them... :-/

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minniemay

Oh, I'll disagree. I have several teenage male students who love Mozart and play it very well. Different temperament.

Well, I teach two boys who are capable of pulling off Mozart. But they are in the 3% of the teenage boy population. Most male students I've taught just do not possess the Mozart "temperament." But they can certainly do Beethoven.

Girls have much more penchant for Mozart than boys.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Fully agree here AZN! I don't think I still have the patience to sit through Mozart, while I can do Beethoven... laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, we have the same here, but do the students actually learn to play, or are they just pressing the right key at the right time (more or less)? We can bequeath them some of those out-of-tune pianos we hear so much about!

You probably can imagine the damage done to these students. It's just unconscionable.

But what can we do? Some parents associate busy studios with quality teaching.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

But what can we do? Some parents associate busy studios with quality teaching.

But what can the parents do? How would they know which one is a good teacher and which one is not so good teacher?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission