2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1914804 06/17/12 08:16 AM
T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
In the 1980s, just when MIDI technology was finding its feet, Yamaha was, arguably, in the ascendant. They had the coolest accessible stuff around: marvellously clear and detailed sounding synthesisers using the exclusively digital FM technology (DX7 etc), and industry standard drum machines that weren't too expensive (RX11 etc).

So it made sense that they would complete their suite of MIDI stuff with a MIDI keyboard trigger - and I had rather high hopes when they came out with the KX88 - a neat but revolutionary idea: high quality keyboard, with substantial (piano-like?) action. It made no sound, but catered to all your MIDI routing and networking needs and you would control your whole studio, or gigging set-up, from this keyboard control device.

I remember trying one, expecting instant miracles (as we did in those days) but being somewhat unimpressed by the action - which was kind of lumpy and unrefined as I remember.

But they did continue in production until about years ago, according to what I've just read - that's a production run of about 30 years. On the other hand, I don't remember seeing many around - probably few people felt like spending a small fortune on an instrument that made no sounds at all.

But can anyone else remember the KX88 action? How does it relate to today's offerings of PHAIII, GH3 and RM? And would a second hand one be a good option for Sir Huddleston Fudd?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
It is one of the all-time classics. All wooden action, responsive and meaty feeling. You very very rarely see one on the market - probably because if you have one you never ever want to part with it.

Great concept and I don't understand why the big boys (Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kawai) don't still make a parallel product. The Roland MKB-1000, A80s and A90s were also superb in their day, the 90 being expandable with sounds if you wanted. But for great key feel and to control a module or, more likely, software, the KX-88 would still be hard to beat I should think. I actually think the demand for such a thing would be greater now than ever.

J
J
I arranged pre-orders of the KX-88 at two music stores in the summer of 1985. As soon as the first one to get it in stock called me, I went right out and picked it up. The other store called me a few days later, and they couldn't believe another store already had one to sell. I think this qualifies me as one of the first owners of a Yamaha KX-88.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Interesting - you say responsive and meaty; I say lumpy and unrefined. I'd love to try one now to see if I'd change my mind. There was actually one for sale near where I live for about £500 - no idea if this is a good buy or not, really.

It seems there would be a market for keyboard triggers now, though, because virtual pianos work so well and are so well established. If I were a Kawai, Yamaha or Roland guy, I'd market a new line of keyboard trigger hardware/ software piano/multi instrument packages. The selling points would be total and easy compatibility, the highest quality and expandability and a very high prestige brand name.

It would be easy - they have everything in place already in terms of both soft & hard R&D. Just creative packaging.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Probably the best midi Keyboard ever made or that ever will be made ......

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well they did back then when it was first out they had that action in a few boards but sometimes ... new models are NOT better.
It's a bit like the Roland Jupiter the new JP-80 is a wonderful board but it's not a JP-8 ... the FM piano in the CP1 is great but it's not a DX7 ...the list goes on.
What I find interesting is that they still made this board up until about 3 years ago ...why they stopped ...who would know?

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
The problem is, if Yamaha did seriously re-launch the KX88 along with a high grade, fully expandable software package, its price should be set at about a third of the price - or less - than Roland's and Yamaha's high end niche stuff now - same would go for Kawai and Roland: a PHAIII midi keyboard with superNatural v.2 with V-piano thrown in.

Perhaps they won't do it because it would show their top of the range stuff up as being somewhat of a rip-off.

K
K
Hello,
I would like to have a good hammer action for studying jazz piano and recording (midi) at home.
I have found a used KX88 in a good price, 240euro (excluding shipping cost, I think shipping cost could reach 100euros as KX88 including packaging will weight about 30kgs).
Do you think it's a good choice to invest in an old machine?
I'm only interested in a good action, I have other keyboards for studio and live, should I look for a newer action, maybe a 5year old midi controller, or just wait to save more money for a newer (previously tested) used Korg SP250, Yamaha s80 or s90, Kawai MP6, Kurzweil SP4-8, etc?
I have had bad experiences with some Studiologic/Fatar keyboards although I haven't tested SL990 or VMK-188 actions.
I need an action with fast response (on quick repeated hits on the same note) which generates good/real velocities.
Thank you!

My Gear: Young Chang E121, Kawai ES110, Yamaha MX61, Yamaha MX49, Yamaha Reface DX, Roland XP30, Kurzweil PC2R, Roland SonicCell, Roland A33, RME Fireface UC, Tascam VL-X5.
B
BaR Offline
B
John Hobbs still uses a KX88 and he is a premier A-list session player in Nashville and also one of the "Players." In fact here is a video of John playing his KX88 behind Vince Gill... piano comes in at 2:16
http://youtu.be/XcjLvWCOgb0

and another of him triggering a rhodes/wurlitzer type sound...
http://youtu.be/dWcTywHGhJM

P
P

B
BaR Offline
B
KX8 is discontinued. The KX88 is a different animal (also discontinued) and the specs do not say what keybed is used. However, if it was a wooden key, it is absolutely not a GHS keybed.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It might be good, but it's really old. Prone to problems and so on...

If I had to chose between bringing an old tired beast into my home or a A88, I'd pick the A88.

Just my 3 cents.

It does look nice though in the Vince Gill video.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kawai should easily be able to put out a VPC1-M, a VPC1 with full MIDI controller functionality added, don't you think? Or even a VPC2-M, with their best (GF) action... wink

K
K
Thank you all for your replies.
I'd also preferred new keyboards, but since low price keyboards aren't good enough in their action (KX8 is out), I have to go for a used Korg SP250, Akai MPK88, Rolnad A88 etc. which costs at least 500euros in Greece, also over budget for me now.
I'll investigate more about it, any other thoughts also welcomed!

My Gear: Young Chang E121, Kawai ES110, Yamaha MX61, Yamaha MX49, Yamaha Reface DX, Roland XP30, Kurzweil PC2R, Roland SonicCell, Roland A33, RME Fireface UC, Tascam VL-X5.
B
BaR Offline
B
For what it's worth, I wouldn't want a KX88 anyway - not at 62 lbs!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My Yamaha CP-33 feels pretty dang nice for a digital. 40 lbs, $900 new (i think?).
Has a pretty solid couple piano sounds, too.
It's not gonna be very good for setting up splits and such, but hopefully your software will do take care of that.

A Kawaii MP10 has nearly a full acoustic keyboard i thiiiink (don't quote me on that).

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission