2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Bett, brdwyguy, anono89, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,013 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1910283 06/08/12 12:29 AM
OP Offline
Hey Everyone, this is a topic I am extremely interested in, but wondering what people have for their favorite resources, sort of putting together a bibliography. If anyone has printouts that help, please feel free to add as well.

I hope to go beyond the basics - Hinson, Gordon, Kirby just to name a few.

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder if maybe the reason nobody replied yet is that it's not clear what you mean:

-- books on piano literature? or
-- literature on piano stuff? (which is more general)

I thought you meant the second thing, until I saw that you gave Hinson as an example. (Never heard of the other two things so I don't know what they are.)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There's Jane Magrath's "The Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature."

^^ Looks good whichever thing he meant ^^ smile

I'd never heard of this one before either, but from what I see about it, this seems like a great inclusion.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Opus 1 Music
Hey Everyone, this is a topic I am extremely interested in, but wondering what people have for their favorite resources, sort of putting together a bibliography. If anyone has printouts that help, please feel free to add as well.

I hope to go beyond the basics - Hinson, Gordon, Kirby just to name a few.

I can't claim to be up to date on this, but I think Hinson's collection, including chamber, is still the bible, superseding Friskin/Freundlich, for lists of repertoire. Another older annotated reference is Faurot, Concert Piano Repertoire, interesting because of its sometimes snippy, yet illuminating comments. It is far from comprehensive.

If works about interpretation and piano playing are of interest, have a look at Charles Rosen's Beethoven's Piano Sonatas: A Short Companion or Rosen's Piano Notes, a book about the experience of playing the piano. Some other references: Beethoven on Beethoven (William Newman); Joseph Haydn's Keyboard Music: Sources and Style (Peter Brown); Schnabel's Interpretation of Piano Music (Konrad Wolff); A History of Spanish Piano Music (Linton E. Powell), which includes appendices of anthologies of early Spanish music and Spanish music since WWII (up to about 1970s). Also, The Piano Works of Claude Debussy (E. Robert Schmitz) is a useful little book, though there are probably more recent ones.

On style: Howard Ferguson's Keyboard Interpretation. My copy, which lives at the side of my piano, is quite tattered. For students new to piano and wanting inspiration and a general overview, I still recommend Harold Schonberg's The Great Pianists. My library has more, but I think I may already have gone far afield of your search criteria.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by NeilOS; 06/08/12 12:53 PM.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've found it very helpful. It's intended for intermediate level students and their teachers.

OP Offline
I am open to anything to add to my collection. I was looking at the Rosen book that was suggested. I didn't know how it was, but I will take a look now definitely. Feel free to recommend anything. I am looking for anything from Literature, Interpretation, Pedagogy, etc. I think it is good to see what other people are using, especially if they have done coursework at different universities to see what is out there, or just people's favorite books as there is too much to explore for just one person, and I am always curious as to the "gems" in others' libraries!

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
G
G
as a follow-to the Debussy recommendation I would point you to Paul Robert's book "Images: The Piano Music of Claude Debussy" It is highly recommended as is the companion DVD focused on the 1st book of Preludes. Paul has spent much of his career researching and performing the French repertoire. He has also just published a book on Ravel "Reflections"

http://www.amazon.com/Images-Piano-...;sr=1-6&keywords=Paul+Roberts+Images

OP Offline
thanks gmf001, I was actually just putting together my next program and was using the preludes 8 - 12 from that set, so I will definitely pick this up!

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Opus 1 Music
I am open to anything to add to my collection. I was looking at the Rosen book that was suggested. I didn't know how it was, but I will take a look now definitely. Feel free to recommend anything. I am looking for anything from Literature, Interpretation, Pedagogy, etc. I think it is good to see what other people are using, especially if they have done coursework at different universities to see what is out there, or just people's favorite books as there is too much to explore for just one person, and I am always curious as to the "gems" in others' libraries!

Charles Rosen's The Classical Style is still considered by many to be the last word on this topic.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission