2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I disagree. I like her as a musician, despite her flaws.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
IMO

Although modest, Piano Again does have enough musical experience and standards to know the difference. And I agree with her. VL is sharing her talent with others and should be commended. I have enjoyed seeing her approach to practice and learn from her, just by watching and listening.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FWIW, I shared her YouTube page with my piano teacher (who has been teaching for 45+ years) a while back, and he said he found her playing "entirely convincing."

And yes, of course she's promoting herself. How else does anyone get to play anywhere? She's not doing too badly, either, in a professional sense.

I went to hear her play with the violinist Hilary Hahn a few months ago. They are regular collaborators, and Valentina is given equal billing, including a solo piece on the program (she played a Chopin Nocturne). I thought she did a lovely job with everything while not upstaging the violinist. I also attended a master class she gave (and I played for her, albeit not very well!) and was impressed by her technical knowledge and graciousness. She is a real musician.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
she had a practice 'show' on before. It seemed everytime I checked she was practicing. I love how she sits so low.. and her hands really do caress the keys stroking them. my technique is quite different... which is why I am me, and she is she.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Do we get to watch her brush her teeth ... or make her breakfast?

Has this what it has come to? We get to watch artists practice?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
G
G
Valentina Lisitsa is the coolest.

M
Minaku Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Piano Again
Gosh, some of you people are so mean. There's room for all kinds of approaches, and isn't it better, particularly for us amateurs, to be open to that? Especially with someone as technically accomplished as Valentina, and with her obvious love of playing the piano. If I could play at a fraction of her ability (both technical and musical) I would be very happy.

IMO, people are "mean" because they have enough musical experience and standards to know that Ms. Lisitsa as a musician is nothing particularly noteworthy, and the amount of attention she receives is totally out of proportion to her talent. That she is the subject of so many threads here is purely a function of her YouTube and internet presence, and is not an indication of some kind of wonderfulness, particularly when compared to other successful pianists of her generation. She has been a very smart and innovative self-promoter in that regard, and I admire her gumption in breaking new ground, but it doesn't mean she is a great talent. Somehow, it seems that generating "buzz" (which is Lisitsa's true talent) has itself become more important than what the buzz is about. In a strange way, she's more like a meme than anything else.

That's a rather harsh assessment, wr. It's part of the job for a concert pianist to promote him or herself. Valentina's chosen to do this in a 21st century way. As for her musicianship, it is very complete. She may not do it for you, or me, but there are others who enjoy what she does.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Quite honestly I think anyone who considers Lisitsa's true talent is "generating buzz" are showing just how little they know about the subject.

Her memory alone has made her a significant performer in the world of music. Her accuracy is nothing short of fabulous, her interpretation may not be what others think of as best but to call it anything short of supremely competant is lacking reality.
We can all argue interpretation, with little merit.

Her willingness to share her performances with non-payers makes her truly remarkable in the modern world and as does, for me, her unique and priceless ability to inspire, educate and cause me to aspire to better myself.

A true great.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Quite honestly I think anyone who considers Lisitsa's true talent is "generating buzz" are showing just how little they know about the subject.

I don't think anyone is being "mean" about Lisitsa. What some posters may be reacting to is that a brilliant self-promoter (and a very accomplished pianist) is getting significantly more exposure and accolades than the Murray Perahia's of the piano world who don't have the "it" factor.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If a product is not good it doesn't matter how much you promote it, people will see through it pretty quickly.

People return to Valentina Lisitsa time and time again because what she is promoting has genuine merit.

People are entitled to have what favourites they wish, no matter for what reason, but a quote that Lisitsa's "real talent is generating buzz"?

For me it is disappointing that anyone defends such a negative comment.

It is so inaccurate as to be unreal.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Dave, if you don't want to watch her practice, then don't watch her, for heaven's sake! I for one think it's a privilege to watch any professional caliber artist or group practice or rehearse regardless of the instrument they play. As an amateur musician I know that there is a lot I can and do learn from them. I'm sure I could learn a lot from many of the folks on here, for that matter. For those of us that are getting something from her live practicing, you don't really need to rain on our parade now, do you?

Lee
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
She knows these pieces by heart and now she's just going through the moves in a rather stale and robotic way. She does it with such ease and that's very impressive, but I would like to see her practice when she starts with a brand new and difficult piece.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by babama
She knows these pieces by heart and now she's just going through the moves in a rather stale and robotic way. She does it with such ease and that's very impressive, but I would like to see her practice when she starts with a brand new and difficult piece.

In general I admire VL's abilities. Her videos I find quite convincing and compelling. Having said that, I too listened a bit this morning and have to agree with the above assessment. She wasn't putting a lot of personality in her efforts this morning. It was more run through a bunch of pieces to make sure the wheels wouldn't fall off the wagon (that's what usually happens for me) in a semi-performance situation. We got to hear the pieces in a semi-performance situation but the urgebncy of playing well for a live audience wasn't there.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by leemax
Dave, if you don't want to watch her practice, then don't watch her, for heaven's sake! I for one think it's a privilege to watch any professional caliber artist or group practice or rehearse regardless of the instrument they play. As an amateur musician I know that there is a lot I can and do learn from them. I'm sure I could learn a lot from many of the folks on here, for that matter. For those of us that are getting something from her live practicing, you don't really need to rain on our parade now, do you?

I watched her for a minute or two and that was that. If you get off on watching someone polish a piece that they've already polished, great. I would get more out of watching the final performance ... or learning her technique for making an omelet.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

I have to tell you, though I know where you're coming from, there are quite a few pianists past and present that I would love to watch practice, if only for a short time.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

S
S
She just finished playing her four Scriabin pieces that are listed for the upcoming concert[s]. I particularly liked the way she played the second Op. 32. Very convincing, very nice. Looking forward to hearing this live, instead of through my computer speakers. Now I might have to plan on getting there four hours early instead of two...just in case. What the heck...I'll bring the second volume of Alan Walker's Liszt bio (I just finished Vol. 1 today)...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Do we get to watch her brush her teeth ... or make her breakfast?

LOL nice comparison!!! *not*

She is mediocre.
And PLEASE stop insisting that those who find nothing special about her are just jealous or know nothing about the subject.
She has a limited emotional capacity. She pretends to be musical by doing these tricks that somehow convince a lot of people (for example, playing the right hand literally almost a second after the left, weird dynamic changes in the right hand that are meaningless and unnatural). She isn't delicate, nor intense, nor fresh, nor creative.
She certainly does not sing with her playing.
The technique coupled with amazing pianos are the only thing that stands out.
I'm talking about sound here. Not the faces or movements she makes - judging from them I would say she is a magnificent pianist.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"And PLEASE stop insisting that those who find nothing special about her are just jealous or know nothing about the subject."

Was anyone insisting that? I merely insist that it's subjective. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Quaver Pyjama
She is mediocre.
And PLEASE stop insisting that those who find nothing special about her are just jealous or know nothing about the subject.
She has a limited emotional capacity. She pretends to be musical by doing these tricks that somehow convince a lot of people (for example, playing the right hand literally almost a second after the left, weird dynamic changes in the right hand that are meaningless and unnatural). She isn't delicate, nor intense, nor fresh, nor creative.
She certainly does not sing with her playing.
The technique coupled with amazing pianos are the only thing that stands out.
I'm talking about sound here. Not the faces or movements she makes - judging from them I would say she is a magnificent pianist.

I actually agree with all of that. I do think it's cool to watch a famous pianist in her room practicing live though. (even though her playing bored me greatly)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission