2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (antune, c++, Animisha, alabana, btcomm, 17 invisible), 578 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 26th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #26 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 26 Zip 1
Recital 26 Zip 2
Recital 26 Zip 3
Recital 26 Zip 4
Recital 26 Zip 5
Recital 26 Zip 6
Recital 26 Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:2 years and a few months
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Fantasia (Op.58)
Composer:Haydn, Giuseppe (Joseph)
Duration:08:12
Source of music:sheet music, played from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is a fun piece, Haydn (1732-1809) switchess all the time between melody, counterpoint, arpeggios, minimalistic stuff (well, that's how I interpret it :-D ) and a bit of sturm und drang.
Yet, technically it is challenging. This is some 12 pages , presto from start to end. There is nothing really hard in there techically but it's a lot of notes, which took me 4 months to memorize it all. And then playing it, I had it breaking down at the most unexpected places frequently, I think I'm relying a bit too much on muscle memory, my conscious brain needs some speed up.
The glissandi at the end don't work for me, I decided to play them out instead.
I tried varying the speed because playing 1 speed throughout makes it sound like a marathon, particularly near the end it is hard to keep it breathing. I did about 12 recording attempts (spread over 4 days) before I had an acceptable version.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:2 years of lessons with many years of floundering prior to that.
Title of piece:Fur Elise
Composer:Ludwig Van Beethoven
Duration:03:11
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:One of those "overplayed" pieces but I've always wanted to be able to play it so here it is! It's not as easy as many beginners think but the one thing about my performance that I really like is that it feels easy.

I'm not as happy with the B section as the rest of it - the left and right hands aren't completely together and the phrasing is poor. But overall I think it's come out quite nicely. There are a couple of parts with some extraneous sound - I don't think it's clipping; more likely the metronome on top of the piano was vibrating because I forgot to take it off.

It's fairly well known that there is considerable likelihood this was never dedicated to an Elise at all. The manuscript has, unfortunately, disappeared. The most common version of the piece we have comes from that transcribed by Ludwig Nohl in 1867; he may have read Beethoven's abysmal handwriting incorrectly because it is highly likely this piece was dedicated to Therese Malfatti von Rohrenbach zu Dezza, a student of Beethoven's who he (unsuccessfully) proposed marriage too.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Almost 8 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/73_jWCVutwg
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Release
Composer:Helen Jane Long
Duration:03:11
Source of music:"Porcelain" sheet music collection, available from amazon.com and elsewhere
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Audio recorded with Zoom H4 and normalized in audacity; video recorded with Zoom Q3HD
Additional info:I was introduced to this composer one morning when I was working out at the gym and saw the British Airways "To Fly. To Serve." commercial playing on the TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozHLoqwp_4

The background piano music was so beautiful and inspiring that I promptly tracked down the composer and bought the piece and another album on iTunes, as well as attempted to find the sheet music for it.

The name of the piece in the commercial was "The Aviators," but--alas--Long has not yet published the sheet music for it. However, there are several other beautiful pieces on her "Porcelain" album, one of which I chose to play for this recital. I deleted a couple of the repeats, because the original involved adding in strings on the repeats, which adds to the power and complexity of the piece. Without the strings, it just comes across as rather repetitive.

Lunch was leftover sweet potato/tofu/black bean jambalaya and a spinach salad.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ladypayne
Title of piece:Wild Song
Composer:Ladypayne
Duration:02:40
Additional info:This is a song I wrote myself. It's a little bit different than my usual repertoire. Also, I had no intention of the song sounding like anything else so if it is similar to another piece let me know. smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:7.5 Years
Title of piece:Sugar
Composer:Stanley Turrentine
Duration:05:28
Source of music:iRealB Iphone app as the source of chords (lead sheet). Melody played by ear (1st time). The rest of this is 100% improvised.
Instrument used:Hamburg Steinway O

(First time I didn't use a DP in a recital I think!)
Recording method:Zoom H4 and then processed in Audacity - reverb added post recording.

Backing track was created using Band-in-the-Box with a real bass player, and real drums, and added vibes. The backing was played live through a PA to simulate a live environment. Zoom H4 was placed on top of the piano music desk. No extra microphones used other than that on the Zoom H4 (not bad, I thought).
Additional info:I was doing a test run and this was the first try. This wasn't even the tune I intended to submit but this "trial" turned out good in one pass. I'm a big believer in recitals feeling 'real' so many imperfections here but it captures my level accurately. But that makes it truly jazz.

Today was also the first time I played the head (melody) and the first time I tried it unison with two hands (not perfect as you can hear at the end).

Sorry but piano needs tuning.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Pannonica
Composer:Thelonious Monk
Duration:04:22
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:This was Monk's tribute (some would say a love song) to Baroness Pannonica de Koenigswarter, sometimes called The Jazz Baroness, a very wealthy patroness of jazz who took care of him during his final years.

This is my arrangement, playing solo piano.

I may have overdone the ending a bit - I've always been a bit of a sucker for a grandiose ending. And having created a big ending, of course, I couldn't resist a big intro, too. Then, after listening to the intro, I had to go back and add another run to the ending! But rest assured, it doesn't go on forever! smile

BTW, there is an excellent HBO documentary about The Jazz Baroness which is supposed to be available on DVD soon.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:7
Title of piece:Early Morning Breakers
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Duration:04:18
Source of music:Original composition, noodle method, played by ear/memorized
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Growing up on the east coast, we used to spend part of our summers on Block Island RI. I remember getting up very early and walking way out to the end of the jetty where the waves would crash over the rocks. There would be an occasional lull in the sea swells only to be followed by an even bigger breaker crashing against the rocks soaking us with the ocean spray. It was just an incredible time. The salty air, the seagulls, the ocean, and the sounds of the sea.

With this piece I did my best to re-create the sound of the rolling breakers crashing against the rocks as they come and go. If you listen closely, you might be able to hear this as well. Bring a towel and sun screen!

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:~ 3 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/VV7s4kGtu-U
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
Title of piece:Gavotta in D Minor L58 K64
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:01:42
Source of music:PW friendly recommendation. :-)
Instrument used:Kawai K5
Recording method:Zoom H1 for audio
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:My goodness this was seriously difficult for me when I first started on it, but luckily I stuck with it.

In my limited experience, anything Scarlatti is difficult but well worth one's patience!

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZpFDEQlvXo
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/Inlandings
Title of piece:Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise+1
Composer:Romberg and Hammerstein II
Duration:05:02
Source of music:Improvised Score, plus original
Instrument used:1917 O
Additional info:I've been fascinated with this tune ever since I heard Sonny Clark's version.

It is a song from the 1928 Operetta, The New Moon, that rings of bitterness and yearning for a lost love. It was originally a tango, but it's had many jazz iterations over the years.

The audio clip from April 12 was a second take that seemed the most cogent of the two. The second part of the audio clip at 3:38 is an extemporaneous improvisation, right after I recorded Softly.

The YouTube version is a bit more uptempo and the audio clip is a bit more subdued and pensive.

I am interested in how you view the contrast between the two different arrangements.

Home made lentil Soup, a salad, and dark chocolate for lunch

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:3 1/2 as adult, a couple of years as a child
Title of piece:Sonata in C (K545) Second Movement
Composer:Mozart
Duration:04:38
Instrument used:Yamaha Avant Grand N2
Recording method:Line out to H2Zoom
Additional info:I have been playing around with this piece for several years off and on. I could never get through the G minor section smoothly. I picked it up again in January and it finally clicked. I love the piece and I am happy to finally be able to play it!

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:4 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYAEK4JYtHo
Title of piece:Signed With Love
Composer:Original
Duration:03:29
Source of music:Self composition
Instrument used:Essex Upright piano
Recording method:used Flip camera then extracted mp3 using Super
Additional info:Mother day is coming up and I got the inspiration for this piece from "Lettre a ma mere" by Paul de Senneville. I recorded the piece in the early morning while everybody was sleeping, so there was no interfering noise and I didn't have to run the file through the noise removal software. I think it sounds better this time.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Recaredo (Ricardo)
Experience:One year plus three months
Title of piece:Little Prelude in C Minor BWV 934
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:02:50
Instrument used:Kawai CN 33
Recording method:Digital piano to PC. Software: Audacity.
Additional info:When I play this little prelude, I think all the time I spend practicing piano is worth effort. This prelude has become my refuge like adult beginner. I'd have liked to offer a better rendition, but this was the best recording I could make.

Thanks for listening!

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40 years with a few years of lessons.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTAVUIcOTQ&list=UUfm6_6G1n0SmMfPJ3ojblZg&index=2&feature=plcp
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Comptine D'un Autre Ete L'Apres Midi
Composer:Yann Tiersen
Duration:02:24
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Digital to PC.
Additional info:I had really wanted to play a Chopin Mazurka for the recital but, in the end I am just too unsatisfied with how the recording (and my playing) sounds. It just needs more work. Sigh. So I have gone back two months to a piece I put up on the Piano Bar. I AM satisfied with the way this came out. I also really like the video I did with it. I hope you all agree.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+ years
Title of piece:Reverie (Traumerei)
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:02:31
Source of music:Schumann:Scenes From Childhood Op. 15 Edited by Willard A. Palmer
Instrument used:Everett upright piano
Recording method:Zoom H-2
Audacity
Additional info:I have played 3 Schumann pieces, About Strange Lands and People, Curious Story, and Traumerei for the last year. Traumerei took the longest to learn as I reworked the phrasing and grace note sections.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Yamaha G-3 & P-80, Mike White
Experience:Lifetime by ear, six or seven self-teaching.
Title of piece:Coracao que sente
Composer:Ernesto Nazareth
Duration:04:33
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80 Digital
Recording method:Audacity

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:2Yrs/5Mos
Title of piece:Indaco - Royal Albert Hall version
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:56
Source of music:Lead sheet, then improvised and played by ear and memory.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85
Recording method:Adventure method smile - Piano to PC, captured and saved to WAV with PianoTeq. WAV to MP3 with Goldwave. (I don't know if it was the best method...)
Additional info:This piece is a kind of milestone for me. First, because I always found this piece very engaging and I remember thinking that "one day I'll be able to play this!". Second, because is the first time I'm not glued to the sheet - the version I heard on the Royall Albert Hall album has some variations that I like more than the original version, so I changed some little details and I tried to follow the album version -.

Looking back, I think it was a rich exercise to find the balance between the lead sheet and the live version. Einaudi had an orchestra playing this piece with him and it wasn't easy to isolate the "piano solo" part, therefore I had to make some decisions on the rithm, time, and I had to improvise in some passages. I found that an orchestra should be a very good support to maintain the right rhythm but, unfortunately, I didn't find any orchestra to play with me smile

As usual, it was played by memory. I hope you enjoy it.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jazztpt
Experience:35+
Title of piece:Yes I Do
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:03:06
Source of music:Original Composition
Instrument used:Roland 101e Digital Pinao
Recording method:Digital Piano to PC ( Audacity)
Additional info:I wrote this tune a few years ago and usually play it straight as a ballad. In this version I added a couple of choruses of improvisation - I would normally keep to one chorus but got a bit caried away :-)

Lunch today: Soup

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:RedKat
Experience:Had to follow compulsory "basic" piano during my violin study as a child. Well, it was very formal, just for the record. Now, has been playing for a bit more than 1.5 year after 30 year break
Title of piece:Prelude Op.28 N.6
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:00
Source of music:Memorized sheet
Instrument used:Essex EUP-123
Recording method:Zoom H1 WAV 48/24, Audacity to convert to mp3 192kbs
Additional info:I am playing Chopin again. Again very beautiful and very sad prelude. It is played a lot and there are many interpretations around. I do not know whether I was able to give it something of my own. Interestedly, according to the score it is played without the pedal except of the 2 culminating measures in the middle. I found it quite impossible to play without the pedal at all: the tolling bells shut too abruptly. Yet, I have tried to use minimum pedal (quarter to half) throughout and full pedal in those 2 measures were the pedal is ordered. Please, forgive some bobbling keys here and there. It is getting warm and humid and some keys start to bobble. I hope you will enjoy it, anyway.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:6+
Title of piece:The Way We Were
Composer:Alan & Marilyn Bergman (words); Marvin Hamlisch (music)
Duration:03:06
Source of music:Alfred's Adult Greatest Hits - Movies - Level 2
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This is the beautiful title song from the popular romantic movie from 1973 starring Robert Redford & Barbra Streisand. It won an Academy Award for Best Original Song (also a Golden Globe Award and a Grammy Award).

The catalog of songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman is filled with highly lyrical and listenable pieces written for movies, TV and the stage. Marvin Hamlisch is an outstanding conductor, composer & pianist who is one of only two people who have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony awards and a Pulitzer Prize (the other was Richard Rogers). I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Hamlisch in person at Wolf Trap (a performing arts National Park near Wash., D.C.) several years ago when he conducted the National Symphony Orchestra in a program of the incomparable music of Rogers & Hammerstein.

This is a fairly simple arrangement that I've enhanced somewhat with a few supporting melody and harmony notes here and there, and several easy moves between octaves, but primarily by making use of the music of the last line of the bridge ("...tell me, would we? could we?...") to serve as both an *intro* and a *tag ending*, which I am hoping is somewhat effective in the overall presentation of this basic arrangement of the song.

Here are the song's literate and nostalgic lyrics (with my additions at the beginning and end):

...tell me, would we? could we?...

Memories, light the corners of my mind,
Misty, water-colored memories,
Of the way we were.

Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind,
Smiles we gave to one another,
For the way we were.

Can it be that it was all so simple then,
Or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again,
Tell me, would we, could we?

Memories may be beautiful and yet,
What's to painful to remember,
We simply choose to forget.

So it's the laughter we will remember,
Whenever we remember,
The way we were.
The way we were.

...tell me, would we? could we?...

Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy, Trap

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES 110
by Bebe1980 - 05/15/21 09:10 AM
Key weight after regulation
by alabana - 05/15/21 08:50 AM
RE: Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/15/21 07:43 AM
Recital #62 - May 15th 2021
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:20 AM
Recital #62 - General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,945
Posts3,093,803
Members101,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission