2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, antune, 28 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 604 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I play the CP300 slab piano and considering to upgrade to a console because of the "complete" furniture looks.

However, after trying the CLPs(even the CLP480 flagship), I felt that the CP300 sounded more dynamic and clear.

CLP sounded abit "fake" and the samples sounded "recorded".

I suspect there is a difference in sampling technology here and maybe difference in speakers capabilities.

I do not use headphone and rely on the onboard speakers to generate the sounds.

CP300 pianos are clearer, despite being a 2006 model.

Any similar experiences with CLP400 series clavinovas?

I have a feeling that the very best piano sounds on Yamahas are found on the MOTIF synths and the CP line.

D
D
Haven't seen or heard it for myself (yet), but I've read a few threads here and elsewhere where some folks have preferred the CP300/33 over the CP1/5/50, despite being older (by 3.5 years or so) and previous generation (AWM vs SCM) technology.

Last edited by dje31; 03/29/12 12:30 PM.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's the speakers.

P
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's the speakers.

I agree, CP300 gives some nice vibrations when you play
but sound engine it's better in new clavinovas.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It's the speakers.

Huh?

The CP300 has a two 13 cm speakers.

The CLP480 has (16cm + 8cm + 2.5cm) x 2 speakers that are stereo tri-amped plus 8cm x 2 soundboard effects speakers with separate stereo amp.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
I wasn't including the 480 ... the only CLP with anything close to decent sound.

Other Clavs have speakers pointed downward. If I had ears on my shoes it would sound better. But I don't so it doesn't.

There are top-mounted tweeters, which seem good in theory. But in practice they're worthless.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I wasn't including the 480 ... the only CLP with anything close to decent sound.

Other Clavs have speakers pointed downward. If I had ears on my shoes it would sound better. But I don't so it doesn't.

There are top-mounted tweeters, which seem good in theory. But in practice they're worthless.

The CLP-480 was the only CLP specifically mentioned by the OP.

I've only heard one CLP/CVP console, and that was the CVP-409 console (which sounded pretty good), with speakers similar to the CLP-480. (But not as good as the CVP-409GP with its midrange and woofer speakers mounted on the upward facing soundboard firing partially into the deflecting surface of the grand-style top board.) So you may be right about the other Clavinova's, I don't know. I do know the dome tweeters in the CVP-409GP are mounted facing the player and aren't worthless at all. I thought they did the same with the tweeters in the consoles, but maybe not?

It does seem strange to me that Yamaha could find a way to get the sound out the CLP-480 and CVP-409 (I don't know which way their midrange speakers face) and not the other consoles.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
He made no mention of the CLP480 ... only of the "CLP400 series".

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
He made no mention of the CLP480 ... only of the "CLP400 series".

Really?
Originally Posted by motifmm6

However, after trying the CLPs(even the CLP480 flagship), I felt that the CP300 sounded more dynamic and clear.

Macy

S
S
i agree, it's the way the speakers are placed

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think through headphones you might discover the sounds are VERY similar ...even identical in most respects wink

All Yamaha DP's are based on the same sampling sessions.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yes, exactly. That's mass production. Build the same thing and sell it at low, medium, and high price points, with just a hint of enhancement in the higher-priced models. The same chips, the same boards ... mostly the same everything. Just a different "face".

Now, that makes me wonder ...

Does the low-end model contain the same 5-level sampling as the high-end, but with a configuration setting that allows only 3-levels to play?

Does the low-end model contain the same large number of voices as the high-end, but with a configuration setting (or limited control panel) that allows only a few to play?

And ... are there any hackers out there who can "mod" a low-end piano and turn it into a high-end?

C
C
People mentioned samplings and speakers. There is at least another factor, the ADC chip, which turns the sampled data to real sound, might be significantly different.

M
OP Offline
M
The speakers matter alot. You can tell from the youtube videos. Those who record directly on USB produce top quality sounds, whereas those playing thru the native speakers suffer a loss in quality. When you hear the CLP sounds (even the 480) through the native speakers, you can sense a hint of the sounds being "recorded" or sampled.

But in CP300, playing through the speakers, the sound is distinctively clearer. It sounded more like sounds coming from actual string and soundboard. The hammer strike is also audible. I thought it was due to the position of the speakers and quality of speakers.

I am tempted to go for a console. But to give up top quality sound for a good looking console, I am thinking hard again.

M
OP Offline
M
MOTIF series (XF and S series) synths produce top quality piano sounds via good speakers. But such are slabs. No bench, no music rest, no dust cover.

T
T
Any news or rumors about the successor of Yamaha CP300?. Is there a new model on the way? Thanks!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Terry Sham
Any news or rumors about the successor of Yamaha CP300?. Is there a new model on the way? Thanks!

The successors have been out for some time now, the CP1, CP5, and CP50.

I for one don't want a slab with speakers, but that's just me.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
T
T
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by Terry Sham

The successors have been out for some time now, the CP1, CP5, and CP50.

I for one don't want a slab with speakers, but that's just me.

Thanks Dave,
I would like to buy a digital stage piano with built-in speakers. The Yamaha CP300 looks great, but it was released in 2006. I am afraid a new model is on the way with newer technology. Thanks!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It would be my uniformed guess that Yamaha will introduce the followup series of the CP1,5,50 in two years.

On the other hand, if you always wait for the latest you deny yourself something now to enjoy.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
K
K
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
It would be my uniformed guess that Yamaha will introduce the followup series of the CP1,5,50 in two years.

On the other hand, if you always wait for the latest you deny yourself something now to enjoy.

How much do you want to bet in two years Yamaha's succesors will not have more than 128 polyphony and the samples are still not vey large in size. I really hope I'm wrong and we get true 256 polyphony with their latest AG series sound sample. Or better yet, the new CFX grand.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission