2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (EssBrace, BlakeOR, Emily2Lame, Alex C, Calavera, Beansparrow, CyberGene, 9 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 647 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
So, I've narrowed down my search for a DP to either a P95 or a P155. It's pretty clear that the P155 is better, by my concern is more about whether or not I'll really be able to notice the value in it within a reasonable amount of time, given my personal experience level.

I'm interested in learning to play, but I haven't touched a piano in, oh, maybe ten years? My plan is to take some lessons, supplement aggressively with some self-teaching. Overall, we're talking maybe 4-6 hours a week (this is just a guess, but I think it seems reasonable).

I'm fine with spending the extra now on a P155, but I'm also fine with getting a P95 and then eventually upgrading to a P155 or something similar down the road. My thought in maybe getting the P95 would be that, as a fresh beginner, the differences wouldn't be so obvious to me, and after a little while practicing I would be able to actually evaluate things better and get a feeling on my own of what to buy later down the road.

In short, will a total beginner really notice the difference between a P95 and a P155 in a way that justifies the price difference within, say, a year of playing 4-6 hours a week?

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi. I think you would notice a difference within a few weeks (or maybe even days) with the amount of time you would be playing and given that you have some prior piano experience.

I recently bought a used P155 from my local music store and have been very happy with it. When I first saw the P95 I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised at the price. However, in taking some time to look around and try different digitals I realized that the action (feel of the keys) would be one of the most important things for me. So after much deliberation and going back and playing the P95 and P155 again several times the feel of the P155 felt so much more 'solid' and better to me. I'm glad I took the time to play both of these. Still a part of me felt like I should just spend less now and upgrade later. However my husband reminded me that if the playing experience isn't enjoyable (or you always feel you're missing something, or making a compromise) then you probably won't play the instrument as much. Plus he didn't want me to get something just to upgrade within a few months. Get something now you will be happy for a reasonable length of time like 3-5 years or more, he said and I agreed.

Since you can spend the money now I think that may make more sense for you. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide in the end.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Zoe is right - I would also suggest the P155. It takes very little time to notice the differences both in sound and in action between the two pianos (I used to play on both, in different places). I would consider the P155 a serious instrument for learning, while the P95 is too much of a compromise. You will also appreciate the possibilities of adjusting the sound on the P155, which are nearly nonexistent on the P95. All sounds, not just the acoustic piano sound, are better on the P155. - Good luck with your decision!

PS. If you are into classical music, a very nice bonus of the P155 is the cembalo sound (*much* better than on the P95) which can even be combined with alternative baroque tunings...

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
D
D
I'm glad someone asked this question. I, too, have been trying to decide on a digital piano. Both of these look good, it is nice to hear others opinions about the P95 and P155. Some beginners have said they love the P95, but maybe they have not been playing it long enough?

Thanks for the feedback.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I think the thing about the p95 is that it sounds and feels good as long as you don't have anything better to compare it with. It's very good compared with standard very cheap keyboards.

I do think the Casios around that price range are pretty competitive with it, though, both in terms of action and sound. I would definitely look hard at Casios (PX130 or something) if I could not afford a P155 and wanted a digital piano.

G
G
I think Zoe above summarizes it.

Also, if you can pull a bit more funds, try out the Arius CP71 - I tried that and the P95, P155 and several other DPs today, and I was very surprised by the Arius - it really feels like my teacher's grand, and I think the P155 also has the same keybed. I don't know why, but it's something to try out, if you have the space/funds for an Arius.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

I bought a P155 1-1/2 years ago on the advice of a professional pianist who i highly respect. I've been very happy with the P155. I hadn't played in more than 30 years. I found it easy to set up and get right down to the business of playing the piano again.

Carl

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GallenWolf
I think Zoe above summarizes it.

Also, if you can pull a bit more funds, try out the Arius CP71 - I tried that and the P95, P155 and several other DPs today, and I was very surprised by the Arius - it really feels like my teacher's grand, and I think the P155 also has the same keybed. I don't know why, but it's something to try out, if you have the space/funds for an Arius.

I just did Amazon and Google searches for "Arius CP71" and couldn't find anything.

Is that perhaps not precisely the correct name for it?

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

I just did Amazon and Google searches for "Arius CP71" and couldn't find anything.

Is that perhaps not precisely the correct name for it?

What I gathered was that it's a Yamaha YDP-C71PE (That's the full name from the website).

Last edited by LilyMayBear; 03/17/12 07:43 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
You know what my answer is!!! smile

However, at the time of my purchase the street price of the P95 was $500 (there was a $50 discount from the $550, and I had another 10% off). My final seemed to be around $484 with tax for the P95

The P155 was still $1,200.
However, now the P155 is at $999 and you can often find a 15% coupon from GC/MF making it $850, while a P95 with a 15% discount would be $466. i have seen it a few times at GC for $839.

As a P95 enthusiast do I think it is worth the extra $384 for the P155? Defintely. No argument that it is a superior instrument. Had the spread been $384 and not closer to $600 at the time of my purchase, I might have gone with the P155.

I have been playing for 32 years, I took classical for 12 but my favorites are Billy Joel/Elton John and I write songs. I did play Rachmanioff's Prelude in C# minor today on it and liked it.

My main motivations though for the P95 were the portability, more so than the price. I really liked the Arius but am in a position where I will have a few moves and wanted something simple.

Why not also consider an Arius maybe 161 as well?

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
So is the YDP-C71PE effectively a console version of the p155?

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It seems more related to the YDP-161,

10 programs vs a few more on the p155.
It does share the GH action, but says on the specs (YDP-C71PE) 3 levels vs 4 on the P155

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
C
C
You should go for a P155 if you can afford it. You will probably notice the weakness of P95 very soon, especially you come to this forum and see what others saying smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by cosun
You should go for a P155 if you can afford it. You will probably notice the weakness of P95 very soon, especially you come to this forum and see what others saying smile

It is subjective to say "weakness of P95". There are people on here that enjoy it. Next time you try to be clever, offer some information to the OP that is actually useful.

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Yes I don't think the p95 has a weakness. It's good at it's price point Nothing really to complain about. Yes the p155 feels and sounds better but it costs more so there is no comparison. If you're thinking about a p95 compare it to others in the same price point. Same goes for the p155. Otherwise between these two figure out what you really want to spend now and go for it. For me here it was a difference of $400 between the two models and I was finally settled on the p155. But then when I went to buy they had a used 155 for $699. This really settled it for me. Still I would have got the p155 new even without this deal.

I don't see outgrowing this piano Anytime soon. And I'm glad I don't feel like I need something better anyone soon either. Time will tell of course but for now playing is nice!!

C
C
Originally Posted by Possum P95
It is subjective to say "weakness of P95". There are people on here that enjoy it. Next time you try to be clever, offer some information to the OP that is actually useful.

Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Yes I don't think the p95 has a weakness. It's good at it's price point Nothing really to complain about.

So sensitive to the word of weakness, to me, "con" = "weakness". Anything has weakness, why doesn't P95? The post is talking about P155 and P95, if P95 has no weakness, why doesn't the author go directly and choose it?

M
M
There is a noticeable difference between GHS and GH keys. Also noticeable details in the voice sampling technology and speakers performance. You get what you pay for. It depends on individual's expectations. How close do you want your DP to sound and feel like an acoustic?

C
C
LilyMayBear, I would suggest you go for P155, if you eventually want to upgrade your current chosen, e.g P95. Why not just buy P155 and enjoy it from the first day? P155 has a great enhancement comparing to P95. The keyboard is much better and I bet you will easily notice the difference. As a beginner, the touch and feel of the action is very important, you'd better get an acclaimed model, GH keyboard is a such model. To sound wise, P155 is extremely much better than P95, with rich sampling on resonance and so on. Both of these difference don't require you to be an experienced player to distinguish. You will stay with them on your every single day.

The strategy of first getting a cheap/entry level model then upgrading to a higher one seems smart, but that's totally not wise IMO because you spent time on such not nicer product in the limited life time. If today you can afford a P155 and just get it and enjoy.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Originally Posted by motifmm6
There is a noticeable difference between GHS and GH keys. Also noticeable details in the voice sampling technology and speakers performance. You get what you pay for. It depends on individual's expectations. How close do you want your DP to sound and feel like an acoustic?

I would certainly want it to sound as close to an acoustic as is reasonable. The reason I gravitated towards DPs and in particular these two models is because I plan on, in the next few years, moving around a fair amount, so some amount of greater portability is important. Beyond that, I'm not really attracted to things like all the different voices and other admittedly interesting things that the DPs can do.

H
H
If you buy the $500 P95, and then buy the $1,000 P155 later, the P155 will have effectively cost you $1,500. Save the money and buy it now for only $1,000. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,877
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission