2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Bennet
Brahms Requiem

Let me guess: especially "How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place"?

(Would have given the German but don't want to be too esoteric.) grin

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
It's another "can't pick just one, or even a dozen" question for me. And I am glad I can't, because that means there are many pieces that have seriously intense meaning for me, and that fact makes me happy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopin Polonaise-Fantasie, 3rd Sonata, and 4th Ballade.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I find it hard to pick as well. And many of those closest to my heart are not solo piano pieces either. The Brahms viola/clarinet sonata in E flat is one; countless Lieder; but for solo piano Schubert's B flat sonata D960 must be near the top of the list.

Du holde Kunst...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
No desire to learn the rest of the sonata though! smile

Aww, the 2nd movement is SO good!

Oh, I agree! But there are just some pieces that I don't want to take the time to learn, I'd rather just enjoy the recordings.

D
D
My heart is fickle. Every few days I find there is something new to melt it. Currently it's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor (BWV 582). Ye Gods! What a colossal achievement!

Stamm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51uHpH3yQk

Last edited by dsch; 03/14/12 11:12 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
Ondine

Same. It's just the most spellbinding piece of music ever for me.

M
M
Angelico, the first piece of Federico Mompou's Musica Callada. It's a very simple piece, but absolutely magical.

M
M
I've spent 5 months on this piece and I think Chopin's Barcarolle will be also a timeless piece in my repertoire ^_^

_
_
Chopin Polonaise Militaire. - My first Chopin piece, also my first "difficult" piece.

Rhapsody in Blue. - Playing this in a recital with my teacher is one of my fondest memories !!

Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto (haven't played this one though !!! ) I just love the way the second movement flows directly in the third.

Schubert D Major Sonata D.850 - Currently learning. I was hooked from the moment I heard the first few measures .

Bach C minor Fantasy and Fugue (an organ piece). Maybe not my absolute favorite Bach piece, but again it was the first 'big' organ piece I learned. It was certainly my favorite piece before I started playing the organ.

I've got a youtube account you're welcome to check out.
Not too much there yet though !
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
After hearing a rivetting masterpiece on our local Classic-Fm radio station ...

it’s always this gem buzzing around in my noggin ...

The latest buzz ... the Chopin Piano Concerto no. 2 Opus 21 which keeps going round and round upstairs ...
amazingly composed in 1830 at the tender age of 20 years.

What’s wrong with me? ...
why can’t I write a scrap of keyboard music to match Fred’s neat PC2?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Chopin: Nocturne no. 20 in C# Minor
Rachmaninov: Prelude op23no4 in D
Bach-Busoni: Chaconne

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Let's talk solo piano:

-Alkan Nocturne Op. 22
-Bach-Busoni Chaconne
-Rachmaninoff 1st Piano Sonata
-Schubert D. 960 Sonata
-Beethoven Op. 111
-Alkan Concerto for Solo Piano

A very tough pick. I think that right now, my answer would be Brahms' F-minor sonata, since I'm currently working on it. I loved it the first time I heard, and I never tire of it. The Brahms D-minor concerto is also on this list, although I've never played it. This is no coincidence, since Brahms is certainly my favorite composer.

Funny you should mention the Alkan Concerto for solo piano, Orange-Soda King. This is also a piece that I could put on such a list. I immediately fell in love with it the first time I heard it, which was during a bit of a tough time for me. I was simultaneously getting over a girl and things were going poorly for me in graduate school. Every time I hear this piece now, I'm reminded of that dear friend that consoled me and got me through a difficult period of my life.

I really don't understand why more (professional) pianists don't play the Alkan concerto. And I won't accept difficulty as an answer; you can't possibly tell me that the likes of Lang-Lang or Yuja Wang can't handle the piece, even though it is an absolute monster (I think that it's the hardest solo piano work that I've ever heard). Not that I like either of those pianists, I'm just saying that today's technical standards are so high, that there are plenty of pianists that could - at least from a technical standpoint - handle it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I agree with you, s.t.richter. They both easily have the technique to make good work of it, although those are two pianists I don't want to ever play that piece. grin Maybe Garrick Ohlssohn, Stephen Hough, or Anton Nel. The second theme of the first movement is just so glorious!! And how he uses it throughout the movement. I'm tired with the Liszt B Minor Sonata and Schumann Fantasie: two unbelievably great works in the Romantic era, but I just hear them SO much now... People should really branch out.

Originally Posted by s.t.richter
....I really don't understand why more (professional) pianists don't play the Alkan concerto. And I won't accept difficulty as an answer....

Is that the rumor?

That might be what keeps a lot of people from playing it, but it's not the reason that most performers have (or give) for not playing it. I'm speaking as someone who likes Alkan, but I realize that the fact is that many people don't find his music that appealing. They simply think it's not that good.

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mirior
Angelico, the first piece of Federico Mompou's Musica Callada. It's a very simple piece, but absolutely magical.

I played the whole cycle in concert at Oberlin. It's an amazing collection of music.. I should revisit it.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
of music I can play: Scriabin - Etude Op. 2 No. 1

others:
Chopin - Nocturne Op. 72 No. 1 (learning)
Liszt - Au bord d'une source
Rachmaninoff - Elegie Op. 3 No. 1
Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op. 32 No. 10
Scriabin - Concerto - Andante
Scriabin - Sonata # 2

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....I really don't understand why more (professional) pianists don't play the Alkan concerto. And I won't accept difficulty as an answer....

Is that the rumor?

That might be what keeps a lot of people from playing it, but it's not the reason that most performers have (or give) for not playing it. I'm speaking as someone who likes Alkan, but I realize that the fact is that many people don't find his music that appealing. They simply think it's not that good.

You're right. Sucks for those people, right? smile

Although, I can speak from experience talking to solid musical figures that don't get into Alkan (yes, even a youngster like me has some experience) that they are quite ignorant to his music, too. You don't fully understand what you don't really know, right?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Is that the rumor?

You're right. Sucks for those people, right? smile

Although, I can speak from experience talking to solid musical figures that don't get into Alkan (yes, even a youngster like me has some experience) that they are quite ignorant to his music, too. You don't fully understand what you don't really know, right?

That's absolutely true. That's why I try some Alkan every so often, maybe once or twice a year. So far... nothing. smile

-J

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission