2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (cygnusdei, accordeur, brdwyguy, brennbaer, august112, Brendan, 36251, bxrdad1, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 517 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Hey guys. I can't figure out what this doodly do means. In the two measure on the bottom of the page it says the 5 notes are together (against the six in the left hand), but the fourth note has this weird thingie which indicates (in the first measure) both B natural AND B flat, and in the second measure A natural and then A flat. Does anyone know what this means?

[Linked Image]

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it written like that for geography reasons - can't display the notes under each other - so it's just another chord; but I'm guessing...

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, exactly. In the next to last measure, play B and Bb together, as one of your quintuplet. In the last measure, play A and Ab together. I've actually seen this in a book about notation. And it's just as LaValse says: in an augmented unison, there is no room to show the notes stacked as a third or larger would be, or even nestled by each other as a second would be.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think they are meant to be played at the same time. They should have scored
the B natural as Cb and the A natural as Bbb.

Last edited by Studio Joe; 02/16/12 08:11 PM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the help. I'm still confused though. It looks like there would be plenty of room to print the two notes side by side as a second is normally written! Why not write it that way? This notation seems to take up even more room. Or am I missing something?

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Thanks for the help. I'm still confused though. It looks like there would be plenty of room to print the two notes side by side as a second is normally written! Why not write it that way? This notation seems to take up even more room. Or am I missing something?

Yes, the notes are on the same space (B) and same
line (A). A second is written on adjacent line/space.

My suggestion above Cb,Bb would allow them to be
spaced like a second in the score.

Last edited by Studio Joe; 02/16/12 08:22 PM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
[cross-posted with StudioJoe: this is in reply to Sam Rose]

Do you mean, move the augmented unisons closer to each other horizontally until they kiss, and have the stem run between them -- instead of having the bifurcation that is shown? There would be no room to put the flat sign if you did that.

The accidentals are solved for seconds by moving one accidental farther to the left than the other, but this works because the note centers are on different vertical levels, so each accidental can be matched up with its proper note.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 02/16/12 08:24 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
My suggestion above Cb,Bb would allow them to be
spaced like a second in the score.

Yes, but there are two voices in the RH, and my suspicion is that for harmonic reasons A natural is the proper spelling for one voice, and Ab the proper spelling for the other voice (and similarly for B natural and Bb in the previous measure). Or perhaps there's some other harmonic reason that dictates "augmented unison" is the proper name of what's going on here, and not "minor second."

Even if not, if Chopin wrote it that way, I'd rather see what Chopin wrote than an enharmonic respelling. I'm assuming that the editor didn't already choose some enharmonic spellings that necessitated this notation!

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 02/16/12 08:34 PM.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Oh, I get it now. I was imagining the way it would be written if it was two notes which are a half step away and are written as a second on the staff (E and F, and B and C). In fact, I can't remember ever hitting two notes which are a half step away together in any music I've done so far, which is why this notation is so unfamiliar.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I got it now. Thanks people smile

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I've tried playing those two notes together, but it sounds horribly dissonant. Is it possible that it means something else? What I understood was to play the notes together. It does NOT sound right. Advice?

It's also possible that it's only sounding wrong because I'm playing it very slowly right now. I just want to be sure it's the correct way to play it before I try to make it faster.

Last edited by Sam Rose; 02/17/12 02:42 AM.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, this is something that will sound bad slow, and will smooth out nicely once you have the passage to tempo. I listened very carefully to a couple of recordings along with the score, and I am quite certain that it must be played together. Its late and I don't want to go to the piano to test for myself though. laugh

Here is a screenshot of the measures in question from a .pdf version of the G minor Ballade that I have saved:

[Linked Image]

Perhaps it will be of some use. smile

[edit] This youtube audio of Rubinstein is the clearest I've heard. The link is set up to start the video a couple measures before.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 02/17/12 05:46 AM. Reason: added link

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Hi Sam,

They have to be played together. There are some things that make it sound beautifully.

1) If you bring out the melody line in these right hand intervals. The so called differentation of notes.

2) When it is played almost like in a movement of kind of a galant type waltz. So the movement on -3- feeling has to stay.

3) The tempo is also a parameter but not the most important to make it sound beautifully. It can also be played nicely in a slow tempo.

4) Listen very carefully to the harmony and paint it all out. Make this dissonance sound as a beautiful sharp colour that spices up the place.

I am sure you will succeed.
My best wishes to you.
Jaak

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting discussion!

And IMO the key to it is:

Originally Posted by Jaak
If you bring out the melody line in these right hand intervals. The so called differentation of notes.

Exactly -- what we sometimes call "voicing."
You need to 'voice' the top notes strongly -- not just in this dissonance but in all these R.H. 2-note combos.

Plus, ideally, to shape the melody (i.e. those top notes) -- shape it like how you might sing it, rather than just getting the notes.

This little passage really could be an etude, and it sort of is. In fact, there is an etude sort of like this -- the 3rd from Trois Nouvelles Etudes.

That's what makes this passage very hard, although I imagine it's not what most of us think of when we think of the hard parts of this ballade. You have to voice those top notes, plus shape the melody. That's hard.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Interesting discussion!

And IMO the key to it is:

Originally Posted by Jaak
If you bring out the melody line in these right hand intervals. The so called differentation of notes.

Exactly -- what we sometimes call "voicing."
You need to 'voice' the top notes strongly -- not just in this dissonance but in all these R.H. 2-note combos.

Plus, ideally, to shape the melody (i.e. those top notes) -- shape it like how you might sing it, rather than just getting the notes.

This little passage really could be an etude, and it sort of is. In fact, there is an etude sort of like this -- the 3rd from Trois Nouvelles Etudes.

That's what makes this passage very hard, although I imagine it's not what most of us think of when we think of the hard parts of this ballade. You have to voice those top notes, plus shape the melody. That's hard.

Yes, this part sounds super easy when you hear the masters play it. Now the challenge will be to make it sound good to my own ears when I play it. It's gonna be TOUGH.

When you say "voice the top notes," does that mean the top RIGHT hand note has to be louder than the bottom one? Or do you mean the two right hand notes have to be louder than the ones in the left hand?

When you hear people discuss this ballade they usually say that the fast bits are hard, but the more time I spend with it the more I realize that the fast bits are pretty easy to master with practice, but the slow bits require an emotional depth that is much harder to perform convincingly. I hope I succeed smile

Last edited by Sam Rose; 02/18/12 08:21 PM.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
....When you say "voice the top notes," does that mean the top RIGHT hand note has to be louder than the bottom one?....

Yes! I would have said so, except I thought it was obvious. Just goes to show, we should never think anything is obvious! smile

But let me ask, isn't this how you play any melody -- by playing that voice louder than the rest? If you don't, then you've just learned something:

That's how you play any melody. smile

Usually "the melody" is on top, so it means you play the top louder than the rest.

Sure, this is an oversimplification -- but not much. It's an oversimplification for a lot of reasons: you don't want to be pounding out the melody, many melody notes are actually soft, and sometimes there are notes in other voices that might be more prominent than the melody. But that principle is a very basic one, and you'll never go too wrong if you follow it. The reason I thought this was obvious is that it's such a basic principle.

Getting back to the current example, here's another principle: The closer other notes are to the melody note -- I mean 'geographically' closer -- the more important it is to make the melody note louder than the rest, especially louder than the notes that are right near it, because since there's less 'separation' to the melody note, the harder it is for the ear to hear them as being differentiated. Like, if you have just a L.H. accompaniment way down there, and a single melody line up there, even if you don't do a very good job of 'voicing' the melody it will still be heard, because there's so much separation. But with stuff like the current passage, where some of the melody notes are very close to the notes just below them, even to the extent that some of them have notes immediately adjacent to them, it's the opposite: unless you do a very good job of voicing the melody, nobody will hear what's going on unless they know the piece and so they have it in their head anyway.

As I said, this is hard. smile

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the explanation!! I think I do some of this subconsciously, but having you spell it all out I now know what to pay attention to smile

This is hard stuff, but I think I'll figure it out.

Thanks again thumb

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,257
Members103,028
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission