2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
23 members (Beansparrow, ColonelBogey, Greta99, Dore, gooddog, Georg Z., achoo42, Dave Horne, 6 invisible), 435 guests, and 582 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I saw on Youtube that the crane truck can take the piano over the roof to the other side of the house/apartment. Is it possible? and do I have to find some very special delivery company to do this?

The delivery company did another evaluation looking at all the measurements, photos I sent (I'm too far away for them to do it onsite) and still confirms me delivery of a grand piano is taking too much risk. But they seem don't have crane delivery over the roof. Should I take the risk just move in the piano through the staircase? But it is likely that it will hit the walls and ceiling and even damage the piano. (The space just fits with a few inches more, but I guess they need more space to move around?)

What should I do? Do you have any suggestions? I'm really upset.

frown

Last edited by StarryNight; 02/14/12 08:02 PM.
B
B
StarryNight -
It all depends on geometry... ie length and capacity of the crane, height and width of your house. One would need all the details to tell. If they say it's not going to work and they have all the info, that's it, for their crane. You could look for someone with a bigger crane, of course.

I'd consider have them cover the corners of the piano so it doesn't get damaged, and repair any damage to the house afterward, after going up the stairs. But that's a completely inexperienced, and therefore probably worthless, opinion.

I hope you figure it out!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Call a crane company (one that does "rigging" and "heavy machinery moving") and get an estimate from them. Problems such as yours is what they do.

Piano teacher.
M
M
All it takes is money!

1928 Chas. M. Stieff 6'1" Grand. Major rebuild 2011
1920 Mason & Risch Upright (actually my mother's)
1971 Hammond R-100
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Alternatively...and I know you don't want to hear this...but you can't fit a square peg through a smaller round hole, so.....you may consider replacing with another piano (upright?) that will ACTUALLY fit where you want it placed.

I wouldn't risk damaging the piano (walls...maybe).
Good luck!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

K
K
I have a difficult geometry for my house in regards to pianos (and other large stuff). When we bought large appliances, custom concrete work etc, they always cause issues....

A very experienced piano mover came and looked. He had moved our old upright up to the floor, then moved it down. He was very knowledgible about the move. He told me that I can have up to 6'0 without issues. Then I became interested in a 6'3". He told me that if the lid came off, he could make it happen. We actually had to take a door off of the bathroom to give him 1 to 2 inches needed to turn the corner.

He was right on the money! I used a company that specializes in moving pianos. All the piano stores in town use this guy.

They (the piano movers) also told us that they hire cranes all the time. The crane time is in addition to the piano movers time. According to him, the minimal charge for the crane in my neck of woods is $1000.00. The crane company just lifts and moves the crane. The piano mover actually handles the piano....

The usual charge for a grand piano move is around $150 to $500.... (the distance factors into the equation because they have to get the piano and bring it to your house and you pay for the transit time) So you can see how quickly this adds up.

I suggest that you listen to the specialized movers. If they specialize in piano moving, they should also have a crane company they work with.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much, Kaismom and all other members. A tall upright may not work too, that's what I was told. That's why I am so upset too. I trust their professional judgement but this is what I don't want to hear. sigh!

Rocket88, thanks. Perhaps I should try call a crane company. And I really hope money works!

Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Music Box Delivery Services have craned many pianos for us.
Is this who you are talking with?

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

G
G
Originally Posted by rocket88
Call a crane company (one that does "rigging" and "heavy machinery moving") and get an estimate from them. Problems such as yours is what they do.

I agree.

Glenn

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Rod,

Perhaps they're the one. I communicate with the music store directly so I'm not a 100% sure.

I'm sure they're professional and I trust what they said, but I really hope some miracle will happen. I can't imagine that I can't play on a piano (certainly the taller one with nice sound) for at least 10 years until I move home again. I have been really really very upset because of this. cry

What do you think?

Sigh!

Starry

Last edited by StarryNight; 02/15/12 02:59 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by StarryNight

What do you think?

I think if your dealer wants to make a deal and it is possible to get the piano into your home. They will do all they can to make it happen. If they cant make it happen I would guess it is not possible.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I think you should just have them build you a piano in your living room. Sort of like building an airplane in a hanger. Seriously, best of luck with this situation and I hope it works out for the best for you. I think you need to get a mover out to your location and have them do an on sight evaluation. It will cost you, but pictures rarely give the whole story in tight dimensions. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. BTW - Tall uprights can be much bulkier than grands to move because grands are moved on their sides with the legs and lyre off. That makes them narrow. You might want to try a Walter, I hear they are designed to be compact for their size. Also, a restored Rippen Alugrand might do it for you - unusual design and very compact for a 6' piano. If you are into mid century modern, it's a fascinating piano, if you can find one. An extreme solution might be an electric grand piano such as ones by Yamaha, Kawai and Helpinstill. These vintage instruments have a real piano action and strings but no sound board, as the sound is reproduced electronically. They aren't the best sounding, but at least they have a real action and strings,and go just about anywhere. I won't mention a digital because I'm sure you've already eliminated that option.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
S
OP Offline
S
I'm sure they want to do business and make money.

Sigh!

but thanks for writing back.

I really wish that some miracle will happen.

frown

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:59 PM
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:50 PM
WTC C-maj fugue (bk 1) analysis question
by hawgdriver - 05/11/21 10:55 PM
DP model numbers and years sold?
by ObtuseMoose - 05/11/21 10:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,876
Posts3,092,491
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission