2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Gene Nelson, beeboss, ando, drumour, AlphaBravoCharlie, fatar760, EssBrace, EB5AGV, DSC, 8 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 598 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone! I got this piece to work on by my teacher, and I wonder, what technical difficulties can one find in this piece? My teacher says this is the best piece to play out of Schubert's op 90 impromptus if you want to improve technique, but when I am looking at the score, I considered it being the opposite... Is the piece even difficult? I mean, I can almost sightread through the first five pages or so... Can anyone help me understand what my teacher means? The piece is wonderful, I must say, although, I prefer the op 90 no 2 and the op 142 no 3, which were the two I wanted to play, but my teacher said this one was better for technique and more difficult, and I find it hard to agree her two opinions.. What do you guys think?

Perhaps difficult in terms of musicality? It is Schubert after all. :P

F
OP Offline
F
Okay sure, musically, but technique? :S I don't know..

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's such a great piece - to me this is the one of the set that most fits the term "impromptu". I can almost envision Schubert playing the initial theme, and then just doing some off the cuff riffing on that theme - just what I see in my mind's eye.

Your teacher may think that this piece will help to work up technical skills you need - you and your teacher would obviously be able to assess that better than anyone here as we know practically nothing of your level/technique. While it may not be the most technically demanding of the set, don't dismiss this as "easy" - it does have some tricky sections, such as the part with the melody in the upper right hand while also playing the rippling 16th note figure. And yes, bringing it all together musically is a challenge too.

My take would be, don't fight it - rather than be disappointed in what you're _not_ playing, enjoy what you are playing. The other impromptus will always be there...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Also, FWIW, I studied 90/2 with my teacher way back when, and then learned 90/1 on my own. Nowadays, I rarely play 90/2, but I do bring out 90/1 on occasion. As technically "fun" as 90/2 is, I just don't find all that much musical interest in it any more.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks 8ude. Well, I love op 90 no 1, just not as much as the other two I mentioned. I have already played op 90 no 3 and 4 and my aim is to learn all of them. Would you like to answer these two questions for me?
1. Which one did you find more technically difficult of op 90 number 1 and number 2?
2. Which one would you say was the most technically rewarding one to play out of these two?

Thanks again! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My personal experience is that the 90/2 is probably more technically demanding. But that said, it's very much a one-trick pony. Once you have the RH runs down, you're pretty much done. Whereas the technical demands of 90/1 may not be right up with 90/2, they're more varied, such as the melody-plus-16ths-accompaniment in the RH, some 2 against 3, some RH jumps, etc.

More technically rewarding - I'd have to say 90/2. But more musically rewarding - I would give that to 90/1.

If your aim is to learn them all, then does it really matter which you tackle first? If you've already done 3 and 4, then 1 and 2 should both be well within your grasp, so I don't know that I'd stress too much over which one you work on now.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
[...]The piece is wonderful, I must say, although, I prefer the op 90 no 2 and the op 142 no 3, which were the two I wanted to play, but my teacher said this one was better for technique and more difficult, and I find it hard to agree her two opinions.. What do you guys think?

Why are you trying to get us to contradict your teacher's opinions? She knows your technique as well as your technical and musical needs. Why do you not trust her?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with Bruce. She probably knows better what you need right now (also based on how you play other pieces, your weaknesses and strengths).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find the left hand more challenging in #1, (it's easy to play the left hand notes but difficult to play them well), and the right hand more challenging in #2. Maybe your teacher feels your left hand would benefit from the challenges of #1.

They're all beautiful and rewarding pieces.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

I mean, I can almost sightread through the first five pages or so... Can anyone help me understand what my teacher means?

Good, then you won't have to waste time learning notes and can get right to polishing up the technical intricacies.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I mean, I can almost sightread through the first five pages or so... Can anyone help me understand what my teacher means?

Good, then you won't have to waste time learning notes and can get right to polishing up the technical intricacies.

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have never yet met a professional musician who regards any music as "easy". Once basic technical difficulties are solved, following and agreeing with Kreisler's post, then the never-ending process of reaching for a more satisfactory performance begins(the one in your head). This is not just a musical process: striving for that specific tone, that articulation, pushes our technique along.

Franz, can you play the pp passages in Op90/3 without the una corda pedal, reserving it for the ppp passages? If so, great. If not, try it. It makes a difference. Then look at Op90/1. Can you do the same here? Should you? Pedalling - helpfully not provided in the Urtext. Again, technique and musicality combine.

To quote Tovey on the Waldstein: "There is not a page in this Sonata that could not be read at sight by a good sight reader. But if you are a good sight reader you should all the more realise that there is an enormous hill to climb from the good sight reading of such music to the adequate playing of it." Note the word "adequate", not "good", or "perfect".

I'm sorry to be negative - my posts rarely are. But Schubert deserves respect and humility, as does all great music. It's not a "been there, done that" process.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Speaking of Schubert, the more I learn of his music (including, but not limited to, piano), the more I am in awe of his compositions!

My wife is working on his piano sonata D664. It encouraged me to explore his other piano sonatas which I had previoulsy overlooked. Some outstanding music there, rarely heard, I think. For instance, I can't remember attending a performance that included one.

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Kreisler

+1

Yes. Technical difficulty is not just fast notes.

Can anyone help me understand what my teacher means?

Franz - You're paying for the lessons. You need to ask your teacher for clarification - not us. wink

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
T
Have you listened carefully to recordings of 90/1? - there are many available at the click of a mouse on Youtube by Zimmerman, Perahia, Baremboim and others. Each will have his own slant on the interpretation and will be worth careful study. My suggestion is for you to do that and then revisit your playing of the work to work up your own interpretation - you may be surprised at finding a level of musical complexity beyond the simple playing of the notes.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
O
O
Originally Posted by sandalholme
I have never yet met a professional musician who regards any music as "easy". Once basic technical difficulties are solved, following and agreeing with Kreisler's post, then the never-ending process of reaching for a more satisfactory performance begins(the one in your head). This is not just a musical process: striving for that specific tone, that articulation, pushes our technique along.

Franz, can you play the pp passages in Op90/3 without the una corda pedal, reserving it for the ppp passages? If so, great. If not, try it. It makes a difference. Then look at Op90/1. Can you do the same here? Should you? Pedalling - helpfully not provided in the Urtext. Again, technique and musicality combine.

To quote Tovey on the Waldstein: "There is not a page in this Sonata that could not be read at sight by a good sight reader. But if you are a good sight reader you should all the more realise that there is an enormous hill to climb from the good sight reading of such music to the adequate playing of it." Note the word "adequate", not "good", or "perfect".

I'm sorry to be negative - my posts rarely are. But Schubert deserves respect and humility, as does all great music. It's not a "been there, done that" process.

+1

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,881
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission