2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (brdwyguy, anotherscott, 36251, accordeur, AJB, Boboulus, 17 invisible), 689 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
Peyton - Another wonderful original composition :-) The opening section really hooks the listener in and develops nicely throughout. Really liked this one!

(Was)TrueBeginner - Nice romantic feel to it, well done on the original piece :-)

BenPiano - I've been looking forward to this one ever since you first mentioned a while ago you were working on it :-) Well worth the wait! Great job!

Serge88 - I always liked this song and your version lives up to the original. The piano sounds excellent too. Great job!

Wayne32Years - Nice work on both the piano and mixing side, Wayne :-) Some great photos on the YouTube video too!

Monica - Great choices for a medley, they blended perfectly and were performed beautifully too. The holiday photos on your video were very nice too :-)

CebuKid - Hey, great job! You exercise great control over the whole piece making it sound easy. Well done! :-)

raptor - Nice work on your first recital! Hope to see more of you in future recitals :-)

BillM - Loving the bluesy groove spin on the original! Great to see you enjoying yourself in the video too.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
#29 raptor ~ Burgmüller Ballade I enjoyed listening, you hid any of the mistakes you say you made well. I listened on the youtube link and the volume could have used to have been a little louder but the sound of the recording was good.

#25 Monica K. ~ Behind the Waterfall/Desert Rain Medley This was very relaxing and I enjoyed the vacation pictures. My family went out west when I was six, possibly to some of the same places but I'm not sure of exactly all the places we went. To this day I have vivid memories of bubbling sulfur pits and the little wooden platforms we had to walk on to see them.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jazztpt

20. Clement - note perfect beautiful playing and I love the website too, great home page pics.

Double thanks, jazztpt. Thank you for your comments and thank you for your visit. smile

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BillM
20. Clemente - Cartas de Amor: Valses íntimos: #1(Love Letters: Intimate Waltzes: #1)
What a lovely tune! I have not heard this before but enjoyed it and your performance very much. Were you rubbing your hands together before you started playing? A very clear and clean recording.

Bill, thank you. You are right. This piece is not known even to Granados fans.
Rubbing my hands together? LOL! Why do you ask? Actually, this time I wiggled my fingers before I started playing. laugh Thank you, Bill, for stopping by.

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
R
R
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the kind comments. I got lots of good feedback for my song and really appreciate it.

I feel very welcome and am glad I made a submission.

As for listening to the other entries, I was really impressed with the talent of all the people that submitted. It's really motivating to see everyone tackling such impressive pieces. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Streaming player working now:-

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_24/play-all.html

If you don't get any sound press Ctrl+F5 a few times, and/or close your browser and restart. If that still doesn't work, click the link below to show the raw playlist, then click Ctrl+F5 a few times to refresh your browser cache. Above link should be OK then.

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_24/playlist.txt

NB: As queried by Sam, I'm tweaking the old domain such that it will auto redirect to the new one, so old recitals will still work with any luck. DNS propagating, will take up to 24 hrs.

Last edited by LaValse; 11/21/11 11:37 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Finally got to listen to the next 10, will listen to the next 10 asap smile

11 Ken -

When I first heard this, I thought WTF, so listened to the full version on YT and still didn't really get it. I listened to yours again, and it grew on me very quickly. I actually really like it now lol and think you did a great job. Thanx for introducing me to this. Exellent!

12 (Was) TrueBeginner

This is very nice, played beautifully, congrats, a great submission smile

13 BenPiano -

The beginning chords to this reminded me of Coldplay's - Scientist, I listened to other versions of your piece on YT, and comparatively, you played this really well, well done smile

14 joangolfing -

This one is new to me, as are many of the submissions, I thought it was really nice and played very well.

15 TrapperJohn -

Played Brilliantly, A little slower than the original, but maybe your intention, congrats!

16 Augustina -

Very nice, and I really liked the second half, smile

17 timmyab -

This sounds very professionally played, there must have been a great deal of hard work gone in to that, another great entry!

18 Bessel -

Not something I'd normally listen to, but nicely played, congrats.

19 Sam S -

Very brave lol, facing the red dot for over 6mins, well done, very nice.

20 Clemente -

Really nice, enjoyed it, may even learn something like this myself, would be something different to add to my repertoire. Great submission smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
bessel -
23. Wayne32yrs - Lady Gaga - Telephone
It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this one... the notes make it sound like you picked it up by ear... I wish I had the ear to do that!

Thanx bessel, smile Yeah it's fun to play!

Norah -
23 Wayne32yrs - Monk, Lady Gaga and Bach. What a perfect kind of recital!

Isn't it just....a bit of everything! wink

Recaredo -
Wayne
I know you are a big fan of Lady Gaga. But if Mrs Gaga listened to your improvisation, she would become a fan of yours. Well done!

Gees, thnx Recaredo!

TX-Dennis -
23 Wayne32yrs - Telephone, Lady Gaga
Wayne, this is quite a fun piece to listen to. I must admit I have not heard the original, but your version is nice. I imagine it was challenging to do all those different voices, too.

Thnx TX-Dennis, it wasn't that hard, I just set a beat going and set the voice to String Piano, then just held down notes in the appropriate places.

casinitaly -
23 Wayne32yrs Lady Gaga I’m another who isn’t very familiar with Lady G (yes, I know, you are wondering if I live under a rock…lol) This made me feel like getting up and dancing. Love the driving rhythm and energy you put into this piece. Great fun, interesting voice for the piano too – I really enjoyed this.

Thankyou, as I said to TX-Dennis, the voice was String Piano smile

Clemente -
23. Wayne32yrs - Lady Gaga - Telephone (Lady Gaga)
I know of Lady Gaga, but I do not know her music. My wife tells me that she likes some of her songs. By listening to you, I can tell you that I like the beat and how well you play those chords. This does not sound easy at all.

Cheers Clemente, it took some learning, but once you've got it, it's not hard at all!

mr_super-hunky -
23. Wayne32yrs - Lady Gaga Okay, that was different! It kind of made me want to dance around like Party-Boy. Actually, I DID! Great timing Btw.

Thnx MR.S.H

CarlosCC -
23. Wayne32yrs - Lady Gaga - Telephone
Believe it or not I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga, so I can't recognize this music... Nevertheless it's funny to hear this work at a piano recital. Congratulations on this improvised score.

Thnx wink

cgyan -
Wayne32Years - Nice work on both the piano and mixing side, Wayne :-) Some great photos on the YouTube video too!

Thnx and thank you for the Youtube comment wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm kind busy this week. The comments are going out slowly... wink

30. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Elegie
In the beginning I would not say this is a funeral song, but throughout the play I could notice that it is sad and "heavy". And I think you did it justice. Well done.

31. Inlanding - Chopin Prelude b-min, and an Original
This is one of Chopin pieces that I like more. So deep, so intimate. Beautifull. And you did a wonderful job. Very professional.
The original piece has, off course, a different style. However, it still fit perfectly in the intimate atmosphere of the Prelude. Wonderful.

32. Teodor - Bach D minor Little Prelude BWV 926
I'm not an expert on Bach but I can appreciate that you did a great job. The piece seems to be very challenging. Good job.

33. Laura Joffe - Fugue #17 in Ab BWV 862
Another Bach piece (someday I'll have to try it...). As i told to Teodor, I'm not the right person to comment Bach pieces, but it seams to me that you did a solid intrepertation. I loved how you managed to clearly play the diferent voices along the entire piece. It sounds OK, for sure!

34. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
I was wating for this, BillM! I'm already accustomed to hear your extraordinary interpretations and It is a privilege to know you're with us.
You play and sing like a Pro, and I loved the way you have kept the rithm of the song. Very, very good! Thanks.

35. cgyan (Iain) - The Snow Prelude No.15
Ok, let's simplify: I'm an Einaudi fan and I like to play his style. Some of my friends (few, thankfully) do not realize why, until they begin to have contact with him when they occasionally ask me to play "anything...". I think this snow Prelude can work like a "connection" to Einaudi world.
About your work: the ambience is wonderfull; your work is excelent and the pauses are timed just right. It's a pleasure to listen this.
It's by listening to these pieces that I can not "drop" Einaudi. And do you want to know a secret? I dropped everything and started working on this piece this weekend(!).Thanks!

36. hawgdriver (Leon) - Ländler (4) D366
Leon, I appreciate very much this piece. The beggining is fresh and cheerful. Then the music becomes more serious and is so well played that I almost see "characters" parading across a scene. Very pleasant!

37. JeanieA - Hallelujah
When I heard this song on Shrek I was very interested in it, and i'm going to play it one day... I loved your interpretation, and thanks for bringing this to us.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
42. Mary Bee- Very nicely played! I like your feel for the pedal. Just the right amount. Nicely recorded too.

A
A
9.) LadyPayne- The Song of the Unknown- Awesome job sister!:) Very pretty.

44.) Little_Blue_Engine- Prelude in C Major- I love this piece, you played it very well.

45.)notbach- Von fremden Ladndern Und Menschen (Op.15 No.1) Great!:)

17: TimmyAB- Prelude and Fugue in D Minor Bmv 851 Bach- WoW! You played this so well. I really enjoyed listening to it^_^

18. Bessel Sonatina op 36, no 1 3rd movement Clementi- another peice I am unfamiliar. It kind had a happy feeling to it. smile you played it very good.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
42. MaryBee - Sonata No.11 in B-flat major
[...]The recording is a little compressed so that Tascam isn't doing you a service here.

jazzwee
- Thank you SO much for this comment. After reading this I wondered if it might be something I was doing wrong when converting from WAV to MP3, since the resulting files were so small. I had been using an old version of Audacity to do the conversion, and didn't realize that there are quality settings that you can adjust (since they were hidden under Preferences). So I changed those to the highest quality, and went back and reconverted all the WAV files from my past recitals to MP3 using less compression. The new MP3s are about twice the size of the old ones, but I think the sound is better. I can't quite describe it, but I think it sounds "crisper" or more in-focus, somehow. I wouldn't have thought to do this unless you had said something, so thanks again!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It's been a struggle to listen, I know, what with all the server problems. But thanks everyone for commenting on the recital pieces despite the problems. Here are some more of my comments:

04. CarlosCC - Monday this is great for your emergency recording. I do find it sad, but also a little apprehensive or anxious, if you know what I mean. But you did a good job of conveying the emotion.

05. Jazzwee - Body and Soul A mellow body and soul!

06. knotty - Blue Bossa A live band - what a treat! Loved it.

07. Mr_Super-Hunky - Tears of Joy - original cover Wonderful as always Mr. S-H.

09. ladypayne - The song of the unkown Glad I could be a part of the audience for your first composition. Loved the sudden changes in dynamics/texture - they were cool.

10. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford Very smooth - I really enjoyed it - hope your health problems continue to improve.

11. Ken. - Evidence How odd. After listening to it three times I still can't make much sense out if it - but your playing was great!

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sighs Of The Night Wow, sometimes your wrist is really high in the left hand - sorry but that's the first thing I noticed. That's what you get for putting up a video! But I loved the piece - you played it very smoothly with great feeling.

13. BenPiano - Nuvole Bianche Very musical. Don't worry about the missed note...

14. joangolfing - Prelude No. 1 in G Minor The old piano sounds great. Never heard of this composer before, but I liked the piece and loved the way you played it.

15. TrapperJohn - So In Love Nice rendition Trap.

16. Augustina - Defying Gravity I'm not familiar with the musical or the song, but I loved your playing.

17. timmyab - prelude and fugue in d minor bwv 851 Impressive. Excellent job.

20. Clemente - Cartas de Amor: Valses íntimos: #1(Love Letters: Intimate Waltzes: #1) Nice web page. Lovely playing.

22. Serge88 - You're Beautiful Nicely done...

24. dannylux / Mel - "Greetings To Liszt" Etude Thanks for resurrecting this from obscurity. It does sound very Lisztian. I really liked the middle section - sounds difficult...

25. Monica K. - Behind the Waterfall/Desert Rain Medley Loved the video with the slideshow - that was great. Thanks for sharing.

26. CebuKid - The Chrysanthemum - an Intermezzo The B?W video was a nice touch. You have a nice touch for this piece, not overpowering it. Liked it a lot.

27. Norah - The Cutty Sark Sounds like a jig! You've got the right feel - very nice.

28. Andy Platt - Clementi Sonatina No 4 in F Nice job - there were some impressive moments.

30. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Elegie You brought out the melody line very well, with a quiet acompaniement. And nice dynamic changes.

More to come...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I
I
Well... I wasn't able to participate this time because I didn't have enough time, however, I want to share with you the song that I wanted upload for this recital, is a cover from the song called "Waking Dream" by "Dave Thomas" Of course is another song inspired by the Yann Tiersen style, I hope enjoy it!!! smile

P.S. I'm listening your songs in this time, I hope comment every song in a few moments!!! grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
4. Carlos- I would not say it is all that sad but it definitly has almost a bluesy sound to it at times. There is a C# you hit (I think it's a C#) that really says "blues". A very pretty piece. Nicely played!

6. Knotty. Wow.... I have to play this one in the morning when I need to really get going. What to say. You are a pro!

9. ladypayne. No ideas for a name but it is a very interesting piece. I like how it builds and builds and then... space, and you slowly pick it back up.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
31. Inlanding - Chopin Prelude b-min, and an Original This was a very tender and delicate performance. Very nice control and eveness with your playing. Nice transition at 2:12 to another performance with a great jazzy flair. Nice sustain on your piano too.

32. Teodor - Bach D minor Little Prelude BWV 926 Teodor, I think you are doing great. Fancy runs, trills, correct timing and some tricky sightreading. Keep up the good work.

34. BillM formerly b528nf7 - I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues What I love about your performances is simply how 'real' they are. You always put so much of yourself out there for us to enjoy. Always a pleasure.

35. cgyan Iain - The Snow Prelude No.15 Iain, you are one of just a handful that I have set VERY high expectations for because I know what you are capable of. You posses the inner emotion that you simply cannot fake. To be totally honest, I REALLY want to hear you on a full sized grand sometime. They were meant to be played by someone with your abilites to express emotion. Goosebumps!

36. hawgdriver Leon - Landler 4 D366. Now this is control, this is timing, this is balance all wrapped in one. I especially like the smooth transition at 1:53. Very, very well performed.

37. JeanieA - Hallelujah. This is such a beautiful piece it is almost cheating! Finally, the "secret chord" song. I loved your playing of this piece and imagined playing this along with you since it is one in my repertoire as well. Very enjoyable.

38. FarmGirl - Pathetique 2nd Movement You did a great job with this delicate piece Farmgirl. Very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to. Maybe one day I'll hear you play it live!

39. Copper - When You Wish Upon a Star. Wow Copper, you've been practicing haven't you? I loved the slight jazzy flair of this timeless piece that you gave it. your improving all the time. Very noticeable this time actually. Keep it up, you're making a lot of progress. Even the endings are getting more dramatic. "Most improved" for sure this time around. Free fill up of AV-gas next time on me!

40. WiseBuff - Addie wow, this was such an enjoyable piece. Especially after reading this part of your description.

"Many years...but have returned to simple pieces to increase speed and expression."

Your mindset could not be more 'spot-on'. It's not really the piece but rather how you play it and how much of yourself you put into it. That's what counts most. Beautifully played. your emotional input came through loud and clear.

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 11/21/11 11:14 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you, thank you to the following pianists....

jotour, FarmGirl, Inlanding, jazzwee, Andy Platt, Sam Rose, CMohr, BillM, Peyton, bessel, Little_Blue_Engine, TX-Dennis, casinitaly, clemente, Mr_Super-hunky, CarlosCC, cgyan, and SamS

...for listening and commenting. smile Your words really mean a lot to me, and inspire me to do more!! I read every one of your comments and they all put a smile on my face. (often times, I read them on my smartphone, and reading them puts me in a great mood at work)....

I was thinking of taking a hiatus from Joplin in 2012, but now have changed my mind. This is definitely a niche genre that I really do enjoy, seem to understand, and it brings out my best.

My interpretations always end up on the "happy side" - even when I try to copy more somber interpretations. Next recital, I'll probably play something else (I currently don't have any new rags in the works right now), but I'll definitely be playing ragtime for you guys at least sometimes...or....maybe most of the time...lol. We'll see.

Aside from some of my flubs and glitches, this interpretation turned out really good - I liked it after hearing the recording, and I'm glad you all agree, and also glad that I achieved my goal of entertaining you with this piece. I'm also happy to introduce you guys to little known Joplin pieces (which I'll continue to do - there's over 50 Joplin compositions, lots of them, hidden gems, and I'm only 1/10th of the way there). Thanks again!!

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Thank you, ...for listening and commenting. smile Your words really mean a lot to me, and inspire me to do more!! I read every one of your comments and they all put a smile on my face. (often times, I read them on my smartphone, and reading them puts me in a great mood at work)....

Feels good huh? You really summed up the true meaning of these recitals and how much effect they can have on someone. It's almost a drug of sorts. Certainly a motivator.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Thank you, ...for listening and commenting. smile Your words really mean a lot to me, and inspire me to do more!! I read every one of your comments and they all put a smile on my face. (often times, I read them on my smartphone, and reading them puts me in a great mood at work)....

Feels good huh? You really summed up the true meaning of these recitals and how much effect they can have on someone. It's almost a drug of sorts. Certainly a motivator.

Yup...feels really good! Thank you, mr-super-hunky for your out-of-the box thinking and coming up with this idea 5 years ago. smile

It's no wonder nobody wants to change the format or mix things up...LOL. Now, if I can only start up a ragtime e-cital (or competition)...who's in?! lol

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
IRPRONI #1793775 11/22/11 02:49 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by IRPRONI
Well... I wasn't able to participate this time ... "Waking Dream" by "Dave Thomas"

That's a haunting melody. I like funky swing sound, too. I listened to Dave's version and I like it with the squeezebox. Good music, thanks for sharing. Next time don't hit the snooze button so much! wink

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Sound Generators - Quality? Capacity? Options?
by bob@pei - 05/21/22 11:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,178
Posts3,193,585
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission