2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (EVC2017, chopin_r_us, Boboulus, Barde, c.debussy, dlee1001, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 406 guests, and 553 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If we were to apply the same standards across PW, I would argue that this is not the "right time and place" to put down bloggers and accuse that global collective of narcissism. After all it was a gentle invitation to please leave comments if, as "hoped" by the OP, some members were to read his blog. Moreover the OP is a long term member and active participant here.

In other news, the blog genre is here to stay. There are many interesting and relevant blogs. For Bruce, I would mention a few "high end" blogs that are focused on Classical music and Opera:

Norman Lebrecht's blog (probably the top in Classical music)
Jessica Duchen's blog (she writes for The Independent, http://jessicamusic.blogspot.com)
Anne Midgette's blog (music critic for The Washington Post)
Alex Ross (music critic for The New Yorker)
Greg Sandow's blog (very well written, serious and not frivolous smile )
Intermezzo (Opera reviews)
On an Overgrown path (highly interesting but heterogeneous interests in music; excellent links to interviews with musicians etc)
Stephen Hough's blog at The Guardian
Opera is magic (currently has several Schubert lieder sung by Simon Keelyside with Malcolm Martineau on the piano )

Opera is Magic

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Andromaque
If we were to apply the same standards across PW, I would argue that this is not the "right time and place" to put down bloggers and accuse that global collective of narcissism. After all it was a gentle invitation to please leave comments if, as "hoped" by the OP, some members were to read his blog. Moreover the OP is a long term member and active participant here.

thumb Your post is very appropriate given the "right time and place" arguments people have been giving for using the notify button in recent threads.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jeremy Denk's blog is great too!

Andromaque, I agree. If people do not like or understand blogs, they should not read them. I enjoy David's blogs and posts here.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yep. I forgot Denk, but he has not been keeping it up to date. He is too busy I bet.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bruce, and others, in the manner of a conversation:

“Mr. Burton's blog, which does have an index of sorts, has a "Home Page" that begins in medias res, as it were, with an article on his discovery of Lief Ove Andsnes, followed by writings on :

- an electric supercar [Yes, it's something that my regular readers might enjoy, at least afew of them]
- a plaque on a bench in a park [Similar, concerning a park in Eastern New York]
- a film about Jelly Roll Morton [That one certainly got a lot of hits]
- "Why We Don't Have More Beethovens"
- a day in New York's Piano Row
- Sturm und Drang in Mozart

These are mostly music-related, admitted, but I'm still genuinely curious as to why these should be of interest to the general public, with what authority or scepticism they should be read when the writer is not necessarily a known quantity - no disrespect intended - and if it is also expected that the casual passer-by would scroll through this long home page to find what may interest him.”

Well, along the right-hand side is of course the index and below that the About Me, and that's about all one gets from most bloggers. I read others' blogs and rate a great deal of what they say by the way it is written and whether the content agrees with other independently verifiable sources; standard journalistic logic. You can search the blog, that's on the right-hand side too, and you can read it as one would an anthology. Most of my postings will be about music so if one isn't partial to music or the music I like then, as one would in a shopping mall, one would move on. I should think that pretty obvious.

“Are we, the uninitiated from the masses, expected to become faithful followers of certain bloggers, or do we randomly pick and choose when we have some free time to browse?”

I have my favourite bloggers I read all the time on a variety of subjects from politics to gardening. Why would one read what others have written? Why wouldn't one just try and see whether what someone said might work by oneself? One blogs to exchange information on a variety of levels. As for the narcissism bit, mentioned earlier, you can usually separate those from the rest of the blogs; they are usually about the personal lives and habits of the authors and are as Bruce says, frequently displayed in a chaotic way so that very often you can't even read them.

“How do we pick and choose, and if that is the modus operandi is it not discouraging for the blogger who writes not knowing that his writing is going to be read?”

There are ways to indicate interest, counters, and so far I get my share of hits so something is working. One picks and chooses based on interest and probably quality of presentation more than anything else. I'm well aware that, odd though it is, the internet makes some more illiterate while forcing the literate to deal with new means at getting at their beloved printed word. I've known voracious readers, have been one myself, though it does strain the eyes and mine aren't the greatest.

“If a blogger, generally unknown to the public, does not have a pertinent bio on his blog with his credentials giving some kind of background who he is and adding, thereby, credence to his writings, why do we want to spend time reading his/her musings, opinions and observations?”

This is the most pointed question of all. Now needless to say, someone such as myself must have had some kind of education. Considering my natural handicaps and limitations, I was fortunate enough to get to know not only what the rudimentary elements of knowledge were, according to the authorities, but the curious and often insidious means used by people, who otherwise might be considered common bunko artists, to gain fame and money for themselves. So, I'm putting you up against your own question; do you need proper credence given to everything you read, and if so why? Why in fact would you be so easily satisfied by mere credentials when someone tells you something in plain English that you can easily verify one way or another for yourself? (I wonder some times.)

“Or are bloggers writing for their friends whom they invite in the hopes that those friends will spread the word about the particular blog?”

Excuse me, but that's so obviously the case, else why would any of us be doing it?

“Or are we expected, without foreknowledge, to randomly read through blogs until we find a kindred soul whose writings strike a chord in our own psyche?”

Gee, how do you find your friends? I guess you might be of the kind who uses an agency to screen all your potential contacts.

“It seems that that would be the equivalent of the proverbial haystack needle search.”

Well, you know, somehow the world manages to go on and people do find each other. Amazing!

“Sometimes context of a particular blog is missing, as in the interview(s) with David Burton on his blog, and that lack of context gives rise to as many questions as it may present answers or information: Why was Mr. Burton being interviewed,”

It's a method of conveying information.

“what was the occasion of the interview,”

Unimportant.

“who was the interviewer,”

LOL, unimportant, I won't reveal all my secrets that easily.

“why should the public - who may not know Mr. Burton - want to read his responses to an interviewer's questions?”

It's kind of like that movie, Field of Dreams, if I build it, they will come.

“There certainly appears to be some of what Deborah sees in the blogs she has visited in those that I have visited, randomly, of course. If, as liszt85 says : "Blogs are meant to put thought into writing which is a useful process for the thinker. It also proves useful for many readers." my responding question would be : "If putting into writing is an aid to the resolution of certain thought processes for the writer, why is it necessary to post those writings for the world to read? Why not just keep a personal diary for one's own reflection and edification?"

Hey, did it ever occur to you that it would pretty silly to learn to read and write if the only stuff you were likely to read was your own. Um, is anyone else getting this?

“It may be true that some readers may find those musings "helpful" (how, by the way?), but it again seems that the likelihood of finding "helpful" musings/reflections/thoughts from others is on a scale that would make the search extremely time-consuming and frequently unrewarding if not frustrating.”

It just depends.

“I used to read with some pleasure and respect David Burton's well-written contributions to the Piano Forum a few years ago [Thank-you!]; but his calling his own blog site a work of art does seem, at best, a bit premature - unless, of course, Mr. Burton and I have a different concept of what constitutes a work of art.”

Hmmmmm, so I guess I'm premature as in the thing ain't finished and I ain't got no call to callin it a work of art til lit is.

“I would suggest to Mr. Burton, since he asks for suggestions, and to other bloggers as well, that a short "bio" giving whatever background might help give credibility to the contents of his blog would be welcomed by many a passer-by; knowing something about the author of the comments written and the recommendations made might encourage the reader to pursue the blog rather than passing over it.”

Well now, this bit that follows is right smack-dab there on my blog for all to see:

About Me
David Burton

Upon graduation from University of the Pacific in 1973, attended Cal State U, Hayward, then worked for IBM at Santa Teresa Lab. In 1984 moved to New York City and worked for Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, The Federal Reserve Bank, and others. In 1990 moved to Atlanta and worked for Dunn & Bradstreet, IBM and others. In 1994 moved back to upstate New York and worked under contract and ad hoc situations since. Married from 1985 to 1994, wife deceased, with two adult children. Legally blind. To communicate with David, please send him an e-mail with David Burton's Blog in the subject line to dpbmss@aol.com

“Estonia 190 in satin ebony”

Yessir, that be a nice piano!

C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012
C
Concerning blogs in general, I have found extremely useful information on some blogs, and interesting things on others. There are some nice blogs from Pianoworld members I read sometimes.
Concerning Beethoven, for me there are only two great Bs in classical music, Bach and Beethoven, and they also happen to be the two greatest composers, I think. Well, there are some others that are not so bad either.
And to David Burton: I guess you do not consider your pianist Hall of Fame complete. Fine that you discovered Andsnes. There are people who can play the piano in Norway too.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gosh, talk about delayed broadcasting!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Just Google Linton Bequest David Burton. Enjoy!

http://dpbmss041010.blogspot.com/p/linton-bequest-by-david-burton.html

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Burton
Just Google Linton Bequest David Burton. Enjoy!

Is this relevant? Just wondering if I should click on this link or not...

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
A
I'm a big fan of blogs, even the narcissistic variety.

It's not as if there's a limited amount of "space" on the internet. Every now and then, I get on a kit-car kick, and I read blogs by people who build them. Or I get on an astronomy kick and read astronomy blogs. It's fun to browse travel blogs before going on a trip somewhere, or political blogs before a dinner party, to arm oneself with conversation topics.

I don't really read any blogs religiously, other than my sister's (whose day-to-day comings and goings are actually of interest to me, since she's on the other side of the country). I leave it to google to handle the cataloging and indexing, and just look for whatever I'm feeling interested in.

For an inquisitive mind, it's a pretty cool time to be alive. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I think blogs are narcissitic and no more interesting than tweets. 'Not going there.

How can they not be at least a little interesting? Anything about someone sharing their thoughts can be interesting; there will always be something you might find useful or simply beautifully put. Like unique expressions. I love reading (good) blogs; I like seeing how different people think, what they're "made of", what they feel and how they choose to express it, how they deal with different situations. And I really like the idea of "stream of consciousness" (think Virginia Woolf's semi-autobiography). That's like saying performig or composing is narcissistic.....

Maybe it's just me. I have a blog that I've kept for 6 years now, and it's completely private - no one can access it without permission (and no one has permission, haha).

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The 4th installment of my book is up for the interested:

There are also new posts here:

http://dpbmss041010.blogspot.com/

Since I also read blogs, if any of you want to share your blog with me and have it reviewed on mine, just send me a link.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
David, might I suggest you add your blog link to the thread I've started about PW member blogs?

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I guess I need a link, had trouble finding it. Anyway, ther are new posts on my blog. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq is a miracle
by meghdad - 05/09/21 05:59 AM
Garritan CFX hiss fix ?
by Barde - 05/09/21 04:15 AM
We remember and honor our heroes
by Maximillyan - 05/08/21 11:27 PM
Playing with others for Senior Recital
by suzukiparent - 05/08/21 11:09 PM
Surprise under 80 years of dust
by TimM_980 - 05/08/21 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,807
Posts3,091,378
Members101,455
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission