2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Ok, I got blasted last time when talking about using computer programs for sight-reading, but I finally got randomized two-handed chords developed, and I want to know if you think practising these are useful:

[Linked Image]

Such heavy chords are one of the toughest to sight-read fluently and they do occur in music. There are some 30 different chord types here, going all the way to 13th chords. Getting direct practise with these from music sheets alone is not enough in my opinion.

Note: My computer programmer friend hasn't finished programming yet. He has finished programming all the chords but is still working on getting them to follow well-known chord progressions.

Last edited by MathTeacher; 09/18/11 10:47 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think you'll get similar comments to what you got last time: Why spend time sight reading junk like this, rather than real music? smile

For example, if you wanted to get practice sight reading things like that, take a look at some Debussy etudes, or some Scriabin. You'd find similar stuff -- and it would be real music. Whatever stuff from those exercises doesn't much occur in real music, you don't need to worry about for your sight reading.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
One of the reasons why just practicing actual is more useful is because you'll actually learn what kinds of chords follow other chords. Your chart is all random and not helpful unless you're trying to read complex music which you probably don't even consider is music.

Secondly, there's not much technique building...you need to realize that even if your brain is able to read such stuff, if your hands don't have the chops there's no point.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
(and you know I hate saying this) But I agree with Mark on this. Why don't you just read a lot of real music? It seems you keep looking for a magical short cut. So no, I don't think it's useful to spend time reading things you would never play.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I understand your thinking that the way to learn to sight-read chords is (in part) to sight-read chords, but without any musical context these chords don't make any sense, and playing music is all about understanding elements in a context. I don't think that being able to read random chords - or random anything in music - is going to be much help in the long run.

I can only repeat what others have said : Why not work with real musical examples?

Moreover, do you not think - given the length of time that CAL has been around - that other pedagogues in music would have adopted the use of CAL for sight-reading if they felt that it produced good results?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by Damon
(and you know I hate saying this)....

Believe me, I understand full well. ha

I'm truly baffled that some feel a need to look for some better way than the good old way of getting better at sight reading, which is to sight read. smile

L
L
Plus, I am seeing at least two measures where (if my eyes are seeing these tiny notes corrcetly)there is notated both a natural and a sharp sign,(as accidentals) on one note! Measure 9 has the low A written that way, and again, in m. 17, the bass line G is similarly notated. I see others, as well, but why go through this very unappealing barrage of notes?

I have to agree with everyone about this. Way too unmusical. Read through some Rachmaninoff Preludes and you will also have a wonderful tonal experience. Or some Albeniz for some enharmonic cathesthenics!

There are some early sight reading drills that may benefit the reader with random notes. However, I think it reaches the point of diminishing returns, and, at this level, one should use music that has a linear cohesion to it. Sorry!

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
Originally Posted by Lea's Muse-ic
....Read through some Rachmaninoff Preludes....

Absolutely! I would have said that if I'd thought of it. smile
Probably as good a thing as there is for what he seems to be looking for here.

MathTeacher: Why are you looking for something other than actual repertoire?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
+1 to what everyone already said.

Best regards,

Deborah
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Also types of chords:

In Classical, romantic, and other more traditional styles, you'll be dealing with octaves filled in thirds, fifths, fourths and sixths. You'll also see filled (or not) sixths, thirds.

In Jazz you'll have to be familiar with other intervals, more frequently chords that span a 7th in their outer intervals.

Most importantly, chords are always written in sequence. Whether they're bass octaves, running thirds or octaves, or just chains of sevenths, the important part about chord playing and reading well is recognizing the sequence and having the appropriate hand positions to deal with it.

Also, it seems you'll never understand this, but when you sight read, I'll bet far more often than not the best way is to read the patterns. So learning to recognize and play commonly occurring patterns in music will help you quickly, playing randomized everythings won't.

Your method sort of makes me think of learning how to read aloud. Do you practice by reading books aloud, reading actual sentences, or would you go to a computer and read out from a randomized list of words?

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 09/17/11 11:32 PM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
For example, if you wanted to get practice sight reading things like that, take a look at some Debussy etudes, or some Scriabin. You'd find similar stuff -- and it would be real music. Whatever stuff from those exercises doesn't much occur in real music, you don't need to worry about for your sight reading.

Rach 3 first cadenza anyone? ha

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As everyone else has told you, what you're trying to do here is a monumental waste of time. In principle I do like the idea of computer-aided learning. Indeed I developed a program to help me internalize some common chord progressions like the II-V-I progression that occurs all the time in jazz. I had the computer flash II-V-I's in different keys randomly and I would try to play the chords without hesitation. It did help me quite a bit. The difference is that I wasn't just hitting random chords. In tonal music chords follow each other in a progression that makes sense. Your scheme of playing random unrelated chords just doesn't make sense.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
That program would help you read the notes, but it doesn't help you build a sense of style, harmonic structure, phrasing, dynamics, or articulation.

It would be exactly like teaching someone to read using a random word generator that had something like this:

Bik froo flurt madapom drott bi greck wherim ciel bumm.

In other words, you end up practicing the sounds of individual letters, but the meaning is lost.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler
That program would help you read the notes, but it doesn't help you build a sense of style, harmonic structure, phrasing, dynamics, or articulation.

It would be exactly like teaching someone to read using a random word generator that had something like this:

In other words, you end up practicing the sounds of individual letters, but the meaning is lost.

Or even:

be exactly that had It like would generator using read random this word something: teaching someone had a to

M
OP Offline
M
Plus, I am seeing at least two measures where (if my eyes are seeing these tiny notes corrcetly)there is notated both a natural and a sharp sign,(as accidentals) on one note! Measure 9 has the low A written that way, and again, in m. 17, the bass line G is similarly notated. I see others, as well, but why go through this very unappealing barrage of notes?

Minor second intervals do occur every now and then in chords in music, do they not?

Originally Posted by Kreisler

Thank you for your calm response. You are right, the chords don't follow any musical pattern. That's because my computer programmer friend hasn't finished programming yet. He has finished programming all the chords (as you see in the opening post) but is still working on getting them to follow well-known chord progressions. He is currently using the follwing chord progression flowchart to get the chords in his program to follow each other musically. Once that is done, is the exercise useful then???

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MathTeacher; 09/18/11 11:07 AM.
It depends, if he's able to program both the progressions and the voice leading tendencies, then I suppose it might help, but at that point, he's basically programmed the computer to produce Bach chorales, which you could download for free off IMSLP.

I guess the point is - what does the technology bring to the table? As many have said, there is a ton of material available, so what's the point in generating more?

I think a random note generator is helpful in learning the lines and spaces, but after that, it's best to put those notes in the context of real music.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
L
L
Minor seconds are half steps. Half steps consist of 2 notes, not one that is notated as first a #, then, in the score, as a natural, and then # again. Look in m. 9 at the low A in the bass clef. Those 2 accidentals are for the same note, not 2 separate notes. Makes no sense at all. The only time you will see such a notation is when the editor is reminding the performer that a previous natural is once again a # or flat, and even that makes no sense in this case. Please check this out.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
[to Kreisler] Thank you for your calm response.....

Wait a minute, wait a minute. grin

Do you mean the others weren't? Just wondering....because I think that's how it looks.

Anyway, since a question here still seems to be why you're looking for something other than what everyone else thinks would be better -- why you're looking for shortcuts -- let me guess this....

Math, I think, is very much about looking for shortcuts. If someone gets an answer to a math issue or proves a concept in a longer way than is possible, that's considered not too good, even though the person solved the problem; it's considered inelegant, and if others find a more direct way, that counts a lot.

I'm wondering if maybe that's where you're coming from: the principles and habits of your field.

If so, I'm sure you know that this doesn't necessarily transfer to other areas. It's always worthy of an attempt, but sometimes it just doesn't apply. We're saying that we don't think it applies to this, or that if it does, you haven't found a solution yet. We're also skeptical that there is one, but if we see it, I would think we'd recognize it.

M
OP Offline
M
Minor seconds are half steps. Half steps consist of 2 notes, not one that is notated as first a #, then, in the score, as a natural, and then # again. Look in m. 9 at the low A in the bass clef. Those 2 accidentals are for the same note, not 2 separate notes. Makes no sense at all. The only time you will see such a notation is when the editor is reminding the performer that a previous natural is once again a # or flat, and even that makes no sense in this case. Please check this out.

In this computer program, a note with both an accidental and a flat means two separate notes forming a minor second, which many chords do have. I don't like the notation the computer program uses either, but that's just the way it is.

You might contact Zenph to see if there's a workaround. That seems like an odd problem they'd be interested in correcting.

www.pianoped.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission