2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (brdwyguy, anotherscott, 36251, accordeur, Bruce In Philly, astrotoy, adamcz, adamjh, 13 invisible), 881 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1746171 09/04/11 10:39 AM
K
OP Offline
K
About a month ago, I started on a new project - to work my way methodically through Bela Bartok's Mikrokosmos. My
motivation for doing this is largely because this is very different from my usual modus operandi. I've never worked through a method book, and I'm keen to see if the discipline of doing so will do me any good. I'm working through in order, starting with Book 1, to see how far I can get. I'm making recordings of each piece as I go both as a way of marking my progress (I don't move on until I have a satisfactory recording of a piece), and for posting here as a potentially useful resource for others. I'm also starting this thread as a kind of blog of the whole process.

I've just finished Book 1. The recordings are here - on box.net. You can download or preview the individual files, and there is a also a zip file containing the whole book.

The early pieces went very quickly, and I could pretty much sight-read these straight into recordings. So far so good.
Later on, a few pieces proved a little tricky but I was in pretty comfortable territory until near the end of the book (the last half-dozen or so pieces) where I hit a serious difficulty ramp. Not that the pieces are hard to play - technically they are straighforward - but I found them very difficult to play without stumbling or hitting a wrong note somewhere. I think it is largely because of the lack of the sort of patterns that I now know I probably rely on too heavily in my reading and learning processes. With chords, or Alberti bass, or even an imitative contrapuntal structure you can read the pattern and there's a lot less real-time information to deal with. It's been a good workout, if only for that realisation, and the opportunity to work on it.

On the whole, I like the 'method', and I think it's a great approach for an adult beginner. The early pieces concentrate on
just getting the fingers moving, without necessarily trying to be too musical. They are more like abstract excercises.
Later on, but fairly soon, hand independence is introduced (the early pieces are all two hands in unison). The emphasis is
on doing different things with each hand, before trying anything too difficult with either. For me, this is the right
approach - tackling the two-handed nature of the instrument straight off without doing any hands-seperate work first. Many of the later pieces are quite musically satisfying, for example 'Imitation and Counterpoint', although only a few bars long is very satisfying to play, and some of the short folk-inpired pieces (e.g. 'Little Dance in Canon Form') are very nice. I
don't think many people would want to learn using only this series, but after Book 1, a lot of more varied repertoire such
as the Anna Magdalena book and Burgmuller's Op 100 would be available also.

Book 2 will probably take me considerably longer. My initial aim was to keep going at least through the first three and
then see where I'm at. I'll probably take a break now to work on some other things and return to Book 2 in a few week's time. I'll post my progress here when I'm back to it.

Last edited by KeemaNan; 09/04/11 10:42 AM. Reason: to apologise for the horrible line-breaks, they don't show up in the preview...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
You play at a higher level than I but the Satie pieces I have gotten from the teaching books for younger students have fascinated me and given me a thirst for more. Listening to the microkosmos pieces, I'm struck that the challenge may not be the notes but the necessary control of expression.

I'll listen to your recordings with great interest. I've just started Burgmueller, maybe the first microkosmos will a be a good goal for next years recital.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's a very cool project you've got going, KeemaNan! I listened to a few of your recordings, from the beginning and end, and I think you're right about them being a nicely structured way of introducing skills to an adult beginner, not to mention excellent sight-reading practice. Thanks for sharing! smile

K
OP Offline
K
Still going - I'm part way through Book 2 but for one reason and another this has been on ice for a while. I will get back to it fairly soon I hope. I saw some discussion of Mikrokosmos in another thread, so I'm giving this a bump before I link it there...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm a self teaching AB of about 2 years, use Alfred's, Piano HB, Rachel's, and have learnt a small repertoire of small classic and modern pieces.

I included Mikrokosmos in my practice starting this year.

I'm hoping it will help with sight reading, hands together and hands independence, and rhythm/tempo (I don't/can't count and play, but am doing so with Mikrokosmos).

Do you think this will help me or should I drop it? Thanks

K
OP Offline
K
spanishbuddha, I have personally found Mikrokosmos very beneficial. It is definitely very good on the areas you mention, particularly hand independence. Also for reading/counting it is good because it always forces you to think rather than going with the flow of an obvious and simple tune or rhythm - Bartok's harmonies and rhythms are rarely obvious !

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,160
Posts3,133,112
Members102,761
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission