2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I understand that the periods of music history (baroque, classical, etc.) weren't named until many years after their time. So my question is if you were to name the 20th century period of music, what would you name it?
Also how does a name become accepted by society as the name of that period? One cannot just deem it whatever they want and expect the world to follow.

Thanks,
Adam

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninoff
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Adam Coleman
I understand that the periods of music history (baroque, classical, etc.) weren't named until many years after their time. So my question is if you were to name the 20th century period of music, what would you name it?
Also how does a name become accepted by society as the name of that period? One cannot just deem it whatever they want and expect the world to follow.

I would call the 20th century period of music the 20th century period of music smile

The problem with the 20th century is that there was an explosion of different genres and styles of music after about 1920, so it's unlikely there will be a unifying name. Of course, there was stylistic variety in earlier eras of music as well, but I'm not sure any period has been as fertile for the development of new kinds of music than the time between about 1900 and 1950.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

It all depends on usage, and who knows how that will turn out. There's no particular reason that a terminology will be based on a period of time, per se. I think it is more likely that stylistic considerations are what drives the usage. "Impressionism" seems in place already for a certain style that covers some early 20th century music. "Neo-Classical" and "12-tone" and "serial" also seem well established. I see "Neo-Romantic" getting bandied about, but it seems to actually refer to different trends (e.g., the neo-Romanticism of Howard Hansen and the neo-Romanticism of Penderecki are fairly different in nature), so it may need tweaking. There's a term I see in architecture that would make some sense if applied to classical music - "mid-century modern" - it could cover a lot of classical music, from Hindemith to Schuman to Jolivet to Ginastera.

A
A
First, some time has to pass.

A piece of art has to first have appeal to it's generation, and then a universal appeal that keeps it going. Charlie Chaplin was not the number one silent film comic of his time, but The Tramp is now a classic character. In fact, very few people can name any of his contemporaries.

Likewise, I don't think we're at a point where we can really judge the contemporary period, simply because we haven't had enough time to let the stuff that was popular sift through the stuff that has universal appeal. I think once this has happened, we can look at overarching trends and come up with something.

Hopefully it won' t be a mess of genres like electronic dance music seems to wish it was.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I think that whoever writes the next standard musicology textbook would have a huge influence if they created new period names (assuming the publisher let them do that).

Sam
T
T
So my question is if you were to name the 20th century period of music, what would you name it?

Plinky plonky crash bang garbage.

Thal

I'm inclined to agree with Thal
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Eclectic.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
There are some great ideas here. I have a few thoughts:

First, we don't have to create a term for the entire century, because musical labels are usually based on things other than time-span. [Depending whom you ask, of course,] the Baroque era lasted 150 years (1600-1750), the Classical period lasted 50 years (1750-1800), and the Romantic era - who knows? 100 years? 140? Impressionism was a short one - one might say it lasted only 30 or 40 years. So, in my opinion, given the diversity of ideas and styles already mentioned, it would be perfectly legitimate and not at all unusual to divide the 20th century into multiple eras, rather than trying to find a single label for the entire century.

Second, stylistic diversity doesn't mean that we don't call it one era. The Romantic era is full of diverse styles - particularly considering the effects of nationalism - as well as diverse ideologies (absolute vs. program music, for example), and I would even say that etudes, sonatas, and operas are completely different stylistic genres. But the Romantic era is generally lumped together as one, despite this stylistic diversity, because of the overarching connection to the philosophy of Romanticism. So if we could say that there is an overarching philosophy that ties together most 20th century music, then we could label it as one era, but I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case.

Third, there is always a period of transition and overlap between eras, and those transitions can be short or long. We pick dates because it makes things easier for us, but knowing that it isn't that simple might actually simply the issue of 20th century music for us. Could we consider the early 20th century (or go a bit earlier, say 1880 - 1940) not an era of its own, but rather a long period of transition between romanticism and atonality? ("Atonality" then being a label for the main 20th century era to follow?) Even guys like Schoenberg, Prokofiev, and Bartok began by writing very romantic-sounding music. The path to atonality took a long time - decades, even an entire century for the system of tonality to gradually be broken down by adventurous composers who didn't all know where they were heading. Imagine going from the harmonic system of Mozart to Schoenberg's "Pierrot Lunaire" - it didn't happen over night. Chopin pushed tonality, Liszt took it even further, who can believe what Wagner did with the Tristan chord, Brahms resisted (who can blame him?) but couldn't stop the impressionism to follow, then there were Stravinsky and Bartok and finally we get to Schoenberg. Musicologists in 1910 couldn't have known how influential atonality, serialism, etc would be on the development of 20th century classical music, and therefore it's possible that they wouldn't have known they were in such an important period of transition when they were first describing what they thought was a new "modernist" era.

Another thought, coming off that last one, is maybe we could call the transition period an era of its own with its own name, not just "transition", or maybe it's a collection of smaller eras. As already mentioned, so many names were invented in the early 20th century as people tried to define a new era - expressionism, modernism, neo-classicism, neo-romanticism... but maybe "modernism", "expressionism", etc are not eras at all, but rather genres or styles within a larger era. Or maybe those names arose because people THOUGHT they had reached the new era, but little did they know that they still hadn't gotten there yet - they were still in midst of a wild transition.

That's what I think. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Last edited by pianojerome; 07/27/11 09:40 AM.

Sam
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If we consider the 20th century to be post-Romantic, then maybe Intellectual, or something similar? Intellectual is the politest word for me. Academic, Barren, Unmusical, Artificial, Contrived, Experimental are some other words that spring to mind. (I am not a fan........)

T
T
I think intellectual is an excellent description of say the latter part of the 20th century and contemporary works.

In addition, you really need to have a degree and a beard to appreciate it and be able to write a thesis on one phrase.

Thal

I'm inclined to agree with Thal
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by thalbergmad
In addition, you really need to have a degree and a beard to appreciate it and be able to write a thesis on one phrase.

Frankly, I think that's nonsense. But I hear that often, even from so-called professional musicians, so I don't blame you for thinking so.

All one needs to appreciate music (and that includes contemporary music) is an open ear.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by sandalholme
Intellectual is the politest word for me. Academic, Barren, Unmusical, Artificial, Contrived, Experimental are some other words that spring to mind. (I am not a fan........)
If you think of the whole broad sweep of 20thC music your adjectives apply to a rather small part of it.

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by mrenaud
All one needs to appreciate music (and that includes contemporary music) is an open ear.
thumb

Du holde Kunst...
A
A
Originally Posted by currawong
thumb

I couldn't agree more!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Along with an open mind........ grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[quote=thalbergmad]

And a critical mind.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Somehow I feel that it's important to cite what was going in Russia during the cold war years compared to what was happening outside for polical reasons. You see Prokofiev doing his own thing, Shostakovich....but at the same time you have Messiaen, Boulez, Ligeti, Stockhousen, Webern...everybody else.

And what about Scriabin, who took quartal harmony to the extremes and landed up in a non-strictly-organized atonal idiom?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission