2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, let me quickly introduce myself... my name is Matteo, I'm an italian adult "restarter" relocated in Houston, TX... I played piano shy of 15 years when I was younger... than life happens, bad accident to the left arm (now 95% recovered)... 10ish years without touching a keyboard... and than I felt I had to restart.. so I got a digital ydp 161, that is perfect for night practice, czerny, hanon, scales, chords and to learn the notes... but I really miss the feel of a grand.

I went a little bit around Houston stores and I'm more confused that before..... and I probably need some hints...

first where I can find a reputable technician in the area to come with me to inspect a used piano... I like japanese pianos ( I had a kawai gs30 back in the days and I still like it... ) lately I have seen a lot of kawai KG-something, yamaha G3s (no C3s around...) a GS30... I felt in love with a mason and hamlin... (too bad I can't afford it.)...
than if you know any reputable shop in houston that will work with the customer and will stand behind the product sold.

Than... I gave myself a 6 month timeframe to before the purchase, but I like to start collect information early... I need to see how much and how fast I can recover my left hand agility... incredibly the right is working pretty damn good considering the "time off"...

I missed this too much.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Good for you that you're back to playing. I found Larry Fine's book on pianos VERY helpful before we bought my grand. Sorry I know nothing about Houston but I know there's a technician forum on Piano World and there may be some Houston connections there. Good luck.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Benvenuto Matteo!
I don't know about technicians or shops in Houston - maybe if you ask on the Tuner-Technician forum they can help you?

You've found a good place to share the happiness of piano playing!

Good luck with your search!

(excuse me, I see Wisebuff "beat me to it" - sorry to be repetitive!)

Last edited by casinitaly; 07/06/11 08:13 AM.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thank you guys... I'll try to ask in the tech forum :-)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, Ataru074. smile

I think you have a sensible plan in place. Our usual advice is to (a) try every piano within reasonable driving distance, (b) take your time, and (c) don't buy a used piano without getting it inspected by a technician first--and your plan appears to cover all of those components.

What, if I may be so nosy, is your approximate budget range? I (naturally) share your enthusiasm for the Mason & Hamlin. When you're shopping I'd encourage you to also look at pianos that are slightly (maybe even moderately) above your budget, for a couple of reasons: (a) the sticker prices, as I'm sure you know, tend to be highly inflated, so the actual selling price will often be much lower; (b) the recession has hit piano retailers particularly hard, and you may be able to get a much better deal on a grand than you dreamed possible; and (c) many of us revised our budgets upwards after shopping for a while.

P
P
Matteo, I would like to get the chance to help you. We have technicians on hand to answer any questions you may have. We can even send a tech to look at a used piano from a private sale or another dealer...

Jim Calvert
Fort Bend Music Center - Houston,TX
Kawai and Shigeru Kawai dealer
jim@ftbendmusic.com
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Monica, no, you aren't nosy... my budget would be around 20K by the end of this year... or 30ish waiting next may....
I'd really like to put my hands on a M&H ( I "touched" the concert grand and I was in heaven... I'd be happy with a good 6 footer ) laugh

If your budget is in the $30K-ish range, a new M&H A is definitely within your grasp. And at 5'8", it sounds better than a lot of the six footers out there.

...but it's early yet in your shopping. Keep looking and playing, and take good notes on the pianos you try. (I usually recommend creating a 'piano shopping template' with spaces to fill in listing things like brand, model, serial number, finish, and your impressions of the sound/action of each piano.)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry that I can't give you much advice on technicians or pianos, but welcome to the forum!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thanks for the welcome, I think "phase 1" of shopping for piano is done for me... now I KNOW I want it.

now I'll just put the hands back at work on Czerny, Bach and some Beethoven... maybe a little piece of Chopin just to have in memory (or I'll bring the sheets with me) and have a better idea playing....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
thanks for the welcome, I think "phase 1" of shopping for piano is done for me... now I KNOW I want it.

now I'll just put the hands back at work on Czerny, Bach and some Beethoven... maybe a little piece of Chopin just to have in memory (or I'll bring the sheets with me) and have a better idea playing....

Keep us updated on all the "phases"! Sounds like fun! ha

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain

Keep us updated on all the "phases"! Sounds like fun! ha

Just adopted a 1984 kawai gs30.

Can't wait for the delivery.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
J
J
Welcome to the forum Ataru074 smile

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Your digital is an electronic emulation of a grand piano and is more than adequate for any playing, from jazz to concertos. I use a $600 Williams Overture digital, one of the cheapest digital consoles around, and it's okay for jazz improvisation and the biggest concertos. I have an expensive acoustic upright in storage that I bought in the early 1980's for ~$6000, a huge sum for an upright in those days; a similar model today would be in the ~$20,000 price range. I bought it thinking that having the best piano available would improve my playing, but I soon discovered I was badly mistaken; it didn't improve my playing one iota--you can't improve your playing by buying a more expensive piano. I don't even think of taking it out of storage because I consider the $600 Williams a better and more practical instrument overall.

You've making the common novice error of thinking that a more expensive piano will improve your playing. You've made a seemingly promising start with the digital and now you're thinking that if you just had an expensive "real" piano, you'd soon be tearing up the keys like a young Franz Liszt, but that's not possible. If you can't play something on your digital, you won't be able to play it on a $100,000 concert grand either. I would not recommend this purchase, particularly if you have to take out a loan for it, and if you live in an apt., condo, or townhouse, where the neighbors will soon be at your throat if you try to play an acoustic piano there.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
gyro... This might be only my 15th post but you smell either like a troll or a fool.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
gyro... This might be only my 15th post but you smell either like a troll or a fool.

You're a quick study Ataru74!. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your piano purchase.

Congratulations on your new-to-you Kawai semi-concert piano, Ataru074!!

And, for the record, I'm thinking my own playing has improved since I got my Yamaha C7!! And, even if it hasn't it sure sounds better than before!! laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Ataru, welcome to the ABF forum. I hope you enjoy the discussions. For me, ABF has given me both friendship and encouragement to continue practicing:)

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys, I'll see if my GF subscribe because she's the real adult beginner and she'll need a lot of encouragement and motivation to go ahead... for me is just winning agains the frustration of "how it was" and "how it is now" :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission