2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (dorfmouse, dhts, Bett, Calavera, abwesend, earlofmar, 1957, Dore, EB5AGV, 6 invisible), 792 guests, and 477 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1718083 07/21/11 02:47 PM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hello,
It’s been a while since I posted anything. I hope everyone is doing well and having a great summer.
So....my teacher has me work on mostly on classical pieces. This is fine because I am learning a lot, reading, technique and so on. While I am pleased with my progress and I really like my teacher, I was feeling a little ho-hum about things.
Then one day I completely abandoned everything I was doing (well not entirely but that just sounded more dramatic) and pulled out some of my song books. I settled on Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos. I practiced it and decided to bring it with me to my next lesson. I told my teacher "I just had to play something I knew". She completely understood. She gave me some pointers and I left my lesson feeling rejuvenated. After working on the song for a bit I realized that it being ten pages long was a little too overwhelming for me at the moment since work has been very busy (filling in for a colleague and having to work overtime). So, I thought I would put that aside for the time being and find something a little shorter. I just wanted to play a song I know and like and not have it take a long time. So, I pulled out my books again and decided on a song called Alone by the band Heart. Not especially difficult but it is the first time I revisited the song since I have gotten better at reading music and I can definitely see the progress I have made. I practiced the song and brought it to my lesson. I explained to the teacher that I was feeling overwhelmed by the other piece and that's why I switched songs. She said that was a good idea and again gave me some pointers.
I still want to learn the classical songs my teacher gives me but now I am going to incorporate some more rock music into my lessons/practice since this is the kind of music I like. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner. I guess a part of me didn’t realize I was actually getting better so I didn’t really think about playing those songs. But this has sort of sparked something in me and I feel excited about playing again.
Anyone else out there like or play rock piano?
smokin

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Kymber #1718147 07/21/11 04:12 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually "rock piano" pretty accurately describes my goals. There is a little bit of classical I want to play but mainly I want pop and classic rock and most of the books I have are album songbooks. I have a decent collection of Beatles, Ben Folds, Billy Joel and Elton John that I can't play. My "bucket" piece would be "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding". When I was in high school my friend who had a piano had the music to "Alone" and was learning to play it when she moved.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
O
When you say "Rock Music" and I guess the particular songs you mentioned, are these arranged as the origial artist (Amos, Heart) played them?

Do you sing?

Kymber #1718209 07/21/11 05:29 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You mean like this...

Bob Segar's "Old time rock-n-roll" played on the piano by Rickster

Sorry, I couldn't resist. laugh

I like to play rock piano too... or at least try! laugh

Best regards,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Kymber #1718220 07/21/11 05:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kymber - That is pretty much all I play. I don't really like classical music or instrumental piano music that much (except for some of the music performed by the talented instrumentalist here on the ABF). When I decided to teach myself to play piano I figured I might as well learn to play only the music I like. That was my plan and I'm sticking to it.

I'd like to hear some of your pop/rock music. You should consider posting to the Piano Bar.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Kymber #1718293 07/21/11 08:00 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm rather rock oriented, but I still like learning some classical pieces. My musical taste is changing very rapidly now, I'm immersing myself in the masters of jazz/swing (don't know where one of those two genres end and the other begins, but it's my best guess the music I'm getting interested in is either of those or both.)

I'm talking about the music of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Marilyn Monroe etc. Written by Irving Berlin, Cole Porter and Jerome Kern to name a few. Often popular musical numbers.

I've gotten simplified versions of My Way, Can't Help Falling In Love and Moon River and had a lot of pleasure out of practising them. Also a few Beatles songs, Let It Be, Hey Jude and Imagine among them.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Kymber #1718314 07/21/11 08:55 PM
J
J
Although I'm still quite focused on acquiring proper technique and a solid theory foundation, which means at the moment also still playing relatively simple pieces and experimenting a lot, one of my musical goals is to be able to play prog rock and "groovy ambient" stuff. I do feel a strong pull toward the blues and jazz as I discover those genres too. That's a lot to eventually master, or at least become relatively competent at playing. I'll not have enough of this lifetime to cover it all!

I'm planning to start lessons with a teacher before the year ends, I hope to be able to find someone well versed in teaching rock, blues & jazz.

But you can guess where my heart is just by looking at my signature smile

Last edited by John_In_Montreal; 07/21/11 09:01 PM.

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,050
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission