2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I found a local dealer that carries Kawai DPs and asked them to quote the MP10 for me two weeks ago. A salesman made two phone calls to me. The first time the salesman told me it's 2500 CAD + tax including a stand and a bench, I complained about the tax and told him I'll think about it.

The second time the same saleman told me he talked to his manager and they might cover part of the tax. He also asked me to drop by the store today because both he and his manager would be there.

Today I took half day off travelled a long way to the store, only to find his manager wasn't there. The salesman told me they couldn't neither cover any tax, nor bring the price down. What was worse, they no longer offer the bench and the stand!

I'm not good at bargain. Is this a trick that dealers usually play? Should I still buy from them?

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
No, don't buy a thing from them.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
S
OP Offline
S
Can't believe they don't keep their word. They are the only official dealer of Kawai in BC.

E
E
Originally Posted by sinopiano
I'm not good at bargain. Is this a trick that dealers usually play? Should I still buy from them?

It is possible that he thought that if he had you travel all the way there you would feel compelled to buy.

Bargaining does work, especially if they think you are ready to buy and they believe that you have other options. You can call them and make a counteroffer. Just talk about the final (tax included price), start from what you consider fair and subtract 100-200 CAD, then let them pretend it is impossible for a bit.

Personally, after that stunt I would be sceptical about buying from them just in case their after sales service is like that too.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AlphaTerminus
Agreed.

Anyone can lie to me once.
They won't get a second chance.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Originally Posted by AlphaTerminus
Agreed.

Anyone can lie to me once.
They won't get a second chance.

+2

Stay away from that place.

Self taught adult beginner since September 2009 ( Man, I REALLY need a teacher ... )
Roland HP-305
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i agree that the tactics are deplorable- particularly since the USD has been weakening against the CAD this month (make that this decade- no wonder y'all are buying up all of arizona...). musiciansfriend.com lists MP10 at $2499 USD. exchange rate for is 1.04+ USD for CAD 1.0..so that's about CAD 2400?ish... musiciansfriend ships to Canada-why don't you see what you can do online?.. or work out the deal online and print it out and then call the idior err.. salesman back and make him match it. does Canada tax internet purchases?

main problem is the board is brand new and there isn't a lot of inventory out there yet - so its hard to have any leverage over someone who actually has one to sell

anyway, everything in life is negotiable.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
They sound terrible, the problem with Kawai is they have fewer dealers and if your local dealer is a bad one they have no incentive to improve because of the lack of competition.
I'd be looking to buy online, choose a store with a good return policy.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
What the salesman did was unethical and duplicitous. Don't reward bad behaviour by going back to him.

Perhaps Kawa James can suggest a remedy. I would look online if there really is no other Kawai dealer in the vicinity.

Originally Posted by 10fingers
Perhaps Kawa James can suggest a remedy.

This matter is between the customer and the dealer - I don't believe it's necessary for Kawai (either Japan or America) to get involved.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Today I took half day off travelled a long way to the store, only to find his manager wasn't there. The salesman told me they couldn't neither cover any tax, nor bring the price down. What was worse, they no longer offer the bench and the stand!

Some of Kawai's products are only sold by dealers. The MP10 is not one of those. So there is no reason to bother with those people. Buy it on-line and have it shipped to you.

That "I have to ask my manager" scam is the oldest salesman trick in the book. He knows perfectly well what he can do. But every used car salesman pulls it. The point is to make it seem like he is on your side.

M
M
I haven't bought a DP (yet...) but I HAVE bought a lot of acoustic guitars over the years - some of them in the $2000 range.

If that happened to me I would definitely buy from someplace else, wouldn't matter if I were after a $100 Ibanez or a $2000 Martin.

S
OP Offline
S
The salesman called me back, he said they will stay firmly on that price, and not offer the stand. He let me think about it and call them if I still wanna order from them.

I feel they do not care about this customer anymore.

I'll browse some online stores now

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ChrisA
[quote=sinopiano].....

That "I have to ask my manager" scam is the oldest salesman trick in the book. He knows perfectly well what he can do. But every used car salesman pulls it. The point is to make it seem like he is on your side.

its called "buying a car".

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX

You've got it. Do not patronize this business.

D
D
The salesman called me back, he said they will stay firmly on that price, and not offer the stand. He let me think about it and call them if I still wanna order from them.

I'll browse some online stores now

pfft I'd tell em where to stick his offer. Kraft gives ya a whole bundle of crap for a buck with their stuff.
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=8641

Granted it's not a great bench but at least it's something to sit on. It's not the internet and big chains that kill businesses. It's poor hire choices.

Wow, that's a great deal for just $1 extra.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your information! I'll contact them to see if they can make it shipped to Canada.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That is an excellent deal. I hope they can do that for you!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
S
OP Offline
S
Kraftmusic says they cannot do international business. I have no choice now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission