2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You are welcome musdan and others. Might I suggest that you send your nephew the www. address at the top of the page. That way he can see the pictures. I refer people to the thread this way.

There will be a splattering of other organs in other threads too.

I know that the Bluthner tour has been posted above. Here is my little version. And a big thanks to the folks at Bluthner for giving us such a warm welcome and tour. My only regret was not being able to play at the end. I just so hate many pianos being played at the same time. It does not do the piano justice, as well as, whomever is playing. I have played Bluthners before, both uprights and grands, so enjoyed seeing members delight in playing them.

It surprised me to find some factories in newer factory buildings (thinking old Europe)- both Bluthner and Bosies. Light and airy with many parts of the factories with open doors and windows.

[Linked Image]

Greeted by an American studying at Bluthner (working. She toured with us and was taking notes for future tours.

[Linked Image]

Dr. Christian Bluthner and Frank Baxter (Mr. PianoWorld)

[Linked Image]

We were greeted at 10 in the morning with champagne (well, maybe it was 11)! Nice beginning. And shown the showroom where two very old Bluthners reside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then off to the lumber yard and onto the tour.

Veneers - interesting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sandwiched layers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Strings being wound with copper and action work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most important work - filing, shaving, fitting and adjusting. (some one else best narrate) They employ greatly skilled artisans.

[Linked Image]

Love the old upright cabinet design. This was just sitting there, amongst the tour! Their new uprights are beautiful to play.

[Linked Image]

Mingling and playing in the showroom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This gorgeous hand rubbed beauty was much desired!

[Linked Image]

Thank you Dr. C

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wonder why the last two pics are not showing up - did the same routine.

I have posted a fun thread on WHAT WE HAD FOR BREAKFAST!

Not sure I need to post all the buffets here but will post a few for fun. Then if you want to see the other pics, please go over to WTF post. I know that i have FOODIES over there!!! LOL!

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2541089816

Apparently Germans and Austrians EAT A LOT FOR BREAKFAST.

I have never seen so much food in my life as what they put out in a spread for breakfasts in Europe. And why isn't everyone fat? I saw one guy putting away what I couldn't possibly eat all day in one breakfast sitting. It was like a 5 course meal!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then there was the whole egg thing. Scrambled, medium boiled presented on sand under cover (I thought that brilliant), and bacon, sausages (yes 's'), some kinds of potatoes etc.

The cheeses and cold cuts, sausages were great and the spreads of fruit like jams fantastic.

Cereals were usually different kinds of granola types.

OH, and mustnot forget the lox, herrin, and fresh fruits. And fresh crem (wet cheese).

Waffles, crepes, juices and champagne, and yes, strong coffee!

Gastrinomical, it was!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lilylady
I wonder why the last two pics are not showing up - did the same routine.

Apparently Germans and Austrians EAT A LOT FOR BREAKFAST.

I have never seen so much food in my life as what they put out in a spread for breakfasts in Europe. And why isn't everyone fat? I saw one guy putting away what I couldn't possibly eat all day in one breakfast sitting. It was like a 5 course meal!

Pictures probably didn't show up because you exceeded the limit for any one post.

Europeans tend not to be fat because they WALK Everywhere.
Plus they don't have a/c most places. So you either walk it off or sweat it off :-)

I lost over 10lbs on the trip :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh, OK Frank!

BTW, why didn't 'I' lose 10 lbs? LOL! Other than to the PO/Customs, I walked as much as ye!

I'll post those two missing pics from Bluthner here.

(darn, not moved nor deleted...will have to try again.)

Here are the two that I think were not shown.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Lilylady,

You take such great pictures with captions that tell the story - maybe photography is something you should do as a sideline.

I really enjoy "traveling" with all of you. Thanks so much.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Really great photos and stories, thanks to everybody for contributing...looks like a wonderful time.

The guy in black at Bosendorfer was Ferdinand Braeu, the Technical Director and great guy.

Also hope someone said hi to Robin, a friend from NY ( a very long time ago..she aged better than I have)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Robin was warm and friendly Eric. Engaging and entertaining. She is active on FB if you are over there. Her new book 'Waltz of the Asparagus People' just got a great review in International Piano NO.8 JULY/AUG 2011

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I posted another Countryside Scene, drool, drool, drool post a couple of days ago over on Well Tempered Forum

The trip to Vienna.

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6261051916

with a few enticing pics below.

I am finding it almost too overwhelming to post all pics at both places. Was using WTF as a test run with some pics that might not be of interest here to the piano group where I also share with my FB friends and family. I do some work with the pics (cropping, lightening etc) then need to post them on photobucket to share and then cut/paste into the post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am in love with the German Austrian countryside.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
OMG, I just have way to many pics to share of Vienna street scenes.

I'll share several here and then suggest again that you look at the 4 posts on WTF for a complete venue.

We started out at the Habsburg or Hofburg Imperial Palace. No wonder I am confused. That is bad enough, which is it? Oh, the Habsburg dynasty at the Hofburg Palace I see. (Good thing google helps). It is wandering and spread out with additions, courtyards, and passages and way too much history. And we entered through the back gates! All pics over there...

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/1011072916

On towards the Stephenplatz. A huge walking square and off the square are many sidestreets which captured my attention. So old, such small street streets. Don't fall asleep on me!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Side streets - I was amazed at how small they seemed in relation to the buildings. They begged a walk..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In the square

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
And on the way out of the square, another small interesting square which featured a Greek church.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Vienna would take a lifetime to explore.... lots more pics and areas coming.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting all these great pictures LL, much appreciated.
I don't think most people realized how much we were going to see and do, heck I didn't even realize how much we would get to see and do.

We have some more I'd like to get up soon. Right now we are in Orlando.

Came out last night, got up at 4:45 a.m. and drove to Titusville to watch the last shuttle launch.
Took us over 4 hours to cover the 45 miles, to watch about 10 seconds of the shuttle lifting into the sky.

Still, it was the last launch and worth the effort.

BTW, LL, if you don't mind I'd like to copy your pictures to our server so they don't get lost/deleted.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wandering around Salzburg

The name Salzburg means "Salt Castle". It derives its name from the barges carrying salt on the Salzach River, which were subject to a toll in the 8th century, as was customary for many communities and cities on European rivers.

You own salt (a preservative) you become wealthy.

Okie Dokie

To us Salzburg means Mozart's birthplace or the Sound of Music.

I was really looking forward to this small town but was rudely awakened to the 20th century when I arrived. Busy, people, expensive but let's first enjoy the arrival and Aldstat (old town).

First peek of Festung Hohensalzburg, the city's fortress, high up on the hillside. 1077 fortress. It continued to dominate most views in the city.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bus, of course could not go into the old town so we needed to hike.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At last a peek at the square - or at least the first one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From where we could get a good view of the fortress.

[Linked Image]

The squares seem to have some history about building 4 churches or squares around the churches in the ctr. I can't find reference to it online to confirm but we saw them!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Loved the carillon in this church

[Linked Image]

more...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The side streets have become my favorite walks, wherever we went. That to me, feels more like the history. Where people lived their lives, walked to the markets, the churches, participated in their every day lives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And yes the streets were crowded in old town, with the destination seeming to be Mozart's Birthplace.

[Linked Image]

Loved the colorful buildings and the high street signs hanging from wrought iron posts.

[Linked Image]

My 'artsy' shot

[Linked Image]

And there it is, right in the ctr -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mozart was born in the midst of this chaos! 2nd and 3rd floors and maybe the 4th? All I remember was climbing a lot of tight stairways and it was hot

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We stayed across the river - which had beautiful views of the city, both sides, the churches and the countryside

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one looking back over to where we were at the squares.

[Linked Image]

No, we didn't stay at the Sacher of Salzburg

[Linked Image]

but up a few streets, past another church with pleasant carillons to hear during the night and early morning!

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That evening we walked past Mirabell Gardens (another thread on that which I toured at 7AM)
http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/1381056816

and up to the Monk's Biergarten (another thread showed that too - spirits). All so enjoyable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lilylady; 07/11/11 06:39 AM.

I will agree with the others, lilylady, that you take some fantastic photos! The Salzburg fortress has some stunning views so hope you will later be able to return for a visit and some photos from the top!

As a side note I would like to share.... I spent last week in the Salzburg area countryside/mountains. I highly recommend that as well. It's a very inexpensive area with lots to see and do. And during this trip I bought...and wore...my first Dirndl dress smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you!

I would love to return. So much more to see, everywhere! What we saw was only the tip of the iceberg, but Guenther really knew some of the best places to show us! He was a fantastic guide and such a nice person as well. I hope he had a great time too. I miss him! It was so wonderful not to have to 'think' - just to follow his lead. ;-)

Please share PM some special places that you enjoyed tnew. And the pics of your drndl dress!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
While in Hamburg and not far from our hotel was the St. Michel (mi-chal) Cathedral. The largest in Hamburg. Protestant. The outside was, well, usual, tall, and brick, but oh the inside was so ethereal. It was also right across from that neat little ole restaurant which we retired to after our visit to the church.

Luckily we happened upon a rehearsal.

A few pics and then a short vid. Boy I wish others with better cameras would join in sharing the visits...

Archangel Michael slaying the devil was the theme outside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes that could mean 3 separate organs, or were some attached?

And then the short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgH2-EbxRBE

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lilylady loved listening to the player pianos, made me want to dance-which I love to do.

Thanks again for the "tour".

For you technophiles out there- I should know these things but I don't- how do I get my pix onto this website- and alternately- can I take these pictures off this website onto a file on my computer? Many thanks!!

qtpi
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission