2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 1903wrightflyer, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, butchkoch, audiophon, Andrew E., 12 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
From the very beginning of this latest foray into creating an internet space, I have been building my blog as if it were itself a work of art in progress, and that it would serve as a place where certain kinds of information was stored so that at any time one would just dive in and eventually read all the posts. I hope it works out that way.

Please leave comments.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I think blogs are narcissitic and no more interesting than tweets. 'Not going there.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Fine Deborah, perhaps others would disagree.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I do disagree. Blogs are meant to put thought into writing which is a useful process for the thinker. It also proves useful for many readers. In my own blog, I talk more often about my follies and failures than my successes at the piano. So I don't see how blogs are narcissistic. Anyway, your blog looks interesting, will take a look sometime.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I think blogs are narcissistic and no more interesting than tweets. 'Not going there.

Let me put it somewhere in between. smile

I think blogs have their purpose and are of interest to many people, but may not be particularly of interest to most people who post mainly on discussion boards -- like many of us here.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I think blogs are narcissitic and no more interesting than tweets. 'Not going there.

The term "blog" encompasses a WIDE variety of styles,themes and topics and to say that all "blogs are narcissistic" shows a complete misunderstanding of the term.
They are not simply "diaries" where people only talk about what they did that day, which seems to be the impression that you have.

For example I often read the "Bad Astronomy" blog which is a part of Discover magazine and it brings up various discoveries and issues in astronomy.
How anyone could think that this is "narcissistic" is beyond me.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff
The term "blog" encompasses a WIDE variety of styles,themes and topics and to say that all "blogs are narcissistic" shows a complete misunderstanding of the term. They are not simply "diaries" where people only talk about what they did that day, which seems to be the impression that you have.
You are right. That is the only kind of blog I have been exposed to. Pardon me.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The term "blog" encompasses a WIDE variety of styles,themes and topics and to say that all "blogs are narcissistic" shows a complete misunderstanding of the term. They are not simply "diaries" where people only talk about what they did that day, which seems to be the impression that you have.

No problem at all.
If it's any help, I agree with you completely when it comes to those types of blogs where people just wright about themselves.
Boring.

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 07/01/11 10:50 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Many many blogs ARE the kind you have come to dislike. However, all that a blog really is is a section of a website that has been made very easy for the owner to add new written material without having to re-build the whole website each time. Smart people can use them too. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
This thread has given me the opportunity to ask or imply some questions as, in my limited experience with blogs and bloggers, I have yet to fully understand their function or purpose. Perhaps some of you more familiar with the phenomenon can enlighten me.

The success of bloggers sites must, in part, be determined by the way in which they are organized. I have visited some, written by seemingly educated individuals that I see as displaying a random, disorganized, scattershot of their various and diverse interests. Perhaps some of those interests and comments on them may be of interest to me, but if there is no organization to the site, I'm not about to spend time scanning through pages of reflections on someone's personal and psychological challenges, Grandma Gertie's strawberry-rhubarb preserve recipes and anecdotes about the family cat to find that deeply buried but fascinating article about the vintage Chickering grand that was found in pristine condition in the neighborhood church's basement.

If blogs are the Internet equivalent of unorganized random thoughts about any number of topics of a varying degree of interest, if there is no "index" to the accumulating pages of writings, who would be attracted to them?

Even Mr. Burton's blog, which does have an index of sorts, has a "Home Page" that begins in medias res, as it were, with an article on his discovery of Lief Ove Andsnes, followed by writings on :
- an electric supercar
- a plaque on a bench in a park
- a film about Jelly Roll Morton
- "Why We Don't Have More Beethovens"
- a day in New York's Piano Row
- Sturm und Drang in Mozart

These are mostly music-related, admitted, but I'm still genuinely curious as to why these should be of interest to the general public, with what authority or skepticism they should be read when the writer is not necessarily a known quantity - no disrespect intended - and if it is also expected that the casual passer-by would scroll through this long home page to find what may interest him.

Are we, the uninitiated from the masses, expected to become faithful followers of certain bloggers, or do we randomly pick and choose when we have some free time to browse? How do we pick and choose, and if that is the modus operandi is it not discouraging for the blogger who writes not knowing that his writing is going to be read?

If a blogger, generally unknown to the public, does not have a pertinent bio on his blog with his credentials giving some kind of background who he is and adding, thereby, credence to his writings, why do we want to spend time reading his/her musings, opinions and observations? Or are bloggers writing for their friends whom they invite in the hopes that those friends will spread the word about the particular blog? Or are we expected, without foreknowledge, to randomly read through blogs until we find a kindred soul whose writings strike a chord in our own psyche? It seems that that would be the equivalent of the proverbial haystack needle search.

Sometimes context of a particular blog is missing, as in the interview(s) with David Burton on his blog, and that lack of context gives rise to as many questions as it may present answers or information : Why was Mr. Burton being interviewed, what was the occasion of the interview, who was the interviewer, why should the public - who may not know Mr. Burton - want to read his responses to an interviewer's questions?

There certainly appears to be some of what Deborah sees in the blogs she has visited in those that I have visited, randomly, of course. If, as liszt85 says : "Blogs are meant to put thought into writing which is a useful process for the thinker. It also proves useful for many readers." my responding question would be : "If putting into writing is an aid to the resolution of certain thought processes for the writer, why is it necessary to post those writings for the world to read? Why not just keep a personal diary for one's own reflection and edification?" It may be true that some readers may find those musings "helpful" (how, by the way?), but it again seems that the likelihood of finding "helpful" musings/reflections/thoughts from others is on a scale that would make the search extremely time-consuming and frequently unrewarding if not frustrating.

I used to read with some pleasure and respect David Burton's well-written contributions to the Piano Forum a few years ago; but his calling his own blog site a work of art does seem, at best, a bit premature - unless, of course, Mr. Burton and I have a different concept of what constitutes a work of art.

I would suggest to Mr. Burton, since he asks for suggestions, and to other bloggers as well, that a short "bio" giving whatever background might help give credibility to the contents of his blog would be welcomed by many a passer-by; knowing something about the author of the comments written and the recommendations made might encourage the reader to pursue the blog rather than passing over it.

Comments, explanations and elucidations welcome!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BruceD
If, as liszt85 says : "Blogs are meant to put thought into writing which is a useful process for the thinker. It also proves useful for many readers." my responding question would be : "If putting into writing is an aid to the resolution of certain thought processes for the writer, why is it necessary to post those writings for the world to read? Why not just keep a personal diary for one's own reflection and edification?" It may be true that some readers may find those musings "helpful" (how, by the way?), but it again seems that the likelihood of finding "helpful" musings/reflections/thoughts from others is on a scale that would make the search extremely time-consuming and frequently unrewarding if not frustrating.

The process of elucidation, like I said, can help both me and other people who are interested in the same topics as I am. The fact that 6-7 people have subscribed to my blog for example is proof of that. Why would anybody subscribe if they were not interested in the content? A couple of PW members (including one that I sparred with, Turandot) have told me that they found the stuff there interesting.

Maybe you and Deborah are just not used to reading blogs. I find many diverse things interesting. I sometimes read Physics blogs, Chess blogs, Music blogs (these are things that I do myself, so no surprise there) and I also read random biochemistry blogs, genetics blogs, etc. Some of them are very organized, some aren't. There's good information to be found in both kinds and I don't mind spending the time to parse all that. I'm sure there are others like me who find many diverse topics interesting. Reading blogs is a good way to find information in a condensed form rather than a scattered form such as on a forum. Blogs offer viewpoints of individuals (and a lot of them actually have background info about the writer. My first post on my blog provides background info on my musical experience so that people know what experience I bring in to my writing so that they can decide if they want to take me seriously or not), forums offer hundreds of different views on any single topic. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and there's useful information in both kinds of organizations of information.

I can go on and on about this but I hope that gives you some sense of what I mean when I say that I'm sure there are many people who find blogs interesting for the right reasons. Blogs (including blogs that mainly write about personal thoughts and experiences) aren't written because people are narcissistic. That is such a naive and uninformed view of things.

Last edited by liszt85; 07/02/11 02:09 AM.
I only visit two blogs and one of them is David's.

Bruce// blogs can be what the author wants them to be.

I started a blog to document our homebuilding progress. of little use to anyone, but we could refer people to a group of pictures

I know sick people who have blogs to document their unprogress for relatives.

I have chef friends who post their recipes

and I follow a fashion blog because I am a secret fashionista.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Thank you for those last two posts; they help clarify and confirm certain thoughts I had about blogs.

I can certainly see the interest in blogs that focus on a particular topic or area of specialization, and I can also see the limited but fairly obvious interest in blogs posted by family members for their relatives and friends.

Similarly, blogs written by known practitioners and experts in a given field would also attract interest of like-minded hobbyists and professionals. Otherwise, I don't know where one would find the time to randomly browse in the off chance that something of interest might surface in an unknown's writings.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The only reason to have a blog is to have a place where it's especially easy to add new items, which are catalogued automatically by date. It's different from a website, and using a blog means that one has chosen to jot down a quick piece of writing rather than spend time and effort indexing and organizing.

Analogy: There's a good reason that newspapers aren't bound and provided with an index and a bibliography. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
(For the above reason I would question the idea of blog as work of art. A work of art generally requires exactly the kind of care and attention that blogs are meant to eliminate from consideration.)

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by david_a
The only reason to have a blog is to have a place where it's especially easy to add new items, which are catalogued automatically by date. It's different from a website, and using a blog means that one has chosen to jot down a quick piece of writing rather than spend time and effort indexing and organizing.

Analogy: There's a good reason that newspapers aren't bound and provided with an index and a bibliography. smile

Any newspaper I have ever read is indeed indexed, not only generally, by section, (Arts, Sports, Life, Local News, International News, etc.) but also by subject, often on the first page.

I would call cataloguing by date a chronological listing rather than a cataloguing, but perhaps that's just a question of semantics. In one of my previous references I suggested that not knowing the contents of a blogger's increasingly lengthy pages on a website - pages which could be devoted to a myriad of subjects, related and unrelated - seems a deterrent for those seeking information rather than just idly browsing to see what might come up.

Maybe "time and effort indexing and organizing" would encourage readership, but perhaps bloggers aren't primarily interested in attracting readers. Then, why do they post?

I think it somewhat rare that a reader would consult a blog in order to read what Tom Smith had to say about anything on April 14, 2010 unless, of course, Tom Smith were an intimate of the reader or if Tom Smith were a known quantity on a given topic.

I'm still trying to understand the rationale behind this new foray into information overload from - sometimes - unknown sources.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Bruce, you just aren't frivolous enough, that's all! smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Web search engines index every word. I think blogs take advantage of that fact.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by david_a
Bruce, you just aren't frivolous enough, that's all! smile

Ain't that the truth! smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

Similarly, blogs written by known practitioners and experts in a given field would also attract interest of like-minded hobbyists and professionals.

PW seems like a multiple-participant blog to me, at times. Some people seem to treat it like a chat room, though, which is a bit different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano bench with lumbar support
by Andante Sostenuto - 10/19/21 07:15 AM
ES-520 vs ES-920 comparisons?
by rwc17 - 10/19/21 03:47 AM
New Yamaha CFX- Production voices
by newer player - 10/18/21 07:21 PM
What books do you use to teach music theory to beginners?
by chicagopiano1 - 10/18/21 06:13 PM
Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound
by Kend - 10/18/21 05:58 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,648
Posts3,140,604
Members103,054
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission