2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 540 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A tremendous achievement for me. I managed to sing in front of my teacher and one student today for the first time in my life without too much hesitation. When I was little I was a very good singer but gave up after some years because I was afraid to sing in front of people and my teachers were always giving me solos. On the other hand I didn't feel good singing only as a backup or only during the chorus of songs so I gave up completely. Nowadays I am about average and my range has become very limited due to lack of practice and because my voice has changed in puberty and nobody worked with me for years but with some work I'm sure I can at least work with whatever I have left and extend it a little bit. I realize now that there is nothing to be ashamed of and the voice is an instrument much like any other. I'm not embarrassed to play the piano, so why would I be when singing? laugh

Now to learn how to sight-sing before the exam in July...

Last edited by Teodor; 06/07/11 07:56 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Break a leg cas!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll be thinking about you today, Cheryl. Have fun!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Hey Teodor, that's great - I bet that in the future we will enjoy you singing and playing at the same time!!

Thanks Jotur and MaryBee! We'll be leaving home in about 2 hours. I found out I'm number 6 on the program ... I think there are about 20 participants, though I 'm not sure.

So far, I'm still feeling pretty calm...:) so far...!

I'll be back after the recital - but take note: I'm taking you all with me in spirit!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well you can hear my singing in the piano bar, don't know about playing yet at the same time laugh

Good luck on your recital! Have fun!

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link, Cheryl. I know you're going to have the crowd humming Chovan for the rest of the evening. Break a leg.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am learning to play The Entertainer. I can play the first 2 pages fairly well. I am working on page 3. Page 4 and 5 are similar to page 2. I am happy with my progress.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ta da! Check out my siggy smile

It went quite well. I did flub a bit, but no train wreck.

I made a few mistakes in Lilla, but managed to keep the flow going and ended coherently. In Gypsy Legend I actually managed to leave out several bars!!! Oh my!!! But , the notes I did play were all right lol.....and my husband said it all sounded very musical.

I was the only adult who played without music, and only one of the teens played without her music.

The audience was GREAT - so supportive! There were a few tense moments with a few of the performances and you could just feel the kind support flowing to the musicians!

My performance was fine. Not splendid, not horrible, but it WAS musical and I survived. I'm pretty content.

My hands were sweaty before I played (which has never happened before!) and they were shaking a bit towards the end of my second piece, not too badly, but a bit. However I managed to get through it and I enjoyed it.

I would do it again! smile

Thanks so much to all of you for your encouragement!!!!!!!!! heart

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Well done Cheryl ... but I don't see the grand on your signature yet!

I left some notes out of both of my pieces too. I also added some extra ones. I think it helps to improvise don't you?! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Well done Cheryl ... but I don't see the grand on your signature yet!

I left some notes out of both of my pieces too. I also added some extra ones. I think it helps to improvise don't you?! wink

Thanks Andy! Oh, yes, improvise ...right! That's what it is called. I didn't know I could do it!

re the siggy.....duh, I changed it and then forgot to save it!!!! argh... Now my grand is there smile smile smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
CONGRATULATIONS CHERYL!!! Sounds like a remarkably satisfying experience for you!!!!! And of course you played two pieces I love a lot. I am sure you were a hit!!!!! So happy for you!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, I see that you have been playing for only one year and half. It's impressive.

Congratulations for your success.

Last edited by Recaredo; 06/08/11 01:53 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Way to go, Cheryl. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know the sweaty, shaky hands syndrome laugh Congratulations.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Wow, Cheryl. What a milestone! Congratulations!!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone! It really was fun. I think some people were more nervous than I was, but NOBODY had a train wreck! I think our teacher really prepared us well (not just once we started talking about a recital, but right from the start).

What was really an extra dimension of fun was that several people played things that I've played at home and my husband enjoyed hearing them and recognizing them.

I know that it was a positive experience for all of us, and isn't that what it is all about?

There was one little girl - about 8, who convinced the teacher to play a duet with her. She was all dressed up in a blue velvet dress, a ribbon in her hair, patten-leather shoes and charming white ankle socks with lace. She was adorable, and she was the first to start clapping for each performer, and the last to stop. She just radiated joy.

ah, I'm still smiling!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ooohhhh, what a lovely image Cheryl. The little girl sounds darling and I especially appreciated the description of her clothing. My closest friends always comment upon how lucky I was that we had boys instead of girls. They suspect that I would have turned a little girl into a complete and utter "Fashionista." While doing so would certainly be inconsistent with my feminist sensibilities, I do have a very serious weakness for darling "little girl clothing."

Christine

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
There are few things more fun for a Mom, (or an Auntie like myself) than buying ultra-girlie dresses for the young ladies in the family.

I've managed to get some really spectacular sundresses for my nieces - some Italian, some French - and they are so pretty. One of my nieces is 17 and she refuses to get rid of some of the dresses I got her when she was 10!!! She just loves them.

I had a lesson this morning, as always, great fun - and we "debriefed" on the recital. My teacher said she'd really like to see more recitals - maybe 3 or 4 a year JUST FOR THE ADULT STUDENTS! I said I'd help organize them. smile

Maybe I'm nuts, but I want to do it again - and really, in a group of other beginners who've only been playing 2-4 years? That's just too perfect. Of course we can always invite one of the teens to give our audience a break and give us some inspiration smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know that kind of inspiration. Yesterday my teacher played some Rachmaninoff for me and it was more than good. I nearly fainted in pleasure hearing it in person... I see now how she got her performance art degree laugh

Anyway, my last recital for the season is tomorrow at some mall. They have a good grand in there, we'll see how it goes. Lately I've been nervous performing in front of people again but definitely not as much as before. It's just that I don't feel the music when I am not alone, it's something very intimate and I have to learn to express it when others are watching but it doesn't come yet. Personally I see this as an opportunity to gain valuable experience seeing as how I will be playing one of my exam pieces for a second time in a recital. By the time I get to the exam in July there should be no stage fright. I talked to my teacher and she said the only way for this to happen will be to perform hundreds of times. She claims that now she's got the opposite, she plays better for other people than at home because at home she can't be bothered to give it a 100% when she knows no one is listening.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/09/11 12:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
C
C
Whats got me excited is playing my beautiful lovely wonderful red piano(WOW)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Back from the recital. I got to play this beauty! It went wonderful. With some mistakes but I never stopped playing to think what's next. I just rolled with it and finished fine. After, a woman asked me if I was a student at the local music high school which I take as a compliment laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is one recording of a piece I liked:

I'll have the whole recital on a DVD soon, it was recorded professionally and will be much better than my cell phone recording up there. In fact you can see the camera guy in the recording, working his magic and being slightly annoying.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/11/11 10:33 AM.

[Linked Image]
Page 42 of 540 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission