2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I downloaded some Fake Book sheet music and need help with knowing what to do with my left hand. I can play the melody part but if I just play the chords at the top it sounds like it is missing something.

I've only been taking lessons for a month.I have a teacher and am using Piano Adventures for my lessons. I haven't gotten to the part where we put hands together, I am just needing more to practice.

Thanks

Started lessons 03/22/11
Kawai CN34 (Purchased 05/24/14)
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
You're asking how to do something harder than you can do, having never worked on it yet? If you can just add the blocked chords for now, that's a huge improvement on your playing ability.

The actual type of accompaniment would depend on what you want to do with the music as well as whether you'd be playing the melody solo in your right hand.

There really isn't an answer to your question.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think I'd agree that you should spend more than a month trying to get the hang of block chords, before moving on.

After you're comfortable, the next logical step would be to experiment with broken chords and inversions.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I just re-read your 1st post, well done!
If I am understanding you well, are you saying you can only play the melody with your right hand... OR you can only play the chords with your right hand (instead of the melody) but not the melody and chords together????

For instance, if you just play the chords at the top..it will sound like it is missing something..the melody.

Pick out a song with just three or four chords..simple ones like C,F, G,Dm or Am for example and try playing these with the left hand while you play the melody with your right.

Because you are not too familier with them,it may take time for you to rememeber where they change and where they change to in a song when you are busy playing the melody... but this will come with time and practise.
I don't see any problem with this interfering with your lessons any!! It's good to learn where common chords are in the left hand, and will only add to your total experience....
Hope this helps!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
P
OP Offline
P
I can play the melody with my right hand. But if I play the chords as indicated on the sheet music there are alot of places that I would only be playing the melody, Does that make sense? I think I'll just stick with playing the melody with my right hand and ask at my lesson Tuesday. I do think I'm trying to do something that is too difficult for me. We haven't even gotten in to playing chords.

Thanks

Started lessons 03/22/11
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ah. The chord names are usually at the beginning of the measure. You can play that chord as many times as you want during the measure. If you feel like it has 2 beats, play the chord twice, once on each beat. If it's got three, play it three times, once on each beat.

If there's 2 chords to the measure, play one of them on the first and/or second beat, and the other on the third and/or fourth beat.

There's lots of variations once you're used to that, but playing the chords on each beat is a time-honored way to get started.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Cathy, I'll try that

Started lessons 03/22/11
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoPraise
I think I'll just stick with playing the melody with my right hand and ask at my lesson Tuesday.

That's your best idea.

If you have a teacher, just do what the teacher suggests.

If you try to do other things you can develop bad habits.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission