2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
D
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders
As for working on sight reading, do you really need a teacher for that? Just get a book and read!! I mean, bring something once and have her give you points on how to go about it, but I wouldn't waste lesson time with that.

A teacher definitely helps make it more efficient and easier. But of course you don't 'need' a teacher to learn how to play the piano either. If I have someone who is doing hour lessons , I can have them sight 2 or 3 pieces in 15 minutes and give them instruction and what to think about - How to practice it at home , etc. It's a terrific skill that will provide compensation later in life if they accompany at all.

like I said, one set of instructions should cover it all. Unless it's a beginner or someone really bad. The only way to really learn to sight read is to just do it.

Sorry but I know differently. The second instructor I had is an absolute God at sight reading. He can open up concertos and sight read them perfectly. He also performed all of Beethovens sonatas a year ago. I asked him how he found time to practice .. he said studied them all a long time ago but he just read from the scores.

When I said 15 minutes I mean every lesson. Not just one time.

D
D
The equivalence of saying 'to just do it' to learn how to sight read is like saying 'just do it' when you are learning technique. There is a proper way to develop the skills and also an improper way that causes terribly bad habits and tension , inefficiency. One of these days I may make a thread about how to sight read properly with some videos , but I'm way too busy with other things right now.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As for working on sight reading, do you really need a teacher for that? Just get a book and read!! I mean, bring something once and have her give you points on how to go about it, but I wouldn't waste lesson time with that.

A teacher definitely helps make it more efficient and easier. But of course you don't 'need' a teacher to learn how to play the piano either. If I have someone who is doing hour lessons , I can have them sight 2 or 3 pieces in 15 minutes and give them instruction and what to think about - How to practice it at home , etc. It's a terrific skill that will provide compensation later in life if they accompany at all.

like I said, one set of instructions should cover it all. Unless it's a beginner or someone really bad. The only way to really learn to sight read is to just do it.

Sorry but I know differently. The second instructor I had is an absolute God at sight reading. He can open up concertos and sight read them perfectly. He also performed all of Beethovens sonatas a year ago. I asked him how he found time to practice .. he said studied them all a long time ago but he just read from the scores.

I have never brought sight reading to my lessons. I would rather get something more out of it, like music. We had a class in first year that entailed sight reading, but mostly it was just an hour a week to get together and read two piano stuff. The prof didn't say much, except give us music to read. Which you can do on your own time. I don't understand what your example has to do with anything?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
D

I have never brought sight reading to my lessons. I would rather get something more out of it, like music. We had a class in first year that entailed sight reading, but mostly it was just an hour a week to get together and read two piano stuff. The prof didn't say much, except give us music to read. Which you can do on your own time. I don't understand what your example has to do with anything?

Your professor was wasting your time apparently... because as you said you can just 'do it yourself'. Sorry to be so brash. Learning how to sight read is directly connected to musical studies. If learning how to perfectly read through a piece for the first time isn't 'music related' I don't know what that means then.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
If you want to call me your employee...fine, but don't ever do so within earshot or your employee will let you go (and there won't be any two week notice).

What's the big deal about "hiring" and "firing" a teacher? That's exactly what it is and there's nothing offensive about it. Sheesh, some people are way too sensitive... get some backbone.

My god, stores and Angelina disagree about something? How cosmically embarrassing.

Joking aside, I do wish that those who find nothing wrong with "firing" wouldn't accuse the rest of us of being too "sensitive". We're not being whiny and precious. We're sensitive to the shadings of a particular language issue, and sensitivity and nuance in the arts is a good thing.

Saying "you pay them so you can hire/fire them, and anyone feeling otherwise is being oversensitive" is in the same general category as "your fingers press down on keys, that's it, and anyone talking about 'colors' or 'artistry' is being oversensitive and artsy." I mean, the second one is way worse, but it's the same type of statement: I don't get the nuance, so there isn't one.

-Jason

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
.....I do wish that those who find nothing wrong with "firing" wouldn't accuse the rest of us of being too "sensitive". We're not being whiny and precious. We're sensitive to the shadings of a particular language issue, and sensitivity and nuance in the arts is a good thing....

I agree 100% -- in fact, I feel like I agree even more than that smile -- although with a little footnote.

I wonder if it's just what we're saying -- i.e. a thing that many of us are aware of but some just aren't -- or, differences of geography and/or generation that genuinely make the words lack those connotations and attitudes in some places and among some groups. It's hard for me to imagine, because I think it does imply a certain model of thinking about the role of the teacher -- and, in this case, I thought much about the original post besides those words seemed to underline that this does apply here -- but I can imagine that the words don't have the same implications in some places and some groups.

But to me, I cringed.

OP Offline
If you want to call me your employee...fine, but don't ever do so within earshot or your employee will let you go (and there won't be any two week notice).

What's the big deal about "hiring" and "firing" a teacher? That's exactly what it is and there's nothing offensive about it. Sheesh, some people are way too sensitive... get some backbone.

My god, stores and Angelina disagree about something? How cosmically embarrassing.

Joking aside, I do wish that those who find nothing wrong with "firing" wouldn't accuse the rest of us of being too "sensitive". We're not being whiny and precious. We're sensitive to the shadings of a particular language issue, and sensitivity and nuance in the arts is a good thing.

Saying "you pay them so you can hire/fire them, and anyone feeling otherwise is being oversensitive" is in the same general category as "your fingers press down on keys, that's it, and anyone talking about 'colors' or 'artistry' is being oversensitive and artsy." I mean, the second one is way worse, but it's the same type of statement: I don't get the nuance, so there isn't one.

-Jason

You're right, sensitivity and nuance in the arts is good, I agree. Except, we are talking about a business transaction. So in this case it's actually not the same type of statement. Business is more comparable to mathematics or science than art in my opinion. In these fields objectivity rules.

If we are talking about this as a language issue then I think interpretation can be subjective but what people who are in defense of the hiring/firing statement are saying is to try and take everything in context of what is being said. In this case, it is a far stretch to say that the comments are made in a derogatory fashion.

I think a better musical analogy is that of a specific sound taken in context. For example, let us take a random chord, say perhaps C major, and examine it. On it's own it's ambiguous, much like the words hiring/firing. However, placed in the context of a specific piece of music it will have a harmonious relationship with the other chords and this relationship may be consonant or dissonant depending on said context. What we have here is a case where some listeners think the chord belongs and other listeners think the chord doesn't. And that, is largely subjective.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Your professor was wasting your time apparently... because as you said you can just 'do it yourself'. Sorry to be so brash. Learning how to sight read is directly connected to musical studies. If learning how to perfectly read through a piece for the first time isn't 'music related' I don't know what that means then.

Oh, it was. We could have done the class by ourselves. But he got us to at least have regular meetings. Some people don't sight read at all.

And you don't sight read at a concert, right? That's why there are better things to cover in a lesson............. I know someone who learned how to sight read like a god because of an accompanying job - every Saturday he had to read string music (and tough too - Beethoven sonatas, Faure, reductions, you name it) in a 3 hour masterclass setting. He said it was all he needed to become good at it.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I find it interesting how the majority of this thread has become more about the use of a word rather than the intended discussion...what a digression!!! grin

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-Jason

We disagree about PLENTY of things... some very major things indeed =P

And it's not the same at all. How can you even use that comparison? One has to do with the essence of making music. The other one has to do with how you use a word - and in the end it means the same thing.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I know someone who learned how to sight read like a god because of an accompanying job - every Saturday he had to read string music (and tough too - Beethoven sonatas, Faure, reductions, you name it) in a 3 hour masterclass setting. He said it was all he needed to become good at it.

I have heard impressive stories about amazing sight readers also.

For some reason i have an odd infatuation with sight reading. Maybe i should strive to be an accompanist!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
I know someone who learned how to sight read like a god because of an accompanying job - every Saturday he had to read string music (and tough too - Beethoven sonatas, Faure, reductions, you name it) in a 3 hour masterclass setting. He said it was all he needed to become good at it.

For some reason i have an odd infatuation with sight reading. Maybe i should strive to be an accompanist!

Yeah it's a good asset to have!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Yeah it's a good asset to have!

I'm a pretty crap pianist so if i did become an accompanist at least the other performer would be able to make up for my mistakes.....

D
D

Oh, it was. We could have done the class by ourselves. But he got us to at least have regular meetings. Some people don't sight read at all.

And you don't sight read at a concert, right? That's why there are better things to cover in a lesson............. I know someone who learned how to sight read like a god because of an accompanying job - every Saturday he had to read string music (and tough too - Beethoven sonatas, Faure, reductions, you name it) in a 3 hour masterclass setting. He said it was all he needed to become good at it.

Actually I have sight read at concerts before ... If you call reading through a 200 page musical score a 'concert' , then yes I have done it.

I have also sight read hundreds of hymns , vocal accompaniment pieces and other musical scores for the first time during lessons and tech rehearsals.

The skill is a necessity for any accompanist. You don't have to spend as much time studying the pieces either if you can just play them by sight. It saves time and it is provides extra income.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

We disagree about PLENTY of things... some very major things indeed =P

Yep, we do!!! Of course, we only disagree when I'm right and she's wrong...=p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

... If you call reading through a 200 page musical score a 'concert' , then yes I have done it.

Were you playing those 200 pages?

Change your key already!!!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich
And it's not the same at all. How can you even use that comparison? One has to do with the essence of making music. The other one has to do with how you use a word - and in the end it means the same thing.

No, they don't really mean the exact same thing. There's
a difference betweeen them in connotation. Just as there's a difference between one person describing someone as "zaftig" and another person describing that same person "fat." Apparently some people are more sensitive to word coloration and tone and pitch and nuance and rhythm than others. All these are qualitites which apply as much to verbal expression as to musical expression. Words are to speech what notes are to music. Writers are also composers and poetry is literally a sort of verbal music. For those of us with the sensitivity to differentiate, the use of "firing" and "hiring"in the OP's first post simply struck sour notes.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
D
D

... If you call reading through a 200 page musical score a 'concert' , then yes I have done it.

Were you playing those 200 pages?

Change your key already!!!

Yes and it was absolutely exhilarating !!! I had a conductor and other instrumentalists that at least covered up a bit of my many mistakes smile

LoL at my key! I will get around to it eventually...

I find it interesting how the majority of this thread has become more about the use of a word rather than the intended discussion...what a digression!!! grin

No, it's about the attitude and view implied by the word.
Actually 2 words -- "hired" as much as "fired."

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

LoL at my key! I will get around to it eventually...

Umm, you do KNOW which key it is, yes?

♪ ≠ $

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission