2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (benj.ma, Bett, brdwyguy, anono89, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
In general, what things should I be doing, and how regularly?

M
M
yes.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Better than what? Better than whom?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wise Idiot

Three square meals a day, regular exercise, avoid tobacco products, and, of course, put in at least an hour a day of practice at the piano with full concentration.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Away from the piano:

Listen to lots of music. Get to know as much varied repertoire as you can. Familiarise yourself with all the different musical styles and the major composers of the past 3 centuries. Study their scores too, to better understand their compositional differences and influences. Read about music history, and understand the chronology of composers and their music, who influenced who, changing styles of interpretation and playing etc. Listen to lots of different interpretations and interpreters. Form your own opinions and tastes. Be open minded. Go to concerts. Not just of piano music but also of orchestral, chamber and vocal music, as well as jazz and popular music.

At the piano:

Become more regimented. Set yourself goals. Be strict with yourself with regards to times of day you practice, how long you practice for, warming up properly, taking regular breaks, not procrastinating etc. Look at how effectively you are using your time. Look at your posture and technique, is it completely relaxed? Are you using your body in the most effective way? Mirrors help with this I find. Challenge yourself with everything you play, even if you don't find a particular piece very challenging. Maintain a repertoire of easy, medium and hard pieces (relative to your current level) and find something in each one to improve and hence better yourself.

Practice when you are feeling alert and are able to concentrate. Don't practice when you feel tired or worn out. Eat properly, sleep properly, take regular exercise (I find a good swim before I practice makes the practice go a lot better).

Last edited by debrucey; 02/20/11 01:24 PM.
Originally Posted by Wise Idiot

Practicing and performing, as much as you can.

And getting involved in the local arts community - attend concerts, listen as much as you can and take advantage of everything your community has to offer. (The number of free/cheap concerts at colleges and universities is usually rather large, and they're often poorly attended by the community - I've never understood why.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Online Content
Originally Posted by Kreisler
(The number of free/cheap concerts at colleges and universities is usually rather large, and they're often poorly attended by the community - I've never understood why.)
I find this to be true even in Manhattan, with its several million residents, at places like Mannes. I'd have thought on the Upper West Side there would be enough people interested in free, high quality recitals/master classes, but sometimes they're very poorly attended.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
avoid tobacco products

Tell that to albeniz
[Linked Image]

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
(The number of free/cheap concerts at colleges and universities is usually rather large, and they're often poorly attended by the community - I've never understood why.)

Lack of publicity, parking, and access
(I also live in a college town.)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
avoid tobacco products

Tell that to albeniz
[Linked Image]

Imagine how much better a pianist he could have become if he'd ditched the stogies. grin

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Set yourself a weekly practice plan.
I send my pupils away with a homework sheet advising them what to practice and when, as this gives them something to work by.

I'd suggest practicing for at least 20 mins a day. And don't try and learn to many different things. This way you will learn what you are learning to a higher standard.

I'd suggest for example Mondays - practice one scale 5 times, then your piece of music for 15 mins e.t.c, and work out a plan like that.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
avoid tobacco products

Tell that to albeniz
[Linked Image]

Imagine how much better a pianist he could have become if he'd ditched the stogies. grin

Haha! But he looks so serene and carefree like that...i could almost hug him!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I would say that a good teacher and weekly lessons is probably the most important place to start. A teacher will be able to tailor the lessons to you, work with you on problem areas, motivate you and keep you on track. ( Of course, YOU have to put in the time with good practice. The best teacher I ever had liked to say that practice doesn't make perfect, but perfect practice can!)

Lee
L
L
I keep a notebook of ideas as well as just other musical things like chord progressions to popular songs (not just for piano) I've come across and am learning on youtube for instance. So I had started writing a list of things for myself to remember to incorporate into my playing and practice; only have a few on this list anyway up to now but they are;
'sing' while playing; this can really make quite a difference if you imagine you're singing the melody while playing it.
2)Play loud. I usually try and play rather softly; originally from not wanting to disturb the neighbors but with headphones it's not an issue and i've found that playing louder somehow give me more control over the piece eventually.
3)backwards practice. start from the last measure, then the last 2...
4)slowly...maybe even slower than that!
5) start working on the left hand first, practicing the piece at the beginning anyway.

not that these are my ideas but some I've heard here of course or gotten from books; a couple of books that I'm amazed by lately that i've gotten are The Musician's Way by Gerald Klickstein and The Piano Lessons book by Neil Miller.

seems like maybe more of an adult beginner question but that might just be me!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission