2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
W
Originally Posted by motif
the whole music is very visual art so I don't understand how musicians can't be into it...
It is enjoyed without using your sight, so I can't see how it is a visual art...

M
M
Originally Posted by beet31425
the whole music is very visual art so I don't understand how musicians can't be into it...

I've always thought it more auditory than visual, myself....

well, this is big misconception. Auditory organs serve only as a connectors or transmitters. The real music experience starts once it is in our head where it's painting all the colors and shapes.

The best example was Beethoven who didn't need hearing at all.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

I've always thought it more auditory than visual, myself....

well, this is big misconception. Auditory organs serve only as a connectors or transmitters. The real music experience starts once it is in our head where it's painting all the colors and shapes.

(Serves me right for engaging... frown )

Maybe for you. Maybe for Messiaen. Certainly not for me, and not for Beethoven just because you say so.

-J

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

If this were true, then Beethoven could have been deaf at birth and still produced his works. That notion seems rather ridiculous, though.

I can hear things in my mind as well, both when looking at a score and when composing, but that ability was developed by using my ears.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What happened to Percival of Dorset?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by Percival
Is anyone here into the visual arts, either as an appreciator or creator. Has anyone studied art?

Thanks.

Since you asked..... grin

While I've been involved in music my entire life, I've always appreciated the visual arts. During the last 15 years of my career as a government arts administrator I had the privilege of overseeing our city's Public Art Program. Public art involves working with professional artists, the community, politicians, engineers, architects, landscape architects, various government agencies and contractors/fabricators. The goal is to enhance the design of the city's infrastructure (bridges, plazas, streetscapes, public buildings, parks, canals, transit shelters, etc.) through the involvement of artists.

Here's a YouTube video highlighting one of our bridge projects. (I'm the gray haired guy in the blue suit and tie.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JVHWTexzs

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I continue to explore a variety of visual arts - including drawing, sculpture, photography and painting. Below is an example of one of many mandalas (circular design) i've painted over the years. The original of this piece is 5 inch square on watercolor paper. I use fine brushes and gouache paint (which is an opaque watercolor). I prefer to paint in an "abstract" style but also really enjoy doing these spontaneously designed and detailed mandalas.

Tomasino, your music stand is beautiful !

[Linked Image]

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Dara
I continue to explore a variety of visual arts - including drawing, sculpture, photography and painting. Below is an example of one of many mandalas (circular design) i've painted over the years. The original of this piece is 5 inch square on watercolor paper. I use fine brushes and gouache paint (which is an opaque watercolor). I prefer to paint in an "abstract" style but also really enjoy doing these spontaneously designed and detailed mandalas.

I like that mandala. On my end, it has the effect of being much larger than five inches.

I've played around with watercolors and acrylics over the years, but the results have usually been dismal. Recently I've been imagining some computer/inkjet things that may eventually see the light of day. There's a piece of inkjet art I did on my wall right now, but I don't really like it that much (which always a good reason to do something else). Way back when I was a teenager, I was into architecture and design, drew buildings and stuff, and I even thought I might find a career in that area, but it didn't happen (fool that I was at the time, I thought I should pursue music).

I still enjoy looking at buildings and interesting design, as well as art, but can't say I am terribly knowledgeable about any of it. But better something than nothing, and I have seen many pieces of art that affect me very strongly. I also love that effect that happens when you go to an art museum and look at a lot of wonderful art, and then, when you walk back onto the street, the world looks like a different place.

Online Content

Originally Posted by wr

I also love that effect that happens when you go to an art museum and look at a lot of wonderful art, and then, when you walk back onto the street, the world looks like a different place.

thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
M
ears are overrated.

[Linked Image]

Painting, sculpture, photography, writing, singing, dance, music......I like to view as well as do.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I did alot of drawing and painting in high school and majored in Art for part of my time in college. I've always had a particular interest in architecture. I used to draw little houses on little roads all the time. I still have some of the posterboard sized neighborhoods full of them packed away. When I was having trouble with getting started on piano I thought about giving it up and going back to drawing because it was "easier" (came naturally) for me but I decided I had wanted to play for too long and it was time to do it.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Any Leonardo Da Vinci here?

again, to be fully an artist you have to cover all senses,
not just ears.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission