2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi all,

Have a slight problem with my new Roland HP307 as the synthetic ivory surface on most of the middle range white keys (played most of course) has slight wear to them already! (had piano for only a few months when it started) you can feel the roughness if you run you fingers over keys and its a little off-putting whilst playing, but not enough for me to claim warranty and get a new piano. Its like the surface is wearing away slightly!

Was wondering if anyone has had this issue with the HP-307 or similar boards by Roland that use the synthetic ivory. I am sure I heard something like this happening with the older HP207, but that did not use synthetic ivory surfaces I thought.

Is this likely to get worse would anyone know? Like I said before, it does not really bother me and you cant notice it unless you look harder, main thing is you feel it alot.

Regards

Mark

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
This seems to be a common problem, as reported on these forums, not only on the older versions but on recent models from Roland with the ivory feel.

One example is here. But there are others if you care to search or look back.

Also on the just released 700NX! Here.

I think a call to Roland is in order as they must be aware of this as a problem.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 02/05/11 04:16 PM.
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
ah thanks for that, very helpful indeed.

V
V
does anyone know if this problem presents itself also on the FP-7F?

Roland FP-7F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm not calling anyone a liar or a corporate plant, but I can't help think that this is a great way to hurt Roland sales. Not that Roland hasn't set themselves up to a large degree, but the plural of anecdote isn't data, and for all we know rival corporations could be behind some of these reports. They tend to treat detailed information about products as some kind of trench warfare (which ironically can really impede consumers who need the info).

Though I will definitely scream and holler if our NX keys get weird. We just haven't used it enough to tell how they will hold up. Demo units in stores are probably a better example.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I wonder if the digital piano market is really big and interesting enough for such corporate trench warfare. It remains a niche market after all - couldn't imagine the stakes are so high that manufacturers hire people especially for such purpose. I could be wrong, but I just don't think it's like that.

Usually the negative and disappointed posts reach fora first and most. Perhaps people without complaints don't feel urged to post on a thread, whereas people who are discontent will. So the key is in the percentage of problems that occur compared to the total units sold an in use. I don't doubt that there are indeed people with key-wear problems (Roland) or quality control issues (Kawai / Casio), but in what ratio is unclear and as long as that remains unclear, it's very hard to judge these instruments on basis of these issues.

It would help if the companies themselves where more open in this and more communicative. It's in their own interest to diffuse such issues and make sure people can buy their instruments without doubts about (potential) quality issues.

Roland, Kawai, Casio.....anyone ??

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
HP-207 does in fact have the fake ivory surface. I had problems with the RD700-GX white key surfaces, and it was replaced. I have a friend that had a HP-307 that had similar problems, and it was replaced. This is most certainly a warranty issue. Some units are fine, some aren't. So it seems that everyone that has not experienced the problem thinks that those who have are making it up. That only adds to an already frustrating experience and reality. I am neither a liar, nor a corporate plant, thank you very much.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
Usually the negative and disappointed posts reach fora first and most. Perhaps people without complaints don't feel urged to post on a thread, whereas people who are discontent will.

This.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
I'm not calling anyone a liar or a corporate plant...

Sorry everyone, I was hoping my disclaimer was enough to keep anyone from taking it personally. I just finished the last book in the Philip K. Dick collection and his paranoia is contagious. smile

Like I said, I'll scream like a banshee if our NX keys start flaking. But who am I to you, and why should you believe me if I indeed do?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
I wonder if the digital piano market is really big and interesting enough for such corporate trench warfare.

It is. It happens. I'm not pointing to this or any other specific thread, but time spent in the Piano Forum has shown that sock puppets will show up even to affect the sale of an individual used acoustic piano. Planting seeds of FUD in a forum is easy because how often can a claim be disproved? A company wouldn't have to hire somebody. It doesn't require some big conspiracy. Any person who is also an employee could just spend time participating harmlessly for a while to get up a small post count (tracking forums is a good way to gain product knowledge), then occasionally sprinkle in a seed or start cheerleading another negative claim. It's easy to see how these snowball.

It happens.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programs. To the OP, usually the best place to go is to your manufacturer and warranty first. Then you can report your issue and how it was handled which is usually of greater interest to others.

Good luck.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
To Mwf,

I have a Hp-305 since October 2010 and in December, I have noticed key wear on some of the keys.

After reporting the problem to Roland Canada, it did not take long to have this problem fix.

A technician came to my place and replaced all the white keys, so do not hesitate and contact your local Roland office.

By the way, thanks to Roland for their excellent customer service. I did not know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised.

Regards

Self taught adult beginner since September 2009 ( Man, I REALLY need a teacher ... )
Roland HP-305
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'd also like to point out that all manufacturers "give" products to reviewers and performers. Part of this is win-win as people who want / need the products get them for free, and manufacturers get their products out there in the spotlight with big names playing them. Part of this is rather insidious though, as a gravy train can easily induce a subtle yet deep bias on the part of the receiver. The subtle part is probably the worst, as the receiver is then likely somewhat oblivious to their own bias. Doing favors for people is how we induce positive bias in others, but when an impersonal for-profit organization does it watch out.

Heck, just paling around with company reps can cause bias e.g. "gosh, they seem like a great bunch of guys, maybe I shouldn't come down too hard on their products".

M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
brilliant, thanks everyone. I may give Roland a call and see what they say, if they refuse to help me I may get annoyed and kick-off big time about it. If I can get a whole new set of keys then I may as well, piano will last longer then I guess.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
This seems to be a common problem, as reported on these forums, not only on the older versions but on recent models from Roland with the ivory feel.

One example is here. But there are others if you care to search or look back.

Also on the just released 700NX! Here.

I think a call to Roland is in order as they must be aware of this as a problem.

Just to clarify, since my statement in the RD700NX thread was cited as evidence against Roland here. My keys have NOT experienced key wear, beside of key dirt building issue. I have observed a RD700NX in Guiltar Center on display for more than a month, and the keys remain pristine.

B
B
Originally Posted by mwf
brilliant, thanks everyone. I may give Roland a call and see what they say, if they refuse to help me I may get annoyed and kick-off big time about it. If I can get a whole new set of keys then I may as well, piano will last longer then I guess.

You won't have any problems with Roland UK, they have superb onsite support and warranty and are certain to change your entire keybed.

B
B
Still waiting for my RD-700GX to come back from the repair shop and get all it's keys replaced. It's been 3 weeks frown

Last edited by blueston; 02/07/11 04:56 PM.
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
well I rang them this morning and they said they would call me back to arrange repair smile they were good I must admit, when I mentioned I thought it was a common issue with Roland pianos she just ignored me though.

I hope I dont have to some how arrange for it to be taken back to shop etc.. hopefully they just come out and repair there and then.

F
F
My Roland V Piano is showing clear wear on the keys too. It's not worn down as but it clearly shows visible wear on the top of the keys in a way that non of our other acoustic piano or DP have ever shown. I'm told that Roland will replace the keys - we'll see as I plan to call in the next few days. I do wonder if they will send people out of if they'll require that the huge V be shipped out.

F

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission