2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (anotherscott, antune, A. Lucato, adamcz, c++, brdwyguy, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 997 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TG32 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Looking to pick up my first pair.

Post your recommendations!

Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like my AKG 240's (55ohm) for sound and comfort.

Approx $100.

T
T
I just went through painful online research process, and finally ordered Sennheiser HD555 today.

Initially I was leaning towards HD595, since they have better reviews in general. But then I found a discussion online claiming that their internals are identical. There's even such thing as "HD555 modification" which consists of removing some little piece of material from inside of HD555 shells, after which they supposedly sound identical to more expensive 595's.

So dozens of true audiophiles spend weeks to decide whether 555 sounds the same as 595 or not... I knew there's no way I could hear these subtle differences! 555 should be enough for me.

Last edited by Tommy_P; 01/07/11 05:40 PM.
A
A
I have had my AKG 240 for something like 12 years now. They've started to wear a bit, but the sound is great. Also, they are very comfortable.

I would most likely go for AKG again if my 240s should break smile

However, you might want to try a few before buying. There is often a distinctly different sound between the different brands, even between similar models within the same brand there may be nuances that you may like or dislike smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tommy_P
So dozens of true audiophiles spend weeks to decide whether 555 sounds the same as 595 or not...

You lost me at "dozens of true audiophiles". wink

I own a pair of AKG K271 Studio (MKI) phones and would recommend them highly if you're looking for closed phones.

I also own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and while they sound pretty good for open phones, the left and right drivers seems to have some sonic differences (one seems brighter than the other) and the ear angle is non-adjustable which is kind of crazy. They're inexpensive though.

I use the Bowers & Wilkins P5, half open, extremely comfortable on the ear and the head ( New-Zealand sheep leather!!)
They're pretty heavy on the price though...
Sound is great, very open!

Last edited by vabejas; 01/07/11 07:05 PM.

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vabejas
E
E
I have UE SuperFi 5 Pro in-ear monitors which I love for a nice flat response, but IEMs give me ear fatigue after a while. For a longer and cozier listen, I reach for my Sony MDR7506 which I feel are the best cans around for under $100. The fact that they've been around for 10+ years says a lot.

2005 Perzina 129
Kawai MP5
Pianoteq/Kontakt
V
V
AKG701.

I do NOT recommend them.

They are good. Not great. They color the sound in someway. They are detailed but not accurate like some people had reviewed on various posts in headphone forums.

My Adam A7 studio monitors are more accurate.

I would like to try the 240 or 271.

It is so important to know the credentials of the reviewer of anything. Yes me included.

Are you looking for open cans, or closed? And do you want your headphones to need an amp to sound good, or will you also be using them for laptop/ipod/etc use?

T
TG32 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
my preference is closed (but open would be fine if the leaking sound is so minimal that it didn't disturb those around me).
I plan to use them on my DP exclusively. No plans to use for ipod or laptop.
also - i do not intend to use an amp.

i appreciate all the recommendations! thanks a lot and keep em coming!

Last edited by TG32; 01/07/11 08:50 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Bias Alert
!!I work for a family owned business, Equation Audio (www.equationaudio.com) and we manufacture and sell audio products so my answer will be biased!!

I use the RP-21 headphones. As an organization, we seem to get a ton of positive responses from these cans.

http://equationaudio.com/headphones/eartools-headphones.php?object=rp21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds033mDtMbw
Our company is about 8 years old now. We're in about 350 dealers around the country and 30 countries around the globe. We don't sell to the big box houses-just a strategic move we made early on. Nothing against the big chains, just prefer to deal with the mom and pop shops instead. If any of you have tried these, or do try these, I'd love to have your feed back, good or bad.

Last edited by PianoZac; 01/07/11 09:25 PM.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have the Bose QC15 headphones and they are great. The sound is much better than through the original speakers and better than the aftermarket monitors I bought. The noise cancellation works very well, and almost completely shuts out the noise from my furnace which is not far from the piano. They are very comfortable but a bit pricey. ($300.00)

Lee
J
J
I Have the Sennheiser HD600's. I love them.
They sound really detailled, open and honest to me. paid 220 euro's.
Good luck!

J
J
I have the AKG K240 Monitor (600 ohms) and really like the sound quality. The ONLY thing I'd change is the amount of juice it takes to drive them.

The true artist is not proud: he unfortunately sees that art has no limits; he feels darkly how far he is from the goal, and though he may be admired by others, he is sad not to have reached that point to which his better genius only appears as a distant, guiding sun.

- Ludwig van Beethoven
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I have the Shure SRH440. I can recommend them for below $100, or in UK below £80. Their only drawback is they are not comfortable over a long period of time, say 2 hours or more - so take a break.

I have the AKG K340. They are monsters to drive. I practically wire them directly to my speaker amp posts. Wonderfully warm and great highs. They are hard to find, though, since they are discontinued, and would require some modding to bring out their potentials.

D
D
I have shure e2c, I purchased them a few years back. After about a year and a half the sound started to cut out so I contacted shure, they sent me a prepaid shipping label and I sent them in. A few days later I received an email with the return item, they sent me a brand new pair. They have great sound, the cord is long and thick, very comfortable to wear (unless you wear them for more than an hour...feels like my inner ear starts to sweat or something...), and great customer support (only had one dealing, but was great), I would highly recommend.

http://youtu.be/lmk-y_9exJ8?hd=1

These are shures in the video, I didn't do this, but I have used those earplugs and they are comfortable to wear for long periods.

O
O
Originally Posted by V_Piano_Man
AKG701.

I do NOT recommend them.

They are good. Not great. They color the sound in someway. They are detailed but not accurate like some people had reviewed on various posts in headphone forums.

My Adam A7 studio monitors are more accurate.

I would like to try the 240 or 271.

It is so important to know the credentials of the reviewer of anything. Yes me included.

K701 are great cans when ran through a good amplifier like corda opera ( 1000 euro amplifier).

S
S
FIrstly, I better add a caveat as an I'm Audiophile so have spent far too long A and B testing various components, speakers, and cans - but not with my Pianos.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-A900's and love them. I think I paid about US$250 about 5 years ago.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=317

They're easy to drive, but I wouldn't call them "flat" in their response. They're an extremely pleasing sound to my ears (which is what it's all about really), but if you're needing "accuracy" that only a "flat response" gives, then I'd probably be looking elsewhere.

Being Closed, they enable me to really connect with my DP playing as I find background noises extremely distracting.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
S
S
A huge vote for the AKG k701. If you like a big sound stage and slightly enhanced presence then these are ideal. If you are a bass head then these are to be avoided. I love the detail I get when using these with Ivory. I run them from a mixer as a preamp as they need juice to sound good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,587
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission