2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I too occasionally hear phasing when listening with headphones. Is this not related to the stereo images of the two layered sounds?

Well, not necessarily, this also occurs when layering identical sounds, as indicated before. That's a unique CA93/CA63 feature by the way!

Originally Posted by Kawai James
And would independent finetune controls really helps things in such instances?

Yes, given that Kawai tuning is consistent over the whole dynamic range (ppp -> fff). As an analogy, you could just compare it to dedicated fine detune parameters for two oscillators and I'm sure you'll recognise the point made. wink
http://csound.noisepages.com/2010/10/detuned-oscillators/

Additional:
In general, layer dynamics works like a charm: please note that when playing pianissimo, the two layered sounds tend to be of more equal volume in many of my presets, compared to playing mezzoforte or fortissimo. That's why the pianissimo remark of CyberGene is correct.

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
James, thank you for your comments smile

Regarding the normalization - usually I am normalizing to -1dB, because I've noticed that 0dB leads to crackles with some audio cards (and/or headphones/speakers). This time I've forgotten and normalized again to the default 0dB and that could be part of the problem you mention.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, my speakers were crackling a little, now that you come to mention it...although this may also be because they're not terribly good quality.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I practiced it for about 2-3 hours and finally decided to record with the mentioned patch.

I like Chopin very much, but at first I thought: how did you manage to practice this particular piece (unknown to me) for hours without getting a nervous breakdown? shocked wink Then, after listening to it many more times, it really seems to grow on me too, becoming so deeply addictive and dramatic: great sound and playing style! thumb

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pinipon
just tried your latest settings for a little hour before the dinner, and I was very surprised with your SEMI-ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS R1.0: well resonance effect as an acoustic guitar, that makes an "envelop" for the bass and keep the rapid decay effect of the strings high freqs. The sound is very close to a semi acoustic guitar.
Once again, as anyone said before, your patch names are very "sexy" and I add: "realistic" - your SUPERTRAMP 'DREAMER' WURLITZER R1.0 is the right example of this !!! thumb

I'm expecting with lot of curiosity your C7 / RX-7 settings... I'm sure they will be gorgeous

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Pini! smile
Here's the one-and-only Yamaha C7 vs Kawai RX-7 shootout, check it out: cool

CLASSY YAMAHA C7 R1.0

Dual Voice: Concert Grand, volume 4 + Concert Grand 2, volume 6

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +1, mid -4, high -4

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow 1
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 10
2 - 3 String resonance: 10
2 - 4 Key off effect: 9
2 - 5 Touch: light
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Wide

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 8

Reverb: Hall 2

Effect: Delay 2, time 1, depth 6

---------------------------------------------------------------

CLASSY KAWAI RX-7 R1.0

Dual Voice: Concert Grand, volume 6 + Concert Grand 2, volume 4

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +2, mid -4, high -6

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow 2
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 10
2 - 4 Key off effect: 8
2 - 5 Touch: light

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 9

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 4

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Let's share another undocumented KAWAI CA93/CA63 feature: smile

ABOUT DUAL VOICE MODE NON-LINEARITY

With a linear DP (and dual voice mode support):
Voice 1 + Voice 2 = Voice 2 + Voice 1 = New Sound

Our CA93/CA63 is a non-linear DP, offering much more diversity*:
Voice 1 + Voice 2 = New Sound A
Voice 2 + Voice 1 = New Sound B

If you don't believe it, DIY! (make sure you have set Volume Balance = 5-5 and Layer Dynamics = 10 for unbiased results)

*) Voice 1 and 2 are even allowed to be of the same (e.g. Piano) Sound Group and Layer Dynamics can be used to timbre match these voices.

P
P
I wish you all a merry Christmas and don't forget to enjoy your wonderful CA93/63 instrument.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pinipon
I wish you all a merry Christmas and don't forget to enjoy your wonderful CA93/63 instrument.

Hear, hear! whistle

Public announcement: there's a (slightly delayed) Christmas gift upcoming in the form of a CA93/CA63 preset that can be directly compared with the sound of this software EX Grand by Lance Herring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_TSkkWxBs

Keywords: intimate pianissimos, thunderous fortissimos and great key-off resonances.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Allright, here's my much anticipated Christmas gift for you guys! wink smile

The below preset has been developed for direct comparison with the software EX Grand (a 17,49GB sample bank with no loops, recorded at 24Bits/48Khz): actually, I personally prefer this one with the heavy+ setting, yielding an intriguingly intimate and warm sound with unbelievable NICE !! pianissimo -> mezzoforte control (pump up your overall volume to really appreciate this). Enjoy!

TAKE THE EX TO THE MAX R1.0

Dual Voice: Concert Grand, volume 5 + Concert Grand 2, volume 5

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +3, mid -3, high +1

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: dynamic
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 8
2 - 4 Key off effect: 10
2 - 5 Touch: heavy+ (closed lid) / heavy (half open lid) / normal (no lid ;-)

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 10

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 4

Originally Posted by TADutchman

TAKE THE EX TO THE MAX R1.0

Thanks for your gift and you've found another nice name for this one TAD! thumb I'm hopping over to my (brand new) CA93 to give the new patch a spin. I'll be back with a comment later on, as well as with my personal top-8!

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vabejas
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vabejas
Thanks for your gift and you've found another nice name for this one TAD! thumb I'm hopping over to my (brand new) CA93 to give the new patch a spin. I'll be back with a comment later on, as well as with my personal top-8!

Great to hear! Quite curious what you'll come up with (as you may have discovered already, the CA93/CA63 have one more user memory space, so no worries if you happen to have a top-9)...

After playing my new CA93 for a couple of days now (love it!), here are my first (non-professional) impressions of the layered sounds (and I've tried them all! whistle ):
8 available spots are for sure not enough! There must be a 9th one somehow but I don't know how to store it.
BTW A nice trick with visitors: play your favourite piece on the standard grand piano sound and ask them if they like it: they all do (so far). Then play the opening bars of Rach's 2nd Concerto (that's all I can play from this piece btw sick ) with the Brutal Bösendorfer patch to make them fall of their chairs. whistle
In general I like 'heavy touch'.

My 8 spots are at the moment occupied with:

1. Steinway normal touch CA 93. For classical pieces this is by far my favourite. It has the most complex sound spectrum IMHO and gives you the opportunity to easily change colour, from angry to sweet, brilliant patch!
2. Bösendorfer. Impressive but difficult to play pianissimo with the light touch, not a very subtle patch IMHO, but still nice wink
3. Shigeru Kawai very wide-ranging, nice and clear piano sound, but again, difficult to play ppp.
4. The brand new EX to the Max very deep basses, nice discant (trebles), I use it with heavy, not heavy+ (too easy to play soft with that)
5. Red Piano Niiiice, I love playing Elton John, Billy Joel etc.... Put on some weird glasses and you're there. Great patch!
6. Supertramp 'Dreamer' Wurli sounds just like them yippie
7. Heavy amped Rhodes has cost me a glass already wow
8. Hollywood Strings play two quick notes (D & F for instance) in the basses and you have the 'Jaws' theme! eek

Seriously, this is impressive stuff and a great plus to the basic sound library of the CA63/93
I find this thread highly informative and amusing at the same time. May it long continue! thumb thumb TADUTCHMAN
If only I knew what stretch tuning does??? blush cool

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
After playing my new CA93 for a couple of days now (love it!), here are my first (non-professional) impressions of the layered sounds (and I've tried them all! whistle ):
...fulfilling all of the criteria as stated here at once:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1509389.html#Post1509389

Thanks a lot for your feedback, vabejas! If you want to save your user memory settings, just check out Chapter 10, page 53 of the user manual, it's quite easy (once you know it). Following in the footsteps of Pinipon, you are hereby the second CA93/CA63 owner to be promoted to:

Kawai CA93/CA63 custom presets reviewer thumb
That's some incredibly quick pioneering, having owned your CA93 for only a few days!

Seriously, this is impressive stuff and a great plus to the basic sound library of the CA63/93
I find this thread highly informative and amusing at the same time. May it long continue! thumb thumb TADUTCHMAN
If only I knew what stretch tuning does??? blush cool
Thanks again! Some related info on stretch tuning is given here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1534373.html#Post1534373
If I recall correctly, CyberGene also commented on stretch tuning in this thread.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Stretched tuning is basically a tuning where the highest notes are tuned slightly higher than the mathematical values and the lowest notes are similarly tuned slightly lower in order to compensate for certain string irregularities (where higher overtones are not an exact factor of the fundamental but get slightly higher) and thus provide better overtone matching which arguably creates better sounding intervals. You can easily hear the difference if you play simultaneously the middle C and one of the higher C-s or E-s (for a major third across octaves) and switching between wide and normal. Stretched tuning sounds more lively when playing solo piano but can cause you troubles when played in ensemble with other instruments because it's mainly string instruments that posses that irregularity.

In short: use stretched (wide) when playin solo and equal (normal) when playing with other instruments.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Thanks for your detailed explanation Cybergene, I'll try it out, still learning all this. wink

Kawai CA-93

If you want to save your user memory settings, just check out Chapter 10, page 53 of the user manual, it's quite easy (once you know it).

Thanks for that TAD, I'll check it out!

Kawai CA-93

Following in the footsteps of Pinipon, you are hereby the second CA93/CA63 owner to be promoted to:

Kawai CA93/CA63 custom presets reviewer thumb

Wow, really? blush I accept! laugh

Kawai CA-93

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
After seeing and hearing this guy live in Antwerp by coincidence yesterday, for a short moment I thought of the DIRTY UPRIGHT ROCK preset: wink

[Linked Image]

P
P
Hi TAD,

I like the C7 and RX-7 patches but the EX TO THE MAX R1.0 shocked wow is a really gorgeous sound thumb and goes directly to my favorites: I like to play it with half-open and open lid wink

P
P
(...) 8 available spots are for sure not enough! (...)

+1

I think all CA93/63 owners agree with that: an "USB Settings Loader" would be a very useful feature, brings an added value to the instrument and has been requested for several months ago whistle but unfortunately Kawai will not develop this feature frown maybe Kawai James could tell us something about it...

Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission