2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (Ampersand, Adypiano, 1957, barbaram, Alex C, Beemer, 17 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 554 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jophiel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all, I´m university student and now begins exams time and I have to learn all days and feel very bad, that I practise just 1 hour a day. Im preparing for recital in February. But I need more practise and have no time frown I need to pass exams...

What about you and your practise time? How many hours you can spend practising?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I wouldn't worry too much about it. This seems to be a common complaint at semester's end. I've worked as an adjunct at a couple of colleges, and if I needed to practice at this time of year, I would set my alarm 2 1/2 hours earlier for minimum playing maintenance. I don't recommend that for students once they have finished with juries.

The exams are more important for now, and one needs to be as rested as possible for them.

Chances are your professors aren't practicing either!

Piano instruction and performance
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I would try to squeeze in whatever you can, even if it's only another 15 minutes. But I agree with Gerard12, you've got to get through your exams. Study for them and just maintain piano. You have what, a week or so to go? Then you can focus on piano.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Working full time with a family and a house to maintain makes it hard for me to find time to practice. I do the best I can. Sometimes I'm just too tired but most day's I get in an hour or two,(if I'm lucky). I indulge more on weekends. The only time I can practice to my heart's content is in the summer because I teach 10 months of the year.

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I know how you feel. I have all kinds of deadlines coming (concerts and an audition), and half of my rep feels incredibly shaky. Yet I have to study for a 3 hour English exam tomorrow........

I can mostly squeeze in 4-5 hours, on a good day, 1-2 on a bad day. Like today will be a bad day. Christmas shopping (inevitable), dress rehearsal, have to accompany a choir for a concert. And I guess at some point look at the music for the concert. Arghhhhhhhhh.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
In a word- no. I work part-time, and have had more time since my youngest is in college, but I am happy with an hour a day.

qtpi
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Yes, I do; but why would anyone else care whether or not I have time to practice?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Do you hate every topic ever made, Bruce? Maybe it's time you just stopped reading the forum..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
E
E
I am a PhD student and up until this year I practiced every day religiously. Now I'm lucky if I even play at all!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ender Wiggin
I am a PhD student and up until this year I practiced every day religiously. Now I'm lucky if I even play at all!

This is my second year of grad school (PhD). I never "got the time" to play in my first year. I then prioritized. I now play 1-2 hours everyday. I mean, there are days when I don't get to play. So I probably play 3-4 days a week, 1-2 hours on an average. That's pretty good compared to the zero hours I was doing the previous year. With time (and when my research starts picking up), I hope to find more time for practice! I could not finish the movement of the sonata I'd promised to do for the Beethoven e-cital because the practice time I'm getting is obviously insufficient.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been skipping 3-4 days at a time these past two weeks, but now I'm more free. I generally get an average of 1-2 hours a day. It's not enough, but I can't justify putting off other priorities just so I can pursue my hobby more seriously.

M
M
I'm trying to practice as much as I can now, as I'm concerned about how much time I'll have to practice later in my life (that is based on all the adults I hear complaining about the little free time they have). If it's true, and I don't have enough time to practice, I'll be glad I practiced when I had time. If it isn't true, and I do have enough time to practice as an adult, well, I guess I won't be complaining wink

Anyway, sometimes I feel I don't have enough time to practice, but atm I'm doing my best to practice daily for at least 2h.

M
M

OT, I just started reading Ender's Game last night! Well, audio book so I can listen as I'm lying in bed. Don't want to take away from what little time and energy I have to practice! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Do you hate every topic ever made, Bruce? Maybe it's time you just stopped reading the forum..

Hate? Who said anything about hate? I simply asked why anyone who doesn't know me and knows virtually nothing about me would want to know if I have time to practice.

Why should you tell me what to do or not to do? In return, I have a suggestion, though : try the "ignore" feature and you won't even have to see when/if I post. That might help.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

OT, I just started reading Ender's Game last night! Well, audio book so I can listen as I'm lying in bed. Don't want to take away from what little time and energy I have to practice! smile

Ender's Game is one of my favorite science fiction books!

For people who really value reading, the piano/reading balance is always a struggle. I've tried audiobooks while playing the piano, but it takes too much concentration to follow an audio book. On the other hand, I do manage to take in some culture by listening to enlightening podcasts - especially the Jefferson Hour . I find with such programs that the pace of new information is slow enough that even if the discussion is quite stimulating, I still have all the concentration I need for piano practicing. If I'm doing a run through and all elements of musicality need to be at their peak, I'll of course only be doing that, but if I'm just learning new notes or working on fingering, I might listen to Jefferson as well.

Back on topic, no, I don't practice enough. Recently, I've been getting about 3 hours in 5 weekdays and about 6 hours per day on the weekends. If I optimized further, I could probably manage 2 hours every weekday also, but I DO have other important hobbies that I need to fit in as well.

C
C
Originally Posted by MarkH

For people who really value reading, the piano/reading balance is always a struggle. I've tried audiobooks while playing the piano, but it takes too much concentration to follow an audio book. On the other hand, I do manage to take in some culture by listening to enlightening podcasts - especially the Jefferson Hour . I find with such programs that the pace of new information is slow enough that even if the discussion is quite stimulating, I still have all the concentration I need for piano practicing. If I'm doing a run through and all elements of musicality need to be at their peak, I'll of course only be doing that, but if I'm just learning new notes or working on fingering, I might listen to Jefferson as well.

You could always do what Franz Liszt supposedly did: read while playing the piano. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkH
Years ago, I read it aloud to each of my boys with the goal of turning them on to reading. 1. it worked. 2. I've now read it 4 times,(a good book, but 3 times too many).

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Yes, I do; but why would anyone else care whether or not I have time to practice?

If another pianist has a regular practice schedule, and I read about it, that is inspiring, and in some way it helps me get off the couch when I feel lazy.

I don't need to personally know that person to be inspired by their story.

Piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I always try to find time for my music, even when I am sick.
At the moment I am not very well, so instead of 2 big sessions I have 4 small sessions because I need a break after an hour or so, but I still try to do what I have to do...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, I cannot imagine practicing while trying to listen to something else. As it is, I've recently hypothesized that my mind wanders a bit while I'm note-learning, and that this contributes to slow note-learning.

Deborah, now that you're an expert, can you explain to the rest of us what was up with the Giant's head in that video game? smile

-Jason

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Twisting dampers
by Mblight - 07/29/21 07:57 AM
RIP Anna Pavlovna Kantor
by pianoloverus - 07/29/21 07:43 AM
Tuning piano festivals/series
by jkess114 - 07/29/21 07:32 AM
Is this a scam?
by roy thompsett - 07/29/21 01:40 AM
What would pair well with a GL30?
by Tim_Noob - 07/28/21 08:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,271
Posts3,117,276
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission