2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (dima5222, Georg Z., Charles Cohen, Calavera, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

Since I've made my living by performing, you know, by playing in real time on a piano with real people listening - and paying to listen, somehow I thought that excluded me as being labeled a poser. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

well, people are paying for the dinner, music is just a background for better digestion... Have you ever played recital with 80% of your original material where people paid just for music???

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by motif

Since I've made my living by performing, you know, by playing in real time on a piano with real people listening - and paying to listen, somehow I thought that excluded me as being labeled a poser. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

well, people are paying for the dinner, music is just a background for better digestion... Have you ever played recital with 80% of your original material where people paid just for music???

motif, you know, you have a very quiet profile. It's so quiet that no one has heard you.

Please provide us with .... something.

motif, delirium, Robert Urban - where is your CV?, your mp3's?, your YouTube's? .... quiet, very quiet.

Again, as always, I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you. laugh

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
F
F
There are many classes of professionals and many classes of amateur. If the definitive definition is accepted to be separating those who make an income from performing (professional), and those who do not (amateur), these are my observations from my experience as an amateur, knowing a few professional classical pianists.

A professional will have every skill at a high level that amateurs may not have. These include sightreading, memorization, and a knowledge of a wide repertoire, among other things. The professional may not necessarily produce a better finished product than some amateurs, but he/she must have these skills. Many professionals also have a good organizational ability and a talent for self-promotion. If the professional is a soloist, they will need the requisite skills to play major repertoire. If the professional is mainly engaged in accompaniment, or possibly ensemble, he/she may be less capable than some amateurs in playing very virtuosic pieces.

Finally, the professional will have had the experience of performing starting as a child, even if only in small town recitals for a local teacher. This performance experience will, by the time he/she enters a professional career, set his skills on a different plane.

IMO musical sensitivity, "art," or other subjective measures have less to do with the distinction between amateur and professional than the skills that can be quantified.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
You guys sound like a bunch of immature middle school kids on the playground. Keep it up, it's hilarious to read though.

In response to the OPs question:

Pros get paid, amateurs don't. It's as simple as that.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Who are you talking to?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M

only counts who is laughing last.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by motif

only counts who is laughing last.

You provide us with proof that you actually can play and I'll take back everything I ever wrote about you.

You can't provide us with a small sample of ......... ANYTHING? smile ...... ANYTHING?

It doesn't even have to be a mp3, it can be a midi file that you can tweak, polish, and bring up to tempo. ANYTHING!

It's bad enough you hide behind various names, it's simply amusing how you continue to avoid providing us a sample of your creative mind.

ANYTHING? smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
M
Amateurs don't get paid for it. And perhaps if you can play well enough to be a professional then consecutively you become one.

Last edited by Peter Lockwood; 11/30/10 04:14 AM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
A professional has to produce the goods each and every time: unless you're already a big name (and even if you are) you're only as good as your last concert. Once the audience starts dwindling or you get bad reviews one after the other, the engagements dry up. And unless you're Michelangeli or Argerich, you can't just cancel because you don't like the hall or the piano or the weather or the smell of the audience or...

In other words, you have to be at the top of your form all the time, and never miss out on your practising. An amateur plays to suit himself; he doesn't have to please anyone else. Hence he can splatter wrong/missed notes all over the place (cf the quote I posted earlier) and only practise when he feels like it.

That's why very few amateurs ever reach the standard required of a professional.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Kawai CN29 or CN39
by Teresaw - 12/03/21 02:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission