2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (cygnusdei, Dfrankjazz, dima5222, Charles Cohen, Calavera, AprilE, 13 invisible), 1,048 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by apple*
Originally Posted by stores
You do it because the excitement of discovering something new with the turn of every page (even after playing for over 40 years) still drives you because you realise that this learning thing will NEVER EVER end!

it's wonderful isn't it?

-apple, definitely an amateur

smile
apple, I love your posts.. Gracious, brief and to the point.
I am most definitely an amateur, and I can pick the best of them in any crowd.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Amateurs either weren't successful at trying to be professionals or didn't want to be professionals. The average professional will be better than the average amateur, but of course there exists amateurs who are better than an average professional. A top level amateur is probably not as good as a top level professional. I would think of them as being overlapping distribution curves, with amateurs being more skewed towards the unskilled side and professionals skewed largely towards the skilled side.

Originally Posted by mps989
...My question is: can amateurs be anywhere close to pros? If not, what's the missing ingredient?...

The missing ingredient is enough time, energy and motivation to devote wholly to the instrument.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PlebiousPianist
Practice/practise follows the same rule as advice/advise in British English. "It is important to develop good practice habits when you practise."

End of OT grammar lesson. wink

That's the way I learned it, too. But in the US, not Britain.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Old Ed has been an annoyance long before now, but he's not a bad guy...

He has tried at least twice that I know of to intimate that kbk had an anti-Semitic intent for posting "Arbeit macht frei" in response to a Goethe quote (which was directly related in meaning to that phrase). These were both at times when kbk wasn't allowed to post responses. So I have to wonder a little about "Old Ed" and his position in the good/bad guy spectrum - attacking someone who can't respond, over something that is not even necessarily meant in the way he is taking it. Not to mention that right before the first instance, IIRC, the two of them had been tangling over unrelated stuff, which makes the motivation of smearing the defenseless kbk regarding the "Arbeit" post just a tad more questionable than it already was. Particularly since, ironically, "Old Ed" had to google the phrase before he could even get insulted by it, which says something about its actual importance to him.

M
mps989 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
the answers made me feel a lot better and feel like there's a point in practicing after all.

Or COURSE there's a point! You don't do it for money, fame, or whatever. You do it because you LOVE it so much you have no other choice. You do it because the passion inside of you won't allow you NOT TO. Now you won't always FEEL like practising, but that's not the point. You do it because the excitement of discovering something new with the turn of every page (even after playing for over 40 years) still drives you because you realise that this learning thing will NEVER EVER end!

Yea, I had a bad day yesterday (the piano wouldn't do what i wanted it to do...), but now I started a new Chopin Waltz and couldn't agree more with you ^^

Last edited by mps989; 11/28/10 04:09 AM.
M
M

Or COURSE there's a point! You don't do it for money, fame, or whatever. You do it because you LOVE it so much you have no other choice.

right, like e.g. Lady Gaga we do it because we love it and money, ego or fame doesn't matter...you wish...smokin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by motif

Or COURSE there's a point! You don't do it for money, fame, or whatever. You do it because you LOVE it so much you have no other choice.

right, like e.g. Lady Gaga we do it because we love it and money, ego or fame doesn't matter...you wish...smokin

You're a little more than odd...just sayin'. But it's not that "I wish"...if money, ego, or fame were my motivation I'd probably have either quit or done myself in many moons ago.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

But I think there may be a slight difference between people making deeper, complex, very emotion evoking art and being an entertainer controlled by the industry...

M
M
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

But I think there may be a slight difference between people making deeper, complex, very emotion evoking art and being an entertainer controlled by the industry...

I don't know, listen to Alejandro very nice melody that actually it could be theme to a piano concerto.
How do you define deeper or complex art?

[video:youtube]crYDOdZ2LC4[/video]

BTW I heard many nasty stories about hate, envy and unhealthy competition in classical, concert pianist world...so where is the love of what they're doing...

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It's the same thing that separates pro athletes from amateurs. Either you have it or you don't. While there may be some amateurs that can play as well as some professionals, a lot of luck also has to be factored in... like being born to parents who will help to nurture your abilities... having access to good teachers... knowing the right people to advance your career.. etc

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lingyis
what i'm more interested in... is whether, for a given piece, an amateur can play better than professionals.

perhaps even world-class professionals.

right now i tend to think it's possible, at least for less ambitious pieces. like, i imagine, many amateurs play "fur elise" better than professionals... i think many chopin waltzes and perhaps nocturnes are within reach for good amateurs.

gilbert kaplan, economist by trade, became the foremost authority on Mahler's 2nd symphony. the thing is, he's a one-trick pony--said symphony is the only piece he has ever conducted (at least up till a few years ago). so, at least when it comes to interpreting, "amateurs" can do better than professionals. but when there are such technical requirements at the piano, i wonder.

Why would you think that? all the skills that professionals work to develop apply just as much to "simple" pieces like "Fur Elise"-- phrasing, control over dynamics and rubato, tone coloration, interpretation. A great pianist can make a piece like Fur Elise sound as if you're hearing it for the first time, in ways you never may have thought about it. Listen to what Horowitz does for "Traumerei" compared to your average amateur.... there is no comparison.

Sophia

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
...the two of them had been tangling over unrelated stuff, which makes the motivation of smearing the defenseless kbk regarding the "Arbeit" post just a tad more questionable than it already was. Particularly since, ironically, "Old Ed" had to google the phrase before he could even get insulted by it, which says something about its actual importance to him.

Defenseless? Now that's really funny. FYI, he had ample opportunity to defend and/or explain himself but chose to remain silent - somewhat like what a martyr might do.

Of course I had to Google the phrase as I don't speak German. But after translating - discovered the meaning. You'd have to be really obtuse not to get the 'gist' of what he wrote. But maybe I am wrong. I don't know what he 'really' meant since he never explained himself. The door's still open for that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Originally Posted by wr
...the two of them had been tangling over unrelated stuff, which makes the motivation of smearing the defenseless kbk regarding the "Arbeit" post just a tad more questionable than it already was. Particularly since, ironically, "Old Ed" had to google the phrase before he could even get insulted by it, which says something about its actual importance to him.

Defenseless? Now that's really funny. FYI, he had ample opportunity to defend and/or explain himself but chose to remain silent - somewhat like what a martyr might do.

Of course I had to Google the phrase as I don't speak German. But after translating - discovered the meaning. You'd have to be really obtuse not to get the 'gist' of what he wrote. But maybe I am wrong. I don't know what he 'really' meant since he never explained himself. The door's still open for that.
Alright, I think I'm owed a chance to defend myself here. I got an email from a poster saying I was banned, it mentioned Ed, I emailed back - these are my actual words - "Ed's OK, he's got his own thing." Now is this something an Ed hating anti-semite would write? It's only later I discovered Ed had made all the fuss in the first place - obviously my opinion of him has changed! Of course Ed knows all this cause I emailed him during my banishment.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Never got an email from you klutz. Not saying you never sent one. I never recieved it. And it still doesn't explain why you wrote what you did in German.

Go back to the thread. Plenty worked that out. As for why I didn't respond - while you were posting your complaints it was 3am here. I was banned before I was even out of bed! (not the first time either)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jesu Christi! You two are STILL yapping about that crap? Ed, Klutz...LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Once you've been described as 'obnoxious' by a poster you kinda feel the need to clear your name. Anyway, it's gone!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Once you've been described as 'obnoxious' by a poster you kinda feel the need to clear your name. Anyway, it's gone!

Cmon man, you ARE obnoxious! That's not to say you don't have the right to BE obnoxious. =p

♪ ≠ $

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

Cmon man, you ARE obnoxious! That's not to say you don't have the right to BE obnoxious. =p
Cmon I don't think you have the right to call him that which I believe you did.

never taught a child who had poor technique, just poor practice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Inb4lock.

Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

Cmon I don't think you have the right to call him that which I believe you did.

Well, if he does, that really means something, haha!!

Jk stores wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Kawai CN29 or CN39
by Teresaw - 12/03/21 02:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission