2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Professional by definition is that they make they're money as a musician. Amateur by definition only means that they do something ELSE for a living.

"Practice" is correct spelling in American English, but I'm pretty "practise" is fine in England, kind of like "colour"/"color".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by motif
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

It really does seem that those who make the most noise have the quietest profiles. Why is that, you think? laugh

FYI, your profile is even more empty then mine, but you'll never understand this.

p.s.
you're not British , remember? or not...

motif, can't you read and comprehend? I didn't write what you ascribed to me.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
all answers read, I miss this: am's love the music, pro's live the music.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think a big problem with saying Pros live the music is it brings up to many philosophical arguments.

What about composers such as Schumann who wrote a lot, does this mean he was an amatuer?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Professionals get paid, do it for a living, so they are expected to have higher standards. What makes this even easier for professionals is that they have literally their whole lifetime to practice and improve. Amateurs mostly don't get paid, and only make their piano playing a part-time occupation,, thats why most people think they will never reach the same standards of a professional. But with a good mix of talent and hard work, I believe an amateur can also play at a 'professional' level.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

When it comes to the arts, most people have romanticized notions.

Just like any profession, you have those who live and breathe their work, others who are equally great and devoted to their craft but treat it like a job, and everything in between.

M
M

Just like any profession, you have those who live and breathe their work, others who are equally great and devoted to their craft but treat it like a job, and everything in between.

you cannot treat art as a job, once you do you're only craftsman not an artist, hence no better then pianola.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

you cannot treat art as a job, once you do you're only craftsman not an artist, hence no better then pianola.

Until you provide us with your art, you're just a poser.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
what i'm more interested in... is whether, for a given piece, an amateur can play better than professionals.

perhaps even world-class professionals.

right now i tend to think it's possible, at least for less ambitious pieces. like, i imagine, many amateurs play "fur elise" better than professionals... i think many chopin waltzes and perhaps nocturnes are within reach for good amateurs.

gilbert kaplan, economist by trade, became the foremost authority on Mahler's 2nd symphony. the thing is, he's a one-trick pony--said symphony is the only piece he has ever conducted (at least up till a few years ago). so, at least when it comes to interpreting, "amateurs" can do better than professionals. but when there are such technical requirements at the piano, i wonder.

Last edited by Lingyis; 11/26/10 06:55 PM.
M
M

I'd rather be poser then pianola.
whistle

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
There is no either-or in treating art like a job and treating it like something you love. If it is indeed your job, then it's always both, and the only question is "how much", not "if".

And a dedicated amateur could conceivably treat it LIKE his job, i.e. seriously and without excuses, even if it wasn't what people paid him to do.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Curious ... are all those Mp3's on your site covers Dave? If so, that ain't art either.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Let's please not get started on what's "art" and what isn't, because I may just throw my laptop out the window in rage this time.

(and I like my laptop)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss

Curious ... are all those Mp3's on your site covers Dave? If so, that ain't art either.

Oh wonderful, now I'm being critiqued by a New Age musician.

Create Your Own Beautiful New Age Piano Music Now ... Even If You've Never Touched A Keyboard In Your Life!

Easily SIGN UP NOW with Safe Secure PayPal!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I'd rather be poser then pianola.
whistle

Whatever you are, you are most definitely silent. (Of course I meant musically silent, not verbally silent. smile )

M
mps989 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was aware the first thing to come in mind would the payment issue, that's why I chose to ask "can amateurs be anywere close to pros" instead of "What's the dif between ams/pros". But the answers made me feel a lot better and feel like there's a point in practicing after all.

Last edited by mps989; 11/27/10 06:48 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mps989
the answers made me feel a lot better and feel like there's a point in practicing after all.

Or COURSE there's a point! You don't do it for money, fame, or whatever. You do it because you LOVE it so much you have no other choice. You do it because the passion inside of you won't allow you NOT TO. Now you won't always FEEL like practising, but that's not the point. You do it because the excitement of discovering something new with the turn of every page (even after playing for over 40 years) still drives you because you realise that this learning thing will NEVER EVER end!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Stores, don't be so romantic. Professional musicians practice even when they don't want to because they have very high standards. I won't accept a job when I come back from vacation since I'm not in shape. Being a professional musician is much like being a professional athlete. You're always in training.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Stores, don't be so romantic. Professional musicians practice even when they don't want to because they have very high standards. I won't accept a job when I come back from vacation since I'm not in shape. Being a professional musician is much like being a professional athlete. You're always in training.

Who's being romantic? I meant every word I said.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Well, he would know. wink

My teacher and my former teacher say the same thing, as well as the other professionals I meet/have met.

And yes, I practice even when I don't want to, but I find inspiration WHILE practicing and end the end, enjoy it like I did before!

For example (and even if this is off topic, I still want to share), if I need to practice Mozart but don't want to, I'll listen to one of his string quartets or something like that... Mozart gives me some unique feeling of joy and bliss, and when I hear it from his string quartets, it renews my inspiration and makes me want to produce that same feeling in the sonata I'm playing

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission