2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (Bodhis, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherpianoplayer, Chrisulrich, brdwyguy, bluebilly, Beemer, 12 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 551 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I made so many mistakes this might as well be a "Spot the wrong notes" exercise for a college course in Basic Musicianship...this was in front of many, many friends and people I know very well at the School of Music, too. frown

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good on you for posting it. I messed up majorly in a public performance last year and I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to the recording, lol.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Why did you choose to post it if had a lot of wrong notes?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/11/10 11:31 AM.
Yes, yes, we can hear the occasional clinker. I didn't have the score in front of me, so I may have missed some.

Like Bruce, I'm not sure what to say. I guess I really don't understand the overly self-deprecating approach to public posting. You're far from alone in saying, "oh, I messed up big time ... just listen to my awful playing .... woeful awful playing, don't you think!"

But in truth, I don't find this a very productive way to have a conversation. If you think your playing here is not representative, why post it publicly? If you yourself fully understand your errors, and know that they are just slips that aren't the norm, then what is to be gained by flogging yourself? View the video privately to learn from it.

On the other hand, if you want serious discussion of your approach to this piece, and to music more generally, then don't begin by drawing attention to potentially the wrong thing (little slips of the hand). Acknowledge the slips, but ask more specifically about what it is you want people here to focus on in order to help you.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"Disaster" is too strong a word, imo. It probably felt like a disaster, but it's really more like, "Maybe should have had Wheaties for breakfast today and put a banana on top."

I'm with debrucey. Good for you for posting it. It is what it is. (Or, it was what it was! grin ) My hat is off to you for forging ahead through the adversity and keeping it musical! You kept the flow and played expressively!

Chalk it up to experience, my man, put it behind you, and keep that piece ready to play at a moment's notice! laugh

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Also, what Piano*Dad said! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Online Content
My main suggestion would be to play it somewhat faster. I checked tht timing for several Youtube performances by "great pianists" and most were around 6:00.

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Like Bruce, I'm not sure what to say. I guess I really don't understand the overly self-deprecating approach to public posting. You're far from alone in saying, "oh, I messed up big time ... just listen to my awful playing .... woeful awful playing, don't you think!"

Well, the overly self-deprecating posts do seem like a standard PWF m.o. Based on my limited observations, I thought the canonical response usually goes something like: "if only I can have more of your disasters!" But perhaps that kind of adulation is only reserved for members of the PWF inner sanctum rather than forum newbies.

To the OP: despite the mistakes, I think you conveyed the mood well. I thought it had a nice flow and expressive dynamic contrasts. That nocturne is a lovely piece, and a few rough patches do not detract from the overall performance. I realize you must feel a bit disappointed with yourself, but I doubt your friends and others in the audience considered it a disaster.

If you are going to keep on working on the piece, I do agree with pianoloverus about speeding it up a bit.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for all the wonderful comments! I will consider my interpretation again. smile

P.S. Here's a better recording of that piece I did a couple weeks ago, done in a practice room:

Last edited by imperfection; 11/11/10 05:01 PM.
M
M
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you (imperfection).
I spotted 2 mistakes and you just kept playing like nothing happened. I'm not familiar with the piece you played, but I still think it was a rather succesful performance. I'm horrible at getting over my my own mistakes like you did, and that actually made the performance seem even better to me. And the most important thing is that it sounded very nice and pianistic.

B
BDB Offline
B
I advise people not to talk about their "mistakes" after a performance. The people who noticed them do not need to be reminded, and the people who did not do not need to know.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I advise people not to talk about their "mistakes" after a performance. The people who noticed them do not need to be reminded, and the people who did not do not need to know.

That's nice, BDB! I'm keeping that one!!! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by BDB

Fantastic advice. Thanks! laugh

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a scam?
by roy thompsett - 07/29/21 01:40 AM
What would pair well with a GL30?
by Tim_Noob - 07/28/21 08:26 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,268
Posts3,117,234
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission