2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btb
Thanks for that david,
Sorry to have bruised your mind .
smile Well, which is it? Are you in it for money, or are you just trying to get everyone to see it your way? Afraid to answer?

(I'm a piano teacher.)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Damon,

Your reference to MIDI format merely in terms of numbers ...
has me wondering whether the critical aspect ...
namely the SHAPE of music has filtered through ...
the advantage of the MIDI format is reading the score
in terms of OVERALL note patterns (not individual notes) .

The Toccata (opening 32 measures) is mostly a parallel octave
passage by the two hands ... at m28 the LH hammers out a
percussive A, alternating with a merry RH ascent and descent ...
having just played this stretch on my Grotrian Steinweg ... the
tricky bit was maintaining the flow at m31 where the motif
overlaps the percussive A (need to sharpen up that bit).

PS This piece is an excellent study for parallel hands.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Put a sock in it david,

You sport the typical materialistic know-it-all ... some of us have found Nirvana without the need to sell anything or play the Pied Piper ... I’ve got it all old chap!!

Your problem is that you have lost the challenge of adventure ... and from your high horse, prefer rather to snipe at outsiders.

Thus the bruised mind tag ... the chappie just can’t think outside the box.

PS Forgive me for looking back at those presently struggling to
read and play their keyboard music ... I’m fortunate to be able
to play any masterpiece (once transcribed like the Toccata)
prima vista ... some 1000 posted on my computer for instant
print and play.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
..... I’m fortunate to be able to play any masterpiece (once transcribed like the Toccata) prima vista ... some 1000 posted on my computer for instant print and play.

I realize your previous post was not directed to me, but it would be interesting to not only read the posts but hear from the posters as well.

I try my best to try and figure out which opinions have weight and which opinions should be ignored, but when profiles are empty, and there's a plethora of empty profiles, it makes it difficult to form any opinion based on any musical credentials. Am I conversing with a retired concert pianist who taught theory\comp at the local university or am I conversing with a 33 year old unemployed [fill in blank] who lives in the basement of mom and dad. You see what I mean?

Getting back to notation, it has been perfected over the last several centuries and I agree that any newly introduced system is a great way to separate money from the uninformed. I would even go further and state that those who develop those new systems haven't mastered the old system.

Sorry to intrude on a private\public spate. As you were. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Please read the profiles Dave .

T
T
Been thinking about this simplified notation and here are my thoughts for what they may be worth. I cannot find the previous threads on this topic via the search box, so perhaps all this has been said before.

Current conventional notation has evolved over several hundred years, with not much change in the last 300 or so. It's difficult to conceive of a more compact notation to capture all the attributes of a note to be performed, such as: key signature, time signature, duration, relationship to adjacent notes, accidentals, articulation, phrasing and dynamics, also instrument-specific attributes like fingering, pedalling, bowing, tongueing and so on.

All these attributes need to be very quickly assimilated in a performance context - in the space of tens of milliseconds per note perhaps for say masses of semiquavers in a Presto movement of a Baroque concerto like a Brandenburg. (Of course they will have been learnt before in practice and rehearsal).

The more complicated a single symbol is, the more brain activity is required to comprehend its meaning.

This new simplied notation removes only the separate accidental symbol by combining the accidental with the note-head that already represents duration. Thus the reader has to interpret two aspects of the note from the one symbol, whereas in conventional notation the accidental sign and duration shape are distinct symbols on the page. The information content of the simplified note and its equivalent conventionally notated form is the same. However, with two symbols as in conventional notation, the brain (so I think) has an easier job to do to assimilate the information and make the required actions to perform the note, especially at speed.

In chords and or clusters for keyboard players, I think this simplified notation makes for a fussier notation that is easier to mis-read and so is more liable to produce errors (thinking of the inner parts in say Brahms' piano works where there is often chromatic variation in the repetitions of a passage).

Thus I have come to the conclusion that the simplified notation actually is harder to read at speed or in bulk chords or both. Of course, familiarity gained through practice will iron out most difficulties anyway.

For single-note instruments there is probably not much difference - but not much of a gain either, so why bother?.

Non-playing readers such as students of theory wanting to determine the original spelling of a note from the "history" symbol have an extra step to work this out, so they certainly lose in this notation.

Perhaps a reader more knowledgeable in the psychology of the mental processes used in seeing and assimilating symbols could add some insights into these ideas.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The profiles I've seen say nothing of any substance.

No one uses their real name, there's no real e-mail address given, there's no web site, there's no link to any videos or performances of the individuals, .... but other than that, it's extremely informative. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
apple has kindly given us ... Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor ... in MIDI format ... (Music Animation Machine ... the SHAPE of music).

Even better ... here is the identical shape as a score (GRAPHIC MUSIC) which might amuse some ... the MIDI format accurately shows PITCH (vertically) and NOTE DURATION (horizontally) on a GRAND STAVE (6 octaves).

The page shows the first 32 measures of the Toccata ...
the shape and flow of Bach’s masterpiece ...
for easy comprehension and playing.

PS The concept might bruise a few minds.

[Linked Image]

i LOVE standard notation, but think I could get used to reading music in this format. It's easy to understand... totally

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btb

That was my introduction to the format. Several software upgrades later brought a sideways piano roll style editor similar to the one you print up (a little prettier, though whistle ). I became quite familiar with it but wouldn't want to learn a piece reading that way.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by btb

That was my introduction to the format. Several software upgrades later brought a sideways piano roll style editor similar to the one you print up (a little prettier, though whistle ). I became quite familiar with it but wouldn't want to learn a piece reading that way.

Actually I got that mixed up with Cubase. The graphic styled editor I originally used looked like this:

[Linked Image]
The vertical stems represented volume. (those were the days) The track on the bottom shows midi controllers that could be drawn. The three pedals in the case of piano, for instance.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
You want to see new notation, take a look at this ... the fun stuff starts at 1:05 ...

Just as a side note for anyone who is learning this and wants to play it like the composer, he groups the E and B in the left hand. laugh For practical folks that actually want to play this in a band, learn it with one hand so you can play the string part in the break before the last chorus, with your other hand. thumb

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Damon,

The Toccata (opening 32 measures) is mostly a parallel octave
passage by the two hands ... at m28 the LH hammers out a
percussive A, alternating with a merry RH ascent and descent ...
having just played this stretch on my Grotrian Steinweg ... the
tricky bit was maintaining the flow at m31 where the motif
overlaps the percussive A (need to sharpen up that bit).

PS This piece is an excellent study for parallel hands.

btb,
I am VERY interested in the graph you posted, having been a computer programmer for
most of my 40 years working life. In addition to what you mention, I would consider
it interesting in terms comparing performances. For example, how I play a certain
phrase vs some concert pianist who may play it with a beautiful, singing tone.
What does physically make the difference (note lengths, slightly different dynamic
on some of the notes, etc)?

How do you create the graph? Is it off-the-shelf software or did you program it yourself?

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Jose,

Your experiences as a computer programmer will have underlined the advantages of a graphic format ... however, it should be made clear that all that “beautiful singing tone” to which you allude is entirely in the hands of the pianist ... the rubato which Ashkenazy effects to a Chopin Nocturne will only effect the duration of notes (the horizontal component) ... the note pitch remains constant ... interestingly Bach WTC contains little rubato and both note pitch and duration remain constant.

Transcribing keyboard music into the MIDI format has been a labour of love over some 50 years ... the INTERNET era has provided a speeding up in transcription ... drawing tools prepare the framework (Grand Stave) upon which the notes are applied and linked to produce the SHAPE of music ... with the help of a sophisticated drawing programme called Caddie.

Hoping the info is of service to you.

Hi apple,
Glad to hear that you see some value in the MIDI of Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
btb I always enjoy looking at your midi scores. It's very cool to see familiar music this way. I've hinted before that you should do a quiz thread where you post a few of these without naming and ppl have to guess the piece by shape - that would be fun laugh

Is your source material a sound recording, or sheet music? From your post above i'm guessing sound recording?
Is it possible to read a piece that you haven't heard first, or is the rhythm too hard to guess unless it is rather simple or straight. Would love to hear your answers, thank you smile

Regarding the triangles for sharps etc, I quite like the idea myself but see that culture and history have too much weight for change to be likely, and it's pretty difficult to judge well when one has all the familiarity of a first language with traditional notation. I suspect a colour for flats and sharps system would be the easiest for a beginner to learn and these days this would be possible. Pretty sure I've seen this mentioned somewhere.

Some of my little students have come up with amazing possibilities for notating their first compositions. Sadly I am rather better at teaching reading these days so doesn't happen anymore. Their solutions for the problem of time are wonderful.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I liked your post Toastburn. Not so sure about ease and speed of reading, and impossible to really know because of years with old notation, but I suspect that I would be faster at seeing and understanding two aspects of one symbol than combining the info from 2 separate symbols.

Sometimes I have to stare quite hard at a chord to see how the sharps line up, and sometimes I mis-read it. I never got good at reading sharps and flats as a child - poor reader - so that may explain it.

I am also amazed at the density and complexity of trad. score notation. They are a truly amazing development that allowed symphonies to happen, and piano concerti. A miracle.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I don't really see how it simplifies anything. It's merely a different way of notation accidentals; everything else looks the same to me.

Exactly... One could as well write out all the flats and sharps in the traditional way instead of changing the shape of the note head... confused
I haven't looked at the link, but aaauugh, not the note-shape thing again! So hard on the eyes. I'd have to give up reading music if that were the only way.

There have been a number of threads on this in the past, if anyone's really interested. I won't say "do a search" because Mark_C will yell at me, but it's all there if you want to look for it.

I agree. smile Particularly for those who play several hours a day it is a terrible strain on the eyes. I think such "simplified" notation should be printed in large print.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Canonie,

To answer your queries and at the same time give you a MIDI puzzle to identify the composer and keyboard masterpiece ... here goes.

Once in MIDI format, any newly transcribed music becomes playable right away ... lots of the stuff downloaded from IMSLP for transcription doesn’t feature in my CD library ... it obviously helps the anticipation if one can recognize the “tune”... just played through this passage to get the feel ... the un poco mosso change of tempo (quick) at m14 takes
some adroit fingering, but provides a stunning contrast to the languid impressionism of the opening measures.

If you have not as yet tackled this gem, then you’re in for a treat.

[Linked Image]

J
OP Offline
J
I think you made it TOO easy, btb.

Debussy's Clair de lune, from Suite bergamasque.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh Darn it, saw ^ then went back and noticed the big clues. Somehow assumed it'd be something I don't know, but I could've got this one. Thanks for posting it btb.

Still don't understand whether the source material you feed in to get this graph is sound or trad notation?

For something you've never heard, how do you know the time signature? I'm assuming the vertical lines are barlines so maybe you don't need it?

Still think you should start a thread with a bunch of examples to guess with combination of easy and hard. If you would like to smile

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jose has an eye for the graphic ... so the Clair de Lune proved too easy ... the MIDI is the conversion from traditional notation ... a proportional representation of pitch and note duration.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission