2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (chrisb42, c++, Baltguy, David B, bsalad, accordeur, anotherscott, Asperatology, 9 invisible), 532 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1550284 11/03/10 06:04 PM
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've been lucky enough to play one some nice Grand Pianos of late (Piano meet ups at people houses) and I'm getting the serious itch to get into one now and upgrade the "Upright".

Only problem is my Knabe has such a deep base and rich tone, it will be hard to get something as good/better without spending silly money I don't have.

Anyone else getting the bug to upgrade? Go new, old?
- Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm actively looking, Steve. Got a line this week on a vintage M&H A. Seller is presently waiting to find a replacement before committing to sale. I'm also looking for that rich tone you describe.

Jim

Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Its All in the Game- KJarrett trans.
Gnossienne No1 E.Satie

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
I'm actively looking, Steve. Got a line this week on a vintage M&H A. Seller is presently waiting to find a replacement before committing to sale. I'm also looking for that rich tone you describe.
Jim

Good luck Jim thumb
Let us know how it goes. I'd love to get a hold of a nice older Knabe/Baldwin/other. Lifetime goal will be a 1970 Steinway or M&H but that'll be 2-3 steps away..
- Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
M
M
Wish I had room for one, Good luck to the both of you on the search.

Last edited by MartinJB; 11/03/10 06:43 PM.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."
Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
That's exactly how I feel. I love my Yamaha upright and my piano tuner also loves it.
I'd love a baby grand (concert grand would dominate the room and would be unaffordable for me).
How much better would a good baby grand sound than an excellent upright ?

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
That's exactly how I feel. I love my Yamaha upright and my piano tuner also loves it.
I'd love a baby grand (concert grand would dominate the room and would be unaffordable for me).
How much better would a good baby grand sound than an excellent upright ?

Not sure and is my (current) $1m question. I'd love to sample a good 6ft Knabe and see. My biggest issue at the moment is my upright has lots of sound and of course this kind of just bounces right back @ me from the wall (approx 1.5fists from it)

When I play on the 2 Yamaha Grands (both from this forum) the sound is of course much further away so it almost sounds smoother? Also this kind of co-insides with me hitting 40 and also being just over 2.5yrs of playing.

Although I'd love to be looking at grands in the 15-20k range that's just not going to happen. But I'd like to "maybe" explore ones in the 10-15k range, who knows.. (taps fingers on desk) smile
- Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I hate to break this to you, Steve, but you're doomed. The itching for a grand is only the first symptom of a full-fledged disorder that costs thousands of dollars to cure. grin

My advice is to start a very long, deliberate process of piano shopping. Read a couple of piano resource books (The Idiot's Guide to Buying an Acoustic Piano, and The Piano Buyer--available free online). Make a weekly habit of checking out the used pianos on Craigslist. If something pops up that seems like a deal too good to refuse, go out and look at it. Stop and visit all the piano stores in driving distance. Tell them right off the bat that you've just started searching and won't be buying for some months. The more pianos you try, and the greater the variety, the better handle you will have on your own preferences for tone and action. Take notes on everything you try and record serial numbers etc. for promising candidates.

With a $10-$15K budget, your best bet will be for a nice, gently used grand. Southern Calif. should have a steady supply of used grands on sale, so if you're patient, I'm guessing that something good will come along for you.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In the meantime, Steve (TTigg), c'mon over and try my piano. I work at home most of the time, so flexible schedule! Don't get spoiled though smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would only buy used (even though I bought mine new). I say this because buying used just makes SO much more sense in so many ways.

First off is cost savings. With the current market conditions, people are strapped. You could save a bundle on a gently used several year old piano.

Don't think of it as buying "used", but rather someone else took a huge depreciation hit for you and also pre stretched the strings, wore in the hammer felt and did all the break in maintenance and adjustments for you. The piano will actually now be more "stable" than if you were to buy it new.

What's not to love?....seriously.

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I hate to break this to you, Steve, but you're doomed. The itching for a grand is only the first symptom of a full-fledged disorder that costs thousands of dollars to cure. grin

LOL thanks Monica. Yeah I know it's going to be a long'sh itch and one that my not actually get scratched for some time. Well who am I kidding, I'm already eying up my bonus for January LOL..

Originally Posted by jazzwee
In the meantime, Steve, c'mon over and try my piano. I work at home most of the time, so flexible schedule! Don't get spoiled though smile

You're killing me here with this Hamburg temptation smile. I will be booking a couple of days off shortly to use them before loosing. That and I also have off the Monday following Thanksgiving (for my birthday) so maybe I can swing by and have a tinkle?

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
I would only buy used (even though I bought mine new). I say this because buying used just makes SO much more sense in so many ways.

First off is cost savings. With the current market conditions, people are strapped. You could save a bundle on a gently used several year old piano.

Don't think of it as buying "used", but rather someone else took a huge depreciation hit for you and also pre stretched the strings, wore in the hammer felt and did all the break in maintenance and adjustments for you. The piano will actually now be more "stable" than if you were to buy it new.

What's not to love?....seriously.

You are very right Mr. S&H. The other thing is that whatever I do I'll be doing within the confines of the dealer for sure. I know this limits my options and also means the pricing would be higher but this also means I'd get full trade in for my upright.

We'll see. maybe I can swing something in the middle step between my idea if it plays & sounds to my liking. Oh the happy days of Piano Journeys smile

Thanks all - keep the stories/suggestions coming..
- Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TTigg

Originally Posted by jazzwee
In the meantime, Steve, c'mon over and try my piano. I work at home most of the time, so flexible schedule! Don't get spoiled though smile

You're killing me here with this Hamburg temptation smile. I will be booking a couple of days off shortly to use them before loosing. That and I also have off the Monday following Thanksgiving (for my birthday) so maybe I can swing by and have a tinkle?

Absolutely! PM me for scheduling. Your birthday is good too.

Do I need to get it tuned first? It's behind schedule a little smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
You deserve the piano of your dreams with all the hard practice you do each day. Just take your time, there are some super deals out there and time is on your side.

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
You deserve the piano of your dreams with all the hard practice you do each day. Just take your time, there are some super deals out there and time is on your side.

Thanks Mark,
Indeed although I've got to get better at doing the "right" practice and not just the fun stuff smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Ttigg, I don't know if you read La Vega's thread over in the main forum (and that's something else you should start doing; browse the main forum regularly), but he (she?) made an excellent point that I will quote here:

Originally Posted by La Vega
I tried to keep as open a mind as possible, and sample every other high-end brand I could lay my fingers on. I played Steinway, Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Bechstein, Sauter, Steingraber, Estonia, Seiler and Blunther, as well as the Yamaha S-series. Rather than offering an exhaustive write-up of the competition, I’ll simply say there’s lots of good stuff out there! Pulling back from all the PW snipping and nit-picking about what the absolute best brand is, I think we’re living in a new Golden Age of high-end pianos, where the choices are far more diverse than 20 or 30 years ago, and the quality control is higher than ever. Combine that with the buyer’s market of the recession, and 2010 is arguably the best year in history to be shopping for a high-end grand. Yes, including the “vintage” era.

I agree with this 100%. It could well be that you will find outstanding deals on new or lightly used tier 1 grands now that you won't be able to find, oh, 3 or more years from now. (That's optimistically assuming that the worst of the financial situation is behind us. I realize that could be a horribly wrong assumption.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If your familiar with the Kondratieff long wave cycle, you will realize that the current economic "cycle" we are in is going to last a VERY long time..(a full generation).

Do as much research on "the Kondratieff" (several alternate spellings btw) as you can.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/gordon020310.html

There is a reason why your home assesment for 2011 and 2012 is MUCH lower than even today!

Here's another link..

http://financialsense.com/contributors/geir-solem/bonds-and-interest-rates?q=node/1394

Don't be stupid and bury your head in the sand. This stuff is real as in quantifiable

About 5 years ago, my mom gave me an older Cable console upright piano. That got me started/interested in learning to play the piano. After about a year or so, I wanted a better piano, and bought a nice Kohler& Campbell 46” studio upright off of Craigslist… it was a nice piano and had a richer tone than the Cable. Played it about year and wanted a better upright. I started looking at new ones and began noticing baby grands. I didn’t have room for a grand piano in my home without totally rearranging everything in my house.

So, I decided to enclose my attached carport just so I’d have room for a baby grand piano. I found a late 80’s 5’10” Japanese made Tokai baby grand that I could afford and I was thrilled with it! I played the Tokai about 3 years and decided I wanted a larger grand. I recently purchased an older Yamaha C7 semi-concert grand (7’6”) and I love it! It has a much bolder, richer tone and a deeper bass than the Tokai, though the Tokai sounded pretty good. I just sold the Tokai a few days ago. I had two grand pianos in my music room for a while. Nothing wrong with having two grands! grin

I suppose there is always a better piano to be had… just depends on how much money you want to spend. And, Mr. Super-Hunky is right; the pre-owned pianos are usually the better deal in terms of cost. A new Yamaha C7 cost about $40,000. I paid less than $10K for my used C7.

Best of luck to you!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I itch for a grand too, but I'm not serious enough about piano to justify getting one anytime soon. Plus, I don't think it would really make much of a difference to my playing. It might, and I would only be concerned if I were interested in playing professionally. A nice upright shouldn't hold anyone back except at a very high level of playing, but of course a grand may bring more enjoyment.

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Rickster,
Good points and a good story.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
I itch for a grand too, but I'm not serious enough about piano to justify getting one anytime soon. Plus, I don't think it would really make much of a difference to my playing. It might, and I would only be concerned if I were interested in playing professionally. A nice upright shouldn't hold anyone back except at a very high level of playing, but of course a grand may bring more enjoyment.

Yes, correct. My current upright is gorgeous, sounds wonderful and is certainly not holding me back at all. I just "want" the grand. The action is slightly different and I just love the allure of the instrument. It's easier for the wife to gaze at the action and the moment whilst playing etc.

We shall see what I can do over the next coming months etc.. thumb
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
I'm not here yet I plan to be in two years. I have always floundered with guitar, but love music so at the begining of the year I decided to try piano and have loved every moment of it. Man I wish I would have tried it when I was young instead of always revisiting guitar after growing tired of it, of and on through my life. But thats life. Anyways I have told myself that if I stick with piano for 3 years straight I'm buying a grand. I too have looked at new and used or pre-owned, lol, and the cost difference is huge. I'm glad to see it is recommended to purchase a gently used piano in here, as that is really all my budget can afford. Here's to the next two years and a new piano in two. smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Don't waste money on a grand just because it's a grand. Get a good one; wait if necessary.

There are lots and lots of shiny new grands out there that don't really play better than your upright.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission