2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
After much preparation, we are proud to present the latest Chopin E-cital. Please click on the image below to listen:

[Linked Image]

Greg needs a few days to upload all of the files into one big zip file. He'll inform us here when it is available.

Many thanks to all of the performers for their submissions, to Greg for his countless hours doing tech work behind the scenes, and to Mary-Rose for providing artwork and constant support.

What a wonderful tribute to dear Chopin. It's a privilege to be involved in such a worthwhile event. Enjoy!

Regards,
Heidi

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone involved in setting this up. I just finished listening to them all, it's been a real treat to hear everyone play!

PS:
I really like your signature Heidiv. smile

I'd like to echo AnotherSchmoe. I too had a real treat to hear everyone play and sing. I've finished listening to all recordings this morning, and I must confess, that I went straight to Mr. SH submission first =) It was a real treat, great job on the composition / improv Mr. SH, your piano sounds as powerful as you are too it seems.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Applause to all who participated! There is some wonderful playing here. I enjoyed listening to all of the pieces. Great voice Elene!
And to the poet of the piano... rest in peace my friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am listening right now and am impressed! thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'm highly impressed as well by all the contributing pianists. I'm sure there are scores of excellent pianists hanging around on these forums. I'm shooting for the Beethoven ecital next, will try to contribute one movement of a sonata.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the nice comments ab-ster. The "song" you are hearing as mentioned in your e-cital reply is actually simply the main melodic chords of Chopins piece played out into individual notes. Of course along with that is some original stuff too.

The most famous version of doing this is Barry Manilows "could it be magic?" which is a rip off of Chopins original score (Opus 28 n0 20). Donna Summer and others did it too.

It's kind of refreshing to see an artist take a piece, hack it up and somehow end up with something fresh and original that others appreciate as Manilows version was a chart topping hit it, so were the rest.

It was a lot of fun trying to work something out with the original melody. I now need to work on technique. Dynamics and such. I'm still a hack pounder but slowly improving at a pace of 2 steps forward, one step back. At best!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We lost our web connection for many hours yesterday evening and so I'm only getting to listen to this now! Thrills, here it is at last!

I was waiting with bated breath to hear what Mr S-H really was going to do with 28/20, and spookily enough, my daughter and I heard a French cover of "Could It Be Magic" last night in a creperie near here.

So no one did a video in a Speedo! Dang!

True, heartfelt thanks to everyone who was involved with this.

Elene

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ok, here's where the benefits of allowing a shameless self-promoting ego-pig into the group comes in.

This thread has fallen off the first page and there is just WAY too much beautiful music performed by all of our Chopin group members to fade away so quickly.

I'm not sure if everyone has had a listen to e-cital so I'm going to shamelessly bump it up again.

Note: if your a SUPER-dummy like me, you must click on the concrete chopin head to get into the recital performances. It took me several minutes to figure out how the heck to get in. Okay, so I'm a bit slow but others may be stumped too so now you know!

Please listen people, there is a LOT of great talent here. Nothing stuffy anywhere.....I checked!

One final note to Gerg (Greg). Thanks so much for the incredible amount of work it must have taken to pull this whole thing off. The amount of effort and dedication to this project must have been immense. Your hard work and effort have paid off well however by producing a very organized and proffessionally presented program.

Also, thanks for giving me the opportunity (finally) to perform a Chopin "inspired" piece. You must have been sweating bullets as you really had no idea what was coming. To be totally honest, I was 50/50 on a candlelit "Speedo" performance but I opted on the side of caution.....this time!

No guarrantees on future performances however.

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 10/18/10 03:10 PM.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I just finished listening and commenting on all the submissions.

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO !!!

Everyone performed magnificently! I enjoyed every second. You all deserve medals!

Also, very nice e-cital site and set-up.

[Linked Image] to you all!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Impressive recital, folks! And not just the playing; the recital website itself is great. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

The most famous version of doing this is Barry Manilows "could it be magic?" which is a rip off of Chopins original score (Opus 28 n0 20). Donna Summer and others did it too.

Ah, that's the one! Thanks! I am most familiar with the Donna Summer version but I guess Barry was the first to do it. In any case it's a great song and you did a great rendition of the piece!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You guys did fantastic! I just got done listening. smile You are all very good players of Chopin's works, and I can tell from your playing that you all "get" Chopin.

Oh, and here is Barry's "borrowed" Chopin score..LOL. I just had to look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xBG_d-_6bc

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I sure am glad we opened this up. Yes, we did get three e-minor valses, but each was well-played with its own flavor.

Thank you, Mr. S-H, for pressuring us to do this over the years!

It's much more fun.

Yes, we had a splendid e-cital with respectable participation all around.

Elene's lovely voice...

LisztAddict's control under pressure...

Heidi's expression...

A newcomer, Liszt85 making a splendid debut...

Everyone... My hat's off to all of you who make this both possible and fun! thumb

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I want to say THANK YOU to gerg for spending countless hours working to get the website up and running smoothly.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gerg
I sure am glad we opened this up. Yes, we did get three e-minor valses, but each was well-played with its own flavor.

Thank you, Mr. S-H, for pressuring us to do this over the years!

It's much more fun.

Yes, we had a splendid e-cital with respectable participation all around.

Elene's lovely voice...

LisztAddict's control under pressure...

Heidi's expression...

A newcomer, Liszt85 making a splendid debut...

Everyone... My hat's off to all of you who make this both possible and fun! thumb

gerg,
Thank you for your time and effort to provide such an eloquent format for the Chopin Recital. It was an honor to participate.

Gerg, I'd like to add my thanks for all the work you did in setting up such an efficient and beautiful website. Thanks also to the artists and other organizers.

It amazes me that a group of people from all corners of the world can get together and share music in this way. Thanks to all the participants - it was wonderful to listen to everyone. Thanks also to those who posted encouraging comments.

Caroline

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Mistaya

Gerg, I'd like to add my thanks for all the work you did in setting up such an efficient and beautiful website. Thanks also to the artists and other organizers.

It amazes me that a group of people from all corners of the world can get together and share music in this way. Thanks to all the participants - it was wonderful to listen to everyone. Thanks also to those who posted encouraging comments.

Caroline

+1. The effort that everybody put into this and all the encouragement I got from the kind people who posted comments makes me want to practice more and keep improving.. I'm sure that was the case for the other participants as well. Maybe we'll all one day meet and do a real recital wink. Who knows?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've been out of town so missed the initial presentation. In fact, not seeing it on the front page I assumed it had not been posted yet so thanks be to SH for bumping it.

Excellent playing from all I have listened to so far and I will echo the thanks to Gerg!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have to add... thanks to all that pointed out my "flub" in the waltz. smile It's supposed to say "A flat major", not E flat major". And I can't even blame this on my cats....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission