2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Snazzy if you're using the z-2300 do you turn off the internal speakers of your DP or you keep them on to give a better sound?

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fe2008
Snazzy if you're using the z-2300 do you turn off the internal speakers of your DP or you keep them on to give a better sound?

Actually, the speakers in the P-85 are automatically turned off when I use the headphone jack.

When playing the PSR-S910 arranger/workstation through the Logitech, I leave the speakers on...they are pretty good, and add to the sound, rather than take away from it.

The P-85's speakers are barely adequate on their own; hence using the Logitech.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
As i mentioned before, i recently purchased the LOGITECH Z-2300 2.1 set.

Installation was easy, on my Yamaha CLP-240 through the AUX OUT Left and Right plugs under the piano, so i didn't need one of the two available headphone plugs.

-First findings:

There was an annoying vibration in the subwoofer when i played several notes in the lowest octave of the piano.
It stopped when i pressed hard on the top of the box. So i did beat (softly!) with a rubber hammer on all sides of the box and on the metal frame. First the vibration sound was gone but it came back after a few minutes.
After 2 hours of playing it went away completely and stayed away.
So i don't know if the 'beating' was necessary or if it was just a matter of the of 'novelty' of the subwoofer?
Same problem with one of the satellites: there was a vibration and deformation of the A note (also called LA note in some countries like Belgium) of the fifth octave.
Again when i did hit the top and sides of the sattelite softly, it went away and stayed away after two hours. Now, two days later no more problems with vibrations or other unwanted noises.

-About the subwoofer:

GREAT! Nice, deep, warm, with that metallic sound of thick strings in it, real and powerfull bass of a grand piano like the accoustic KAWAI RX-3 i have my weekly lesson on.

I set the bass box to only 30%, this is enough for maximum realism in my 7 to 5 meter livingroom.

-And the Satellites:

THE GOOD: brighter, wider stereo effect and more detail in the sound than the CLP speakers who sound a bit more 'muffled'.

THE LESS GOOD: lacks some mid-tones, a little 'cold'.

Here the standard CLP-240 speakers (16 cm x 2 and 2.5 cm x2 at 40 Watt) are a little bit warmer with some more mid tones.

So i experimented a bit, and now i use them all together! :

-> Logitech Z-2300 volume at 40% with the Bass box at 30%
-> Yamaha piano volume at 50%

This makes the best of 2 worlds for me with now 7 speakers !.

I've read several reviews that claim that the KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 has better satellites because thy have two speakers in it: a tweeter and a midrange woofer in stead of the single aluminum phase plug driver of the Logitech giving some more midtones, BUT the bass box or subwoofer seems to be of a lesser quality than the one in the Logitech set.

Another possibility to improve further the sound, you find in the article sullivang mentioned before about a replacement of the satellites:

http://aussiegeeks.lefora.com/2008/10/18/cheap-easy-upgrade-for-the-logitech-z-2300s/

So for now i am very pleased with my setup, i now have very good sound, still not as perfect as with my SENNHEISER HD-595 headphones which i still find amazing, but it's very nice to play without headphones and still have that very good and realistic sound. Of course mostly when my neighbours are out, cause i live in an appartment!

Copilot smile

Last edited by Copilot; 04/16/10 01:22 PM.

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've bought this:

[Linked Image]

http://www.thonet-vander.com/en/parlantes-hoch.php I bought froma few reviews I found over the internet. I could not find the logitech here in my Country and these speakers (Thonet & Vander) was a good deal. They have 35w + 35w and are 2.0, but I think it will be a great improvement over my clp330 "muffled" speakers. Lets see... Will be delivered by next week...

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
fe2008,

If those speakers sound even half as good as they look, you're going to be in for a treat. grinyippie

Any idea what the frequency range is for them?

Snazzy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are the specs: http://www.thonet-vander.com/thonet_ale/hoch.html

Output power 70W RMS (35W+35W)
Frequency Response 20Hz-20KHz
Drivers' Size & Impedance subwoofer:5.25"3Ω20w*2 Tweeter:1"6Ω10W
Subwoofer 5.25" x2

If they improve the sound and sound better than my internal speakers I'll be more than happy.

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, 20Hz-20KHz looks pretty darn good...let's hope they sound as good as the specs indicate.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Were they expensive?

Snazzy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sure I'll post a review. Or not, just a picture of them in a trash can... LOL lets hope they're good. It's a german company, but I don't find a lot of info on the internet... Just a few spanish reviews (including at youtube).
They cost me R$ 460,00 (brazilian Reais) which is roughly USD250.00

Last edited by fe2008; 04/16/10 02:39 PM.

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's not too bad a price, especially if they live up to the specifications.

Snazzy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
yep. If I decided to import the z-2300 I would pay more than USD 600 including shipment and custom taxes.

Roland FP7F
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
20Hz-20KHz looks pretty darn good.
All speakers cover 20Hz-20kHz. In fact, all speakers cover 0 Hz to 20kHz. The spec means nothing unless accompanied by the test conditions and the response curve.

J
J
Specs are evil. I just want to hear the "soul" of the speakers. Then I know I'm in 3hearts

hahaha.....

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

https://vimeo.com/58278342
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
If you're talking about the z-2300 I'm sure you will more than satisfied. If you are talking about the speakers I've found, well, lets see if they perform as great as they seems...

Roland FP7F
After 5 days now, i finetuned my system a little bit further:

-> Logitech Z-2300 volume at 40% with the subwoofer now set at 25% instead of 30%
-> Yamaha piano volume still at 50%

I use now BRILLIANCE position: NORMAL/MELLOW in stead of the standard NORMAL position, this compensates for the a little bit to much brightness of the Logitech satellites and makes the sound a bit more mellow and warmer.
The Yamaha speakers volume at 50% is really a good solution for some more warm midtones and some more tones from the front/middle of the piano.

I like the setup more and more!

Copilot 3hearts

Last edited by Copilot; 04/18/10 03:52 AM.

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
H
H
Just got the Z-2300 setup today. Maybe I've just gotten used to the crappy onboard speakers of the P-85, but it seems like the sub is too powerful, even when it's turned all the way down. Right now I have the main volume at ~60%, the sub at 0%, and the yamaha p-85 volume at ~60%. I'll have to do some tweaking and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by homeslice; 04/19/10 11:27 PM.
W
W
Hi everyone! Do you think these will work well with a Roland HPi-7?

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Just one update about my speakers, well after searching in the internet I discovered it's actualy a cheap chinese brand trying to pass as a Germany company. LOL.
I asked for a refund and now I'm back to the zero square.

Roland FP7F
Homeslice, yes the sub is very powerfull.

Until now i used a very long cable i had from another stereoset, between the AUX LINE OUT of the piano and the Logitech set. It was a unnecessary long 10 meter (32 feet) cable which i now replaced for a 1.5 m (5 feet) one. It made a big difference in sound.
The sound is not to bright anymore and 'richer', some more midtones which is better, and i had to put the subwoofer to 0%, which is still enough bass.
I also went back to the BRILLIANCE: NORMAL position.

All depends also very much of the accoustics of the room you are playing in.
Placing the subwoofer in a corner and to close to the wall gives to much bass.
I have also placed a concrete brick between the sub and the wooden floor.

Copilot

Last edited by Copilot; 04/20/10 05:10 PM.

R
R
I have the 5.1 version of the Z-2300 speakers, the Z-5500. Would I be able to use these speakers on a digital piano, e.g Roland HP-307?

Thanks

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by me
I ended up ditching the Altecs and getting much larger bookshelf speakers, and a seperate subwoofer.

I've now ditched the bookshelf speakers and got proper speakers - a pair of used Samson Rubicon R8a powered monitors. I notice more midrange now, less boomy base, and no silly cabinet resonance any more. And for the first time ever, the attacks sound nice and crisp like they do over headphones. These things are seriously loud I think - much louder than I'll need at home. ;^) (I only have to breath on the volume control to get sufficient volume!)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 04/29/10 07:04 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission