2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, bilb, AaronSF, brdwyguy, BlakeOR, 17 invisible), 1,032 guests, and 513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello;

i am buying an upright piano possibly this week, and I have two good options. I would like to know some opinions about them. They go for about the same price, and they both are in "like new" condition, so I am left with the question: What it better regarding sound and playability? An Upright Yamaha U1 (48"?) Made in Japan, or a Steinway Essex EUP111 (that is 44")? I hope to get some insight from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Omar. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It all depends on what tone you prefer.

I think the Yamaha is a higher quality piano and better build, with Essex you pay for the Steinway connection but it is build in China. (not saying that Chinese pianos are bad!)

As you will be playing it for the next decade or more you should try to find out which one has the best tone and the nicest action to play on.

It doesn't hurt to play some other brands,makes you more aware of all the differences!

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
D
D
Hi Omar

I owned a Yamaha U1 until very recently. My experience was that I had to try a lot of U1s in order to find the one I wanted - many sounded too harsh or glassy and a few were actually too mellow. The one I did find however, was a really nice-sounding and playing instrument. So.. if you're going for the Yamaha, do shop around and try plenty of them. The U3 is a good option also, often not much difference in the price - but it just depends on the sound you prefer between the u1 and u3. The U1 does tend to have a good even touch which is nicely balanced.

I don't have experience with Essex pianos, but the point is that you are definitely going to need to give BOTH pianos a really good play before you can judge. I would say however that if Essex sound like Steinway pianos, there's a good chance you can expect a more complex sound than the Yamaha. But try both!

Not really an apples to apples comparison...if they are the same price, the U1 has got to be the choice!

Choleric
Yamaha CVP307 digital piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The different sizes should be rather noticeable in terms of bass response, volume, and smoothness between registers. In most cases that would give the U1 an advantage.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
B
B
You have to trust to your impressions about that two pianos. You will play the one you choose, so your opinion is the most important. Both pianos are good, just play them, feel them, listen to them, and make your own choice. Do not listen too much to another people. Pick the one you like better, and that is all. Good luck.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
4" on an upright is a pretty significant size difference. A strong majority of blindfolded players will prefer the presence and fullness of the larger instrument. The U1 has generally higher build quality. But the look of the console Essex may suit your taste better. A piano is an instrument & a furniture piece, so try to satisfy both of your wants. Most people need to be happy with the look to be really happy with the piano, whatever your preference.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
P
OP Offline
P
Hello guys... just want to say BIG THANK YOU for your time and advice. I am new to acoustic pianos and just trying to make a good decision. I can't try the pianos myself for where they are right now, but they both seem to be in very good condition with light use (maybe a bit more on the Yamaha), and I want the better sound indeed, with more bass and if it is loud and has a hard action I like that too. Anyways, your comments are very helpful and give more insight into my feelings about my new music companion. Bach bless you all smile

Sincerely:
Omar.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission