2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (AB Forum Recital, Animisha, CyberGene, Alfred La Fleur, ando, Beowulf, brennbaer, clothearednincompo, drumour, 9 invisible), 473 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1407093 03/30/10 12:52 PM
M
mucci Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi, does anyone already had the chance to play the new Alicias Keys Yamaha C3 piano sample set from Native Instruments which was released just Yesterday? I'm almost into buying it for my Netbook (as an alternative sound for my CA63 and my other stage piano), but still hesitating before someone can provide some experience with it. It's only 99 USD (and 89 Euro at thomann.de).

Last edited by kawaian; 03/30/10 12:53 PM.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by kawaian
..I'm almost into buying it for my Netbook

Are you sure it will run on a Netbook? Some netbooks have very low-powered processors in them.

You can download the free "Kontact 4 player" from the NI web site. It comes with some piano and other sounds and try it on the your computer. Then if it works, NI's "Alicia's Keys" is based on the same player software.

It's not a waste of time, the Kontact 4 player is required to use Alicia's Keys and comes with many usable samples.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have it on pre-order. I don't expect to receive my copy until early April. The latest date that Guitar Center has for the software is 4/6

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
mucci Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChrisA
..I'm almost into buying it for my Netbook

Are you sure it will run on a Netbook? Some netbooks have very low-powered processors in them.

You can download the free "Kontact 4 player" from the NI web site. It comes with some piano and other sounds and try it on the your computer. Then if it works, NI's "Alicia's Keys" is based on the same player software.

It's not a waste of time, the Kontact 4 player is required to use Alicia's Keys and comes with many usable samples.

Well that's to be determined. I also have a better laptop with 2-core CPU which I will use if the netbook is not powerful enough, but that's only second choice since the netbook is just "there" and small enough and with a decent soundcard in it (no hiss, good frequency response, virtually no delay with ASIO4all), so it would be my favorite: No power plug for 5-7 hours, just two cables to the CA63: audio out for sound and USB for piano playing.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, does anyone already had the chance to play the new Alicias Keys Yamaha C3 piano sample set from Native Instruments which was released just Yesterday? I'm almost into buying it for my Netbook (as an alternative sound for my CA63 and my other stage piano), but still hesitating before someone can provide some experience with it. It's only 99 USD (and 89 Euro at thomann.de).

Sorry I'm unable to answer your question. However I'm interested in the same software, and have successfully ordered other equipment in the past from Thomann.
I note they state that 7 GB free disk space is required for this software installation. As my HD is not that speedy (not 7200) can anyone say if it would be more advisable to install and run this software from say an 8GB or 16Gb flash drive?

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
As my HD is not that speedy (not 7200) can anyone say if it would be more advisable to install and run this software from say an 8GB or 16Gb flash drive?

As I wrote above the basic player is available for free and can be downloaded. Get it and try it out.

The free sample libraries are a reasonable test of your system but of course the larger sample library will tax the system more. However I think you can turn down the number of features like key-off samples and such make it run on a lower powered system. That is the point of NI offing the free download, so you can try out the product before you pay the money

BTW, the performance of those thumb drives varies a LOT. Some are fast and others are very, very slow. Copy 10GB and measure with a watch. Also it is not really that hard to swap out the hard drive in a notebook computer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm in the process of installing Alicia's Keys right now. I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

Rich

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, so it is installed and running pretty smoothly on my dedicated music computer. I'm not set up for half pedal quite yet, so I can't advise on how the pedal samples sound. It definitely makes my Casio PX310 sound like a totally different instrument. Chopin sounds fantastic - I'm working on Preludes # 7 & 20. Hopefully, I'll be able to record a couple of pieces sometime over the weekend.

Rich

C
C
Would love to hear your pieces / see your videos. Glad you love it, it's a bargain

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So, here is an old recording that I re-rendered with Alicia's Keys.

Chopin Prelude No 4

And here's a new one recorded with Alicia's Keys.

Chopen Prelude No 7

Rich

Last edited by DragonPianoPlayer; 04/05/10 02:39 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #62 - May 15th 2021
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:20 AM
Recital #62 - General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:05 AM
Secondary digital piano, need to move move out a few times
by Alfred La Fleur - 05/15/21 05:19 AM
Is this rust or oxidation on the soundboard?
by Bo0osted - 05/15/21 03:35 AM
Help with fingering for this piece
by PegasusGr - 05/14/21 05:58 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,939
Posts3,093,654
Members101,521
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission