2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
sg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
We are looking for a grand piano and came across an A.B. Chase claimed to be made around 1930 for $6000. It has a mahogany finish and ivory keys. I am not sure if it has been restored, but it does not look too bad although one can see that it is an aged instrument. WHat my question is, if the instrument is worth the amount asked (6K includes delivery and tuning) and how hard would it be to trade-in or resale this instrument if we were to go for something else in the future, and what the resale value of it would be.
Thank you very much.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The A.B. Chase Piano Company was based in Norwalk, Ohio, and they made a very good instrument in theirt day. The problem is that "their day" was quite some time ago, and when considering an older piano, the type and quality of maintenance and upkeep that it has (or has not) received over the years is at least as important as the pedigree of its original manufacture. Without any additional knowledge of the acual piano, it is impossible to answer your questions. Find a good local piano technician and have him/her give you a detailed evaluation of the piano, and an estimated cost of any required repairs. A good tech would also be able to give you some educated idea regarding possible resale value, as well.

Since this was one of the better manufacturers of its time, it's possible that this would be a fair price if it has been relatively well maintained and has no serious defects. But if it suffered from a few flaws that only a competent professional could warn you about, it may only be worth its weight in firewood - which was the exact fate of an old A.B. Chase upright I once came across. For what it's worth, it burned quite nicely.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
As Dwain Lee said, A.B.Chase was a very respectable maker in its day and made some nice pianos, but its day was a long time ago. Whether it's worth $6000 depends on whether it has had some major work or not. If it's in original condition it wouldn't be worth $6000 by a long shot. About two years ago I had a 6'4" A.B.Chase in my shop. I bought it in original condition for $2200, rebuilt it - it turned out very well - and sold it for $11,000. I was lucky to get that. The customer was a referral from one of my earlier customers which always makes things easier, and she originally came in to see a 12 year old Yamaha C3 that I had. She ended up liking the A.B.Chase better and buying it instead, but it was the Yamaha C3 that got her in the door. If I didn't have the Yamaha and was trying to get her in to see the A.B.Chase it would have been very tough sledding.

As far as selling it later when you want to upgrade, if you are hoping to get anywhere near your $6000 back out of it that would be tough. You could probably count on getting about $2500 to $3500 for it depending on how it looks.

Whatever you do, don't buy it without having it checked out by an independent tech that's working for you.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, Ca
www.pianosource.com

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission