2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The full version of Kontakt is required to play the Black Grand. This issue was discussed recently in the Northern Sounds forum here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69693

Greg.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by sullivang
The full version of Kontakt is required to play the Black Grand.

Sampletekk needs to put this notice on their web site. Actually I would never buy a library in any encrypted format.

But they do offer "Black Grand" and all their work in format other than NI's Kontakt. The "Giga" format is well supported (or it will be as Garritan has bought Giga)
and Sampletekk offers samples in EXS24 too so that should cover everyone.

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, FogVilleLad. Maybe I wasn't very clear when I spoke. No, there is not a chance that I'm going to construct my own software piano. These things are best left to the experts. I would be happy enough if I could fiddle with available software. wink

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Ok, understood.

Re the fiddling, hv's posts re convolution are tough slugging for technoignoramuses. I've heard that aspect of sampling in action but still can't completely understand what he's saying. Since you seem to be willing to continue to expand your knowledge, I'm going to suggest a way to *experience* that aspect. (This is how I have to do it;-))

One of the developers of proaudiovault's company authorized Bluthner Model One is an expert in this area. One of the distinctive characteristics of this piano is that it is actually intended to be used with convolution. To experience convolution, click on the DEMOS button on proaudiovault's site. In the left pane, click on "Classical." Scroll down to "Here is the BDMO out of the box with no processing" and click on the link. This piano was exceptionally close miq'd in an exceptionally quiet recording studio. The tone will be exceptionally percussive.

Now scroll down to the para immediately below. "The aria but with Custom TI no. 6. (custom section). The BDMO timbre has been adjusted so it sounds like an 1863 Blüthner owned by Kasimoff-Blüthner Piano Co. (Los Angeles). Serge Kasimoff is at the piano." and click the "Play demo" link. What you're hearing is the same raw samples you just listened to, but with timbre and tones transformed by impulses. (That "TI" which I bolded stands for Timbrel Impulse.)

If this whets your appetite, scroll up and click on "Jazz." Under Demos - Jazz, scroll down to the last para, "The song Skylark with a larger dynamic range 65% dynamic range patch,* reverb impulse number 13 at -5db and sustain impulse number 6 with the original Blüthner piano sound (no Ti used) and click 'Plan [sic.] demo.'" This is how the Bluthner Model One might sound when played at home. Again, same samples as the Aria, but modified differently.

The developers include examples of modifications which can transform the Model One's basic timbre and make it sound like other makes of piano. To my ears these impulses are much less successful. Your ears may very well vary.

* Another way to express the "65% dynamic range" is to say that these samples use 35% compression. Compression makes the samples sound more full, but reduces dynamic, i.e., volume, range. Forty-five percent would probably be used in a mix.

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I have an old full Kontakt2 that I play Sampletekk libs with. I see they've beat up on the K4 player over on vi too:
http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14627
Probably best to clarify directly with Sampletekk.

Sorry about going so far out on the IR/convolution thing. Suffice it to say its exciting stuff that seems to combine elements of sampling and physical modeling to emulate just about anything. Be it whole pianos or their materials or parts. Even different microphones, other gear, and physical spaces. I mentioned Altiverb software earlier but my fav on the PC is Pristine Spaces... if you want to get into VST effects and processing, you should check out their web site (Voxengo); they have a large number of free plug-ins there.

Howard

Last edited by hv; 02/05/10 01:40 PM.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Howard, your presentation was fine. The problem is that some of us are not sufficiently technically oriented. So we - I at least - have to back into understanding technical subjects by starting with the finished product. That's not saying anything bad about either perspective, it's just a matter of acknowledging that different people will have different skills.

In a way, this is no different than the conversations which piano techs have with their clients. On the acoustic forum you can sometimes see posts from techs re the necessity of their learning what their clients' words actually mean. For example, one person's "mellow" may be another's "dull." This is just an example of technical and non-techinical people having to learn to communicate with each other.

No biggie, and certainly not a reason to not present material from the point of view of someone who actually understands it;-)

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, FogVilleLad. It's a tad too technical for me at the moment. I really need to gain mileage on getting my hands on the few VSTs first.

The lapse in reply is because I was up in the air. Just arrived in Bangkok 2 days ago, and the Internet was down.

I managed to do some shopping in Bangkok, and the 13" Macbook caught my eyes. Going at 37K baht, which is about USD1,120. The speed of the processor is about 2.2 GHz, but the speed of HDD is 5400. Maybe ChrisA can advise on this? Must the speed of HDD really be at 7200 as suggested by Alden Skinner ?

As for my current iMac, which remains in Bangkok (and I will have to try means to get it on board a plane), the specs are as follows:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

Nothing mentioned about the HDD speed though.

Last edited by Cashley; 02/08/10 01:10 AM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Apple's everyday list price here in the US is $999 for the 13" macbook or $1199 for the13" Macbook Pro. Which one can you get for $1120?

The MBP has some extras that might be worth the extra $200
Max RAM goes to 8GB rather than 4GB
Firewire 800 port
Optical audio input and output. rather than just output only
Aluminum "unibody" construction.

The RPM on the disk is a compromise for battery life, heat and acoustic noise. I think the new drives have the bits packed very dense. What determines the data rate is the arial bits density times the tangental velocity of the disk platter. Bit densities have become very high making even a 5400 rpm drive fast. If you get the MBP it has a FW800 port which allows you to connect a very fast desktop class external disk.

For audio recording the data rates are very low. For video editing, get the external FW800 disk.

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, ChrisA.

$1,120 is the price of 13" Mac Book, not the Pro model. Pro is going at 50K baht, which is $1,515.

What is the purpose of optical input, if I may ask ?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Cashley
Thanks, ChrisA.

$1,120 is the price of 13" Mac Book, not the Pro model. Pro is going at 50K baht, which is $1,515.

What is the purpose of optical input, if I may ask ?

Maybe you'd like to record something that has an optical output. I think the Roland v-paino has an optical out. Many CD players and digital tape recorders have optical outputs. As do most flat panel TV sets.

Optical fiber output is more important because people use that to drive a 5.1 surround sound speaker system.

I guess the price of the MB must include some kind of local tax. Apple's list price is $999.

J
J
Can you tell me what model of tweeters/subwoofers you use and what type of driver? I just got a Roland FP4. Has great sound, but would like to try to give it some more base.

J
J
Dewster, Can you tell me what model of tweeters/subwoofers you use and what type of driver? I just got a Roland FP4. Has great sound, but would like to try to give it some more base. Thanks smile

J
J
NB: The link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQ2F-wLLxw appears to be private and does not work.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission