2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Bach_ingMaddie, ando, astrotoy, c++, BachToTheFuture, Burkey, Bluesy42, 11 invisible), 1,108 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Does anybody have any experience of EPTA competitions?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Rickster

I remember a dear older lady at my church telling me ... I said “Mrs. Walker, I messed up”. She said, “Ricky, it did us all a world of good to hear you mess up”! I thought to myself, wow, they like it if I do well and they like it if I mess up… it doesn’t get any better than that!!

lol! smile I know what she means!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sandy,

Have you thought of recording your music and then sharing it with your friends rather than performing in public?
That's what I do too....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

IPIBAHN Sandy
For the most part I don't like "performing". frown
That said, I'm trying to get over it.
My wife hears me play all the time. Especially if she is watching the talking heads.
The cleaning lady gets to hear me play every second Monday as a result of advice in another thread from Monica K.
I've now started with a teacher, he and his family (whoever is home during the lesson) will also get to hear me play.
Sooner or later the nervousness will evaporate away. I hope. smile
I have no desire to perform. I'd just like to loose the nervousness.
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
I don't want to perform either. I would be totally happy to only play for my own enjoyment. That said, I don't want to limit myself to doing only that. I want to be able to enjoy playing for others if I so choose in the future.

I work at church a few days a week so I make it a point to play a song or two every time I'm there. Sometimes there is no one there, but I get nervous just knowing someone can come in at any time. (I'd never here them come in.) I go to my neighbors house every couple of weeks to play a few songs for her.

I purposely do it because I don't want my nerves dictating what I can and can't do.

I can relate to this 100% as a singer. I sang in front of people for a good 6 months before my nerves stopped controlling me. (I still don't sing in front of just my husband.) Truth be told, my nerves took all the enjoyment out of singing for others. The first time I sang it was awful and I was so upset. Each time it gets easier. I still get nervous, but the nerves vanish when I start singing. I don't want to have to go through that with the piano too.

If being perfect was required in order to perform, then the stage would always be empty. Don't purposely limit yourself.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TimR
A recital is pretty artificial in that, unlike most performance, it is really just for the performer rather than focused on the audience.

Yes. And it is also very different in that you'd chose a piece that you need to work on that is a challenge for the pianist.

In other performance setting you'd play at a lower level well down in your comfort zone. I think most of us have a few pieces we are working on and can't yet play perfectly or even at all. But we also have our older pieces we know we could play. When someone asks you to play pick one of the easy pieces. Pick out a set of easy works and every few weeks practice them.

Also remember. Most people really don't care if you make a mistake, most will not even notice if you can play through it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At this juncture in my learning (about 2 1/2 years of lessons), I've chosen not to perform.

Outwardly, I'll tell people that I simply prefer not to and that I play only for my own enjoyment. Inwardly, I think it has to do with a discomfort I feel when I think of performing, primarily nervousness, caused by the thought of making a single mistake, perhaps even snowballing into a complete melt down (cannot continue). Of course, I realize all of this is in my head, but I weight the potential of what entertainment value I could offer by performing versus the nervousness and perhaps self-fulfilling prediction that I will falter during a performance and latter outweights the former by a landslide -- at least for me.

Yes, intellectually, I understand, its just a song. If I make a mistake, so what? No harm, no fowl. But for me, I simply would rather not. Its a personal choice, I think.

Perhaps things will change, in time.

Getting used to playing in front of others isn't an easy thing to do, but it is worth the effort. Playing for your own enjoyment is great, but your enjoyment will really skyrocket if you can share your enjoyment with others. Start by playing for your loved ones family and friends, work up a few pieces that you know really really well, confidence in knowing the piece cold will help alleviate part of the nervousness. Ask your spouse (if you have one) or another close relative to sit and listen and be your pretend audience once in a while. Then the next time you have family over, maybe play a piece for them you've been working on, even if it's just Happy birthday for everyone to sing along with. Just remember a mistake isn't the end of the world just keep plowing on through, and most of them won't even notice the flub. The only way to get used to playing in front of people is to do it. Your friends and family won't think any less of you, because you made a few mistakes in a piano piece, and they may even give you a lot of credit for having the guts to try it. I've played in church with a hundred people in the pews, and have really thought I had stunk up the place, but afterwards everyone comes up and tells me how much they enjoyed the music (no matter how badly I thought I did).

Last edited by RayE; 02/02/10 11:44 PM.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,601
Posts3,105,132
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission